Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Which model gets Paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Realpatmurphy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OC Infiniti located off on Beach/McFadden now sells the paddles too (eBay but they said they will sell instore to)! I'm going to pick them up soon!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ballz3
^
What do you mean by the performance being less because of the paddles? are you referring to the added weight? That's the only thing I could think of that would be different, but I could just take dump before driving to offset that difference.

I do use mine all the time, too. I like the sportiness of keeping my hands on the wheel. I know it's not an auto-clutch manual transmission, but I do have to say that in manual mode, it does behave (feel) very much like the single auto-clutch manual transmissions I have driven.
I have the paddles (xS sedan), and use the actual shifter more often. It reacts quicker... at least I feel it does. But the paddles look cool. lol
Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^
What do you mean by the performance being less because of the paddles? are you referring to the added weight? That's the only thing I could think of that would be different, but I could just take dump before driving to offset that difference.

I do use mine all the time, too. I like the sportiness of keeping my hands on the wheel. I know it's not an auto-clutch manual transmission, but I do have to say that in manual mode, it does behave (feel) very much like the single auto-clutch manual transmissions I have driven.
Speed of shifting, DS is much quicker. If you like using manual mode that's fine, if they were like the GTR's I'd use them more often, as is I prefer DS mode.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Speed of shifting, DS is much quicker. If you like using manual mode that's fine, if they were like the GTR's I'd use them more often, as is I prefer DS mode.
Interesting...I'll have to check this out on my drive home tonight. I find the manual mode to be very responsive. I very rarely use DS since it hangs in the gears too long at the wrong times (mostly since it's preparing me for sporty driving, but I'm stuck in traffic, so it sits closer to redline than I need it).

and I completely agree with getting the GT-R's transmission. That's all I'm waiting for our cars to get is a dual-auto clutch manual. They could take away more trunk space or my "upgraded" Bose stereo and give me that instead.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting...I'll have to check this out on my drive home tonight. I find the manual mode to be very responsive. I very rarely use DS since it hangs in the gears too long at the wrong times (mostly since it's preparing me for sporty driving, but I'm stuck in traffic, so it sits closer to redline than I need it).

and I completely agree with getting the GT-R's transmission. That's all I'm waiting for our cars to get is a dual-auto clutch manual. They could take away more trunk space or my "upgraded" Bose stereo and give me that instead.
I agree about hanging in the gear too long at the wrong times in DS for normal driving with some spirited driving mixed in. I either use D or paddles. If you manually shift with the stick it's the exact same thing as if you do it with the paddles, just a different location.

I've been very pleased with the paddles over the last 2 months or so since I got them, and the only time I use D now is if I'm low on gas and driving like grandpa. If you like the responsiveness of the manually shifting stick, the paddles will be the same.

Where I find that D or DS is better is in situations like downshifting to pass when all I have to do is floor it and not worry about clicking down three times from 7 to 4 before I do. D and DS are probably (almost certainly) better at hitting redline than I am. If I wait a hair too long it pauses before shifting longer than normal, like I almost hit the rev limiter.

Even my friend with an STS-V said he was surprised at how quick the shifts happen after you pull the paddle. Is it in the milliseconds like a Ferrari? no. But it's pretty good.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I did some experimenting of my own and here is my observation. I find that the manual mode and DS shift the same (manual is just as quick as DS), but since there is a lag from when you pull the paddle (or the shifter), it makes me feel like the shift is lower. But, the actual shift time into the next gear feels exactly the same as DS to me. I also noticed that the lag between button and shift is actually much shorter when you have the pedal down further, which is usually more noticable in the lower RPMs (under 4k). It seems like DS shifts around 4k mostly, too...which is why the shifts feel quicker. When I'm in manual mode, I let the revs go higher, but when I actually shift in the higher RPMs, my foot isn't as deep as the initial acceleration through the RPMs, so the shift sequence takes a little longer. If I really keep my foot in it, shift are fast and harsher at higher RPMs, and quick.

Does that make sense? That's my experience anyway. :thumbsup
Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
ds is ok for spirited driving in mostly straight lines. If your on a hilly windy road it does not drop properly in my opinion at the right times. Manual mode imo is the best for really getting into it and having control. But then again, could have gotten a stick