Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help !! Stripped Cat Bolt !!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation !! Stripped Cat Bolt !!

Tried to install my RTP's today. We stripped the passenger's side famous evil top bolt that is accessed through the engine bay.

I have all the proper tools and extensions. I used 1/2" breaker bar with a lot of 1/2" extensions and a 14mm 6-head socket and stripped the bolt. Didn't get to loosen it at all. Went to Sears and bought a extract bolt-kit and managed to loosen it about 1/4 turn. Then the bolt stripped some more.

Then I thought maybe we should just break the head of the bolt by over-tightening it. I tightened it about 1/4 then stopped because I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not.

I've sprayed this bolt with PB blaster over a few days and it's still giving me trouble.

At this point the bolt is tightened normally and is stripped counter-clockwise.

What are my options? After spending all this money on tools and the time I put into it I don't really want to take it to a shop. I can do the install in less than an hour if it weren't for these two top bolts.

I've broken it down to two options:

1. Drive the car around and let the bolt heat-up then try to tighten and break the head of the bolt. (Is this safe? Will the flanges bend?)

2. Take it to a shop and let them blow-torch and remove the bolt. (Can the blow-torch reach the bolt?)

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Did you use this type of damaged nut remover?

I can't understand how it could strip the head more.
Also try a Gator Grip socket.

And try using a powerful impact wrench.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i stripped a Cat bolt as well, went to home depot and got that bolt extractor (pics bb has with the red case). its AMAZING. The teeth dig in right away and it wont slip, seriously everyone needs one
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Did you use this type of damaged nut remover?

I can't understand how it could strip the head more.
Also try a Gator Grip socket.

And try using a powerful impact wrench.
That's pretty much exactly what I used. I haven't tried the Gator Grip remover but I heard it doesn't work so well.

That bolt extractor managed to loosen the bolt 1/4 of a turn and then it wouldn't bite the bolt anymore. I can only tighten the bolt...

So far I've tried:

Deep 1/2 6point 14mm socket
Shallow 1/2 6point 14mm socket
Shallow 1/2 12point 14mm socket
Craftsman 14mm Bolt-Out Extractor (Manages to only loosen the bolt 1/4 of a turn then failed)

All this using a long 1/2" breaker bar...

Bolt is pretty much stripped counter-clockwise. I can still tighten it though.

I'm thinking about driving the car and letting the bolt heat-up then over-tightening to try to break the head of the bolt. I'm just not sure if this will cause any damage to the flanges, cats, or manifold...
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
The passenger side is the tough one? I got that one easily with a cheater bar on a 1/2" breaker bar. It was the drivers side that is a pain. If I were you, I'd cut my losses and have a shop take care of it.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
akuma_83

Couple of options:

- Drive around like you said to heat up the bolt and try to break the head off... I highly doubt you will bend the flange... my $0.02

- Use a blow torch to torch off the bolt.. if you have one ?

- Do what I did, cut the SOB off with a Dremel !

- Or like others are suggesting to do... Suck up the mistake and have a shop handle it... more than likely they will do what I mentioned above... but hey, its one thing less for you to do Hope this helps... GL Bro !

BTW the passenger side was easy, and the driver side was the PITA for me...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
thats why i had the shop do mine...had them done in under an hour
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if you cant use the stripped bot extractor to turn it anymore go to smaller size
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some experience with this as I installed my HFC's a few months ago. I stripped the drivers side bolt after repeated breaking attempts with the regular socket, extensions, and a breaker bar. So I went out and bought a bolt extracting kit like mentioned above. I hammered it into place and tried, but failed to break the bolt out. I said screw it and borrowed a dremmel from the shop and laid under the car for a good 5 minutes staring at the cat and bolt contemplating my next move. I don't have any experience using the tool, otherwise I would have sawed everything off myself. So I turned the dremmel back in and went to a shop so they could blow torch it off. Ended up costing me only about $50, but they blow torched the cat to heat and expand it, used compressed air on the bolt itself to cool and shrink it, then used a high powered impact gun to extract it. I wish I had gotten to keep the bolt, but they tossed it.

I recommend going to a shop and having them do it to save yourself the headache. It won't cost much, but it'll give you peace of mind in case they mess something up, it will be on them.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by akuma_83
Couple of options:

- Drive around like you said to heat up the bolt and try to break the head off... I highly doubt you will bend the flange... my $0.02

- Use a blow torch to torch off the bolt.. if you have one ?

- Do what I did, cut the SOB off with a Dremel !

- Or like others are suggesting to do... Suck up the mistake and have a shop handle it... more than likely they will do what I mentioned above... but hey, its one thing less for you to do Hope this helps... GL Bro !

BTW the passenger side was easy, and the driver side was the PITA for me...

I've been told to try to break off the bolt and that's what I'm going to try to do.

I also have a dremel that I haven't used in a while and I'll be interested in knowing exactly how you tackled the bolt with the dremel? Did you buy the extension cord and run it through the top? What cutting accessory do you recommend?

I'm determined to do this myself but if I have to I might just fork up and bring it to a shop.

The worst part is this happened on the passenger side! I haven't even tackled the drivers side yet. I have been PB Blasting it though so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by Steveo47
if you cant use the stripped bot extractor to turn it anymore go to smaller size
A size smaller is actually from 14mm to 13mm. I did try it but I didn't want to hammer it in too hard because of the sensors. They say there are very sensitive and I don't want to mess them up!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:50 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by Devildog37
I have some experience with this as I installed my HFC's a few months ago. I stripped the drivers side bolt after repeated breaking attempts with the regular socket, extensions, and a breaker bar. So I went out and bought a bolt extracting kit like mentioned above. I hammered it into place and tried, but failed to break the bolt out. I said screw it and borrowed a dremmel from the shop and laid under the car for a good 5 minutes staring at the cat and bolt contemplating my next move. I don't have any experience using the tool, otherwise I would have sawed everything off myself. So I turned the dremmel back in and went to a shop so they could blow torch it off. Ended up costing me only about $50, but they blow torched the cat to heat and expand it, used compressed air on the bolt itself to cool and shrink it, then used a high powered impact gun to extract it. I wish I had gotten to keep the bolt, but they tossed it.

I recommend going to a shop and having them do it to save yourself the headache. It won't cost much, but it'll give you peace of mind in case they mess something up, it will be on them.

I have a Dremel but like you I'm not a pro with it. I haven't used it much either.

I'm going to try to break the bolt myself and if that doesn't work I won't have a choice but to go to a shop and have them take care of it.

I'm also going to try the drivers side and see if I can manage that bolt. It seems to be harder than the passengers side but we'll see.

Thanks everyone for the advice and keep them coming!

All information and feedback is appreciated!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
bring it to a shop and let em torch it off.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:39 AM
akuma_83

Sorry for the late reply... I used the thicker cutting discs made for metal... not sure the part number, but im sure your local hardware, k-mart, or maybe even a home depot my have them... It just took some time and a couple of discs to cut the sucker off, just be patient and extra careful not to cut anything else around by accident...

If you are already having trouble with just the passenger side, take EXTREME caution with the Driver, cause its a PITA and everyone else who DIY can vouch for that... GL Bro !
Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just bought HFCs today... this and other threads are making me nervous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help !! Stripped Cat Bolt !!