Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Normal to grind into second near redline, or did the prev owner bork my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
BagFalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal to grind into second near redline, or did the prev owner bork my tranny?

Greetings,

I picked up my 08 Coupe used with 28K miles about a month ago. I finally tried a 1-2 shift right at redline as quickly as I could, and the car grinds into second. It goes in, but it sounds awful.

I've been lurking the forums a while, and it seems to be commom knowledge that the synchros on the 6mt are weak. Is it to the point where an agressive shift at redline will grind a little even on a new tranny, or is my synchro toast from the previous owner?

Other than that issue, the car shifts fine and the clutch has solid engagement. The throwout bearing (or input shaft, or pressure plate, or something) is a little noisy, but only intermittently.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
sounds like your clutch could be starting to take a crap.. high rpms and a clutch starting to go abit sounds about right..
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Gee37S

My car is at the dealer as we speak for this exact issue. I've had my car for one year now and this issue had come to my attention about 6 months ago, but now it's worse than before. I'll let you know what the dealership tells me, this is absolutely not normal though. Has nothing to do with me not pushing the clutch all the way. Before this car I had never grinded a gear for over 6-7 years...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by Gee37S
My car is at the dealer as we speak for this exact issue. I've had my car for one year now and this issue had come to my attention about 6 months ago, but now it's worse than before. I'll let you know what the dealership tells me, this is absolutely not normal though. Has nothing to do with me not pushing the clutch all the way. Before this car I had never grinded a gear for over 6-7 years...
I'm betting they see your mods and try and void the **** out of your warranty.

What symptom did you check it in under on your work order? Did they give you a loaner? Did they have you sign that you will pay a diag fee if it's not a warranty covered issue?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the dealership should replace your transmission for free if the synchro is bad
Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by BagFalls
I'm betting they see your mods and try and void the **** out of your warranty.

What symptom did you check it in under on your work order? Did they give you a loaner? Did they have you sign that you will pay a diag fee if it's not a warranty covered issue?
Didn't sign anything and they are paying for my rental at Avis for the duration of the visit. Got off the phone with them 5 min ago their transmission guy is having a look at it and should get back to me sooner than later. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Gee37S

And checked it in as a 2nd gear grind when shifting near redline during aggressive driving
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by Gee37S
And checked it in as a 2nd gear grind when shifting near redline during aggressive driving
Cool good luck. I'm always worried the dealer will claim abuse or operator error if I check in my car for anything tranny related.. and it's hard for me to prove it wasnt abuse considering I've only had the car 2000 miles of it's life

Either way, thank you for sharing your experience so far. Looking forward to your next update.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by BagFalls
Cool good luck. I'm always worried the dealer will claim abuse or operator error if I check in my car for anything tranny related.. and it's hard for me to prove it wasnt abuse considering I've only had the car 2000 miles of it's life

Either way, thank you for sharing your experience so far. Looking forward to your next update.
Yeah tell me about it. I'm still a little nervous considering the mods I have on my car, specially the short shifter. However, I did experience this before I got the short shifter installed on my car. I contacted TWM to ask them if it may be related with their short shifter and they assured me that it was unrelated and they haven't had anyone tell them they've had issues with it. Fingers crossed for now hoping this will be taken care of by the dealership.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
BagFalls

*bump* So whats the latest, Gee? I scheduled service for mine on Monday.. the tech sounded hesitant over the phone. I also told him my seat has the bubble issue and he said he wasnt sure if it would be a covered problem.... really nervous they'll tell me to get fcked. >.<
Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Gee37S

Didn't get a call yesterday, called twice this morning and my service tech was unavailable or not at his office. Left him a message waiting to hear from them ASAP...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Gee37S

Well they couldn't replicate the issue so I'm driving down to the dealership after lunch to sort this out. The tech is going to jump in the car with me and I'll have to replicate the grind.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
BagFalls

Uh oh. Good luck! I'm sure I'll have to do the same.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Gee37S

I figured this would happen. I don't think a tech would feel comfortable driving the car in an aggressive manner and shifting near redline, specially in the rainy weather we've been having over the past couple of days.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Gee37S

Just left the dealership. Test drove it with the tech and he thinks it might be related to the short shifter. I'm going to remove it and see if it resolves the problem. If it doesnt, they'll then order the new parts.

Quick Reply: Normal to grind into second near redline, or did the prev owner bork my tranny?