Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slave Cylinder Failed :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Slave Cylinder Failed :(

Well my hydraulic slave cylinder failed tonight. I was driving and coming up to a red light and I noticed the clutch was losing pressure. As I drove and shifted into 2nd, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and I had to coast it 2 miles in 2nd gear, babying the car.

I'll be ordering the ZSpeedPerformance slave cylinder and will have that installed at my local headquarters (Hill's Garage in MD).

Has anyone had experience with flatbeds on lowered cars? I'll need to get my car towed and I'm dropped 1.75" on all 4 corners and I don't want to screw up my bumper or exhaust.

P.S. SouthBend Stage 2 clutch was on the car at the time.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
How long did your OEM slave last with the aftermarket clutch? I have Southbend Stage III and my OEM lasted about 9K. I put the heavy duty CSC in and it's been great so far.

I got flatbed towed and it screwed up my front bumper and Top Secret front lip. I got towed a second time and no damage at all. My car is definitely not slammed. The difference is in the operator. Tell them you are lowered when you call and ask them if they can guarantee they won't damage it. The operator should use board ramps to make sure you don't scrape going on or off. If you can take videos with your phone or have a camcorder be syre to video the car being put on and taken off. That way if there's damage they'll just pay instead if saying they didn't do it.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
That sucks.. I installed the z speed hd slave when I put in my jwt clutch. My master cylinder started to go out right away.. Losing pressure big time. Thankfully it was replaced under warranty.. Good luck!!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
That sucks.. I installed the z speed hd slave when I put in my jwt clutch. My master cylinder started to go out right away.. Losing pressure big time. Thankfully it was replaced under warranty.. Good luck!!
I did that too. I replaced the Master cylinder first, then the heavy duty CSC a week later. No warranty left on mine.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 AM
G3708

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
Well my hydraulic slave cylinder failed tonight. I was driving and coming up to a red light and I noticed the clutch was losing pressure. As I drove and shifted into 2nd, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and I had to coast it 2 miles in 2nd gear, babying the car.
Same thing happened twice for the pass 6 months on my coupe. But did you know that if you fill the clutch fliud you can shift gear again but ofcurse if would ran out. Anyway my point is i did that till i got the car to my house. Then i got the car towed with flatbed since my car is lowered. They have to use 2 by 4 wood on both side wheels to get it up on the truck.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I had about 4,500 miles on the clutch at the time the slave cylinder went out. The slave cylinder was brand new so it only had the same amount of mileage as the clutch. I had the bearing sleeve from ZSpeed since the HD slave cylinder wasn't available at the time.

I know I could have topped off my fluid, but when your slave cylinder fails there's only one place your fluid can go, and that's in the transmission housing. I'm sure my flywheel and clutch are both covered in fluid right now.

I'll make sure to take videos. I was VERY specific when I called that my vehicle is lowered and that it can not be damage otherwise will be holding AAA (them) liable.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I had the exact same thing happen; replaced clutch, flywheel, OEM slave, Zspeed bearing (a few weeks before heavy duty CSC was released ). Mine died a very slow death over a lot of miles, not suddenly. 9K later replaced the master because I thought it had to be the problem. It worked only for a couple weeks and then went out again and I swapped out the heavy duty CSC. Works much better than ever now.

If I were you, I'd consider going ahead and replacing the master cylinder as well if possible. It's about $100 for the part. You will be very pissed if you upgrade the CSC only to have another component fail in a short time and have it die on you again.

FWIW, I didn't lose fluid when the CSC or master failed, but I could not bleed all of the air out if the system. It was causing cavitation that was inducing air into the line no matter how much I tried to bleed it.