Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Love the 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir
. Yesterday against an AMG c63 the g37 was dead even
nice try, but not happening.

Anyway....its good to hear some compliments on the 7AT rather than whines about made up "flaring" etc
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesshifflett
Personally, I think the 7at lags way too much. When driving agressively in manual mode it often holds gear way too long and will sometimes let the car sit on the rev limiter. IMO, it's been pretty frustrating.

LOL... an there is a thread.. in fact.. many threads for your comment.

I enjoy the 7 speed -- in all honesty. I think it's got great passing power onthe highway which my wife's G35x lacks with the 5AT.

Also.. acceleration is sweet...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
There are tons of threads and posts by people who don't like how the seven speed auto works, with sprinklings of "I like it" stories. Here's a thread just for the "I like it" tales. Maybe it takes off, and maybe it doesn't.

Well put.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I just wish they would have added a high mpg cog to the excellent 5 speed AT and ended up w/ a 6AT. An aggressive 5 speed w/ a nice overdrive no-load gear for highway cruising would have nailed it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 7AT is really nice. I've driven a couple of G35s with the 5AT and a 2008 G37 coupe with the 5AT and the 7AT is smoother and quieter since it keeps the RPMs down on the highway. It's a great transmission.

I know several people with other Infinitis (M, FX, EX) and they all love the 7AT too.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing like hitting the paddle then ducking into the next lane to pass. Sweet
Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
dednock

Does anyone know if the 7AT can handle power increases to the engine, such as GTM's stage II S/C or does it have to be modified? If so, what mods are needed to handle the increased power?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Conn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dednock
Does anyone know if the 7AT can handle power increases to the engine, such as GTM's stage II S/C or does it have to be modified? If so, what mods are needed to handle the increased power?
I think a valve body upgrade is required.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
M56 uses the same tranny. So I'm sure it could handle it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wzupdoc
I have an '09 with the 7AT. The downshifting isn't always the smoothest but I never even notice it anymore unless I'm consciously trying to see how it feels. But when my wife is in the car she notices and it bugs her - but it's weird because it doesn't downshift harshly every time. But when you get on the car a little bit (or a lot) holy crap that transmission is nice. Butter smooth and holds the gears just right. And every time I do get on it I'm surprised how it just keeps pulling and pulling - unlike my old Accord 4 banger that started to peter out at about 70 mph.
wzupdoc, I don't think you can compare any stock, non turbo, 4 banger to the G35 or G37, 5 AT or 7AT. I felt the same in 2007 when I traded UP to the G35X from an Altima SL V-6. Which reminds, the Torque Converter on the 2005 Altima had similar problems that I feel about my 2010 G37X with the 7AT. The Altima had a V-6 engine, front wheel drive, 5AT with manual shifting capabilities which afetr 20k miles on the clock started to show soem real bucking & jerkiness in stop and go traffic 20-40 mph in D mode. Valve Body was chnaged, that was no help. My mechanic at that time said "its the Torque Converter that should have been changed.

My 2007 G35X had some rough shifting (check out that forum) - the Dealer replaced the Valve Body in that car and after 1 year the rough 2-3 gear shift was evident, not horrendous but noticeable. mentioned to my Dealer - car was 2 years old, they confirmed, and Infiniti Approved a New Transmission. WOW what service. Unfortunately, I am not as content with the 7AT as the posters are here. Too much quirkiness and gear hunting for my taste, especially in stop and go traffic scenarios. Lots of hesitation which can vary everyday!!! That's the 7 speed automatic transmission with Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) per their web site.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yup i love my 7AT
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Conn
I think a valve body upgrade is required.
Can't put my finger on it right now, but I think I've seen advice either from an Infiniti tech or a FI vendor that the stock tranny should be fine with a stage 1, but that for stage 2-3 you need to beef it up (and the engine too).
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I had an '04 5AT and it had decent torque in 2nd and 3rd gear, lost some in 4th and had almost nothing in 5th.

The 7AT wants to go. 2nd, 3rd, 4th AND 5th gear... loads of pulling power.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
HBSURFDAD

Originally Posted by Almatti
wzupdoc, I don't think you can compare any stock, non turbo, 4 banger to the G35 or G37, 5 AT or 7AT. I felt the same in 2007 when I traded UP to the G35X from an Altima SL V-6. Which reminds, the Torque Converter on the 2005 Altima had similar problems that I feel about my 2010 G37X with the 7AT. The Altima had a V-6 engine, front wheel drive, 5AT with manual shifting capabilities which afetr 20k miles on the clock started to show soem real bucking & jerkiness in stop and go traffic 20-40 mph in D mode. Valve Body was chnaged, that was no help. My mechanic at that time said "its the Torque Converter that should have been changed.

My 2007 G35X had some rough shifting (check out that forum) - the Dealer replaced the Valve Body in that car and after 1 year the rough 2-3 gear shift was evident, not horrendous but noticeable. mentioned to my Dealer - car was 2 years old, they confirmed, and Infiniti Approved a New Transmission. WOW what service. Unfortunately, I am not as content with the 7AT as the posters are here. Too much quirkiness and gear hunting for my taste, especially in stop and go traffic scenarios. Lots of hesitation which can vary everyday!!! That's the 7 speed automatic transmission with Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) per their web site.

I am a pure newbie to this forum and to performance sedans.
To Allmati:
I have come across your complaining in every single thread about transmissions. Not once do you offer any insight other than to bitch about something YOU CHOOSE to buy. The OP started this to be a POSITIVE thread, did you not grasp that concept? Are all the other threads not enough for you to be negative about a choice YOU made?
To your point in another thread, how does the dealer adding paddles solve your issue? Was the “Sport” option not available when you bought your car? Do you not have the manual shift gate on your model? Is it too much for you to reach over to shift your gears (like any “manual” trans requires?) if you don’t like how the 7AT “hunts around”? YOU made a choice and now someone else is supposed to fix what you judge to not be perfect?

To the thread:
Only had my car a week and it is much better than any other auto transmission car I have ever driven. I really enjoy the DS mode and am INSANLY stoked with the “floppy paddle” manual mode. Yes there is a slight delay in shifting, but I bought my car to be a FUN DD/commuter that is a blast on back roads, not a pretend race car. I made an educated decision and will enjoy the ride.

HBSURFDAD
Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
7AT>5AT! I love how it will downshift at ~38mph and will hit 7000+rpm. No other auto is that aggressive, also love the fact that it doesnt shift for you in manual mode when you redline.

Quick Reply: Love the 7AT