Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM
37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, in effort to save time going through what is now 104 pages of this thread, can anyone tell me if they had the reflash done in Southern California? I have a 2010 S sedan and am debating on taking it in, have gotten use to the rough shifts and would hate to lose responsiveness with the update.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ you gain responsiveness. I live in NorCal. The lag is almost completely gone now.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated my 2009 to the new ecm/tcm. Lag is minimal, haven't figured out which gear but 3 or 4 comes a lot quicker, downshifts from overdrive faster without the 6-5-4 jerk.

Will wait to see if the dumb adaptive feature ruins this for me....

Then I will reflash the ecu to my tune.... I feel slower at the top end.... lol

But seriously, I haven't "enjoyed" driving this thing for almost two years until today and im the guy that pulls the negative terminal every like 45 days.... Finally like driving it again. Update is totally worth it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37Bandit
I am going Friday for my 2009. Now they haven't checked the VIN because I wasn't in their system and this is my first time in.

He seemed to know about it, so all seems cool. Also bought the MAP Navigation Update $99, BUT they SAID its $109 to install More than the damn Navigatiion Update Itself
I had the new ITB applied on my '09 sedan yesterday at Sewell in Dallas and yes, it makes a difference. I have only driven the car about 20 miles so far, but all the problem areas seem to be fixed in early results. My biggest issue was speeding up after slowing down to make a sweeping turn, like a curved ramp to get onto a 3-lane road. It would bog down and just not go - now it does!

It seems to hold gears a little longer, and seems to be in the right gear at the right time. Each time I look down at the tach, when not under torque, I seem to be at a slightly higher RPM - so maybe they reduced the car's desire to stay in top gear all the time.

Shifting is smooth and well, so far - so good!

I also put on new Yoko YK580's and got a 4-wheel alignment, so it's riding smooth and straight, as well. Got 30K miles out of the OEM RSA's.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
But seriously, I haven't "enjoyed" driving this thing for almost two years until today and im the guy that pulls the negative terminal every like 45 days.... Finally like driving it again. Update is totally worth it.
this is how I felt for the last 2 yrs also. i've complaint about it non stop, and comparing it to my Audi and pretty much every other auto trannies out there. i get called out for buying the wrong car, a fanboy of BMW or Audi, etc...but seriously, this tranny made me hate the car for 2 yrs.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
sniper27

Originally Posted by 37s
Hey guys, in effort to save time going through what is now 104 pages of this thread, can anyone tell me if they had the reflash done in Southern California? I have a 2010 S sedan and am debating on taking it in, have gotten use to the rough shifts and would hate to lose responsiveness with the update.

Thanks.
yes. drove into Glendale Infiniti without an appt. and got the update without any hesitation from service.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
this is how I felt for the last 2 yrs also. i've complaint about it non stop, and comparing it to my Audi and pretty much every other auto trannies out there. i get called out for buying the wrong car, a fanboy of BMW or Audi, etc...but seriously, this tranny made me hate the car for 2 yrs.
Agreed!

I can’t say I’ve hated driving my car over the last 2 years, but I did hate the problems with the throttle response hesitation and tranny shifting issues. I’ve been driving it for a week now after I had the reflash done and I am very pleased with the results. The previous problems I was experiencing now seem to be almost entirely resolved. It's a significant improvement!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
sniper27

Hate might be a strong word, but I definitely didn't enjoy driving it that much. I guess since I had others cars to drive and compare to, it made a bigger impact on me.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Marc Collins

Still debating whether to get it done to my '09 with original programming since I have never had any lag or bogging on corners or most of the other issues. I also prefer the more aggressive downshifting while driving "normally" and I think the rev-matching downshifting on panic braking is a great safety feature--both are removed from D, but may still be there in DS. No one has confirmed for sure.

I have driven a '12 and know that the flare issues and overall smoothness of the shifts are improved, which I would like! But not sure what's the bigger trade-off.

If I had one of the earlier "updates" applied that wrecked the car, I would be running to the dealer to get this one done. But compared to the original true sporty programming...not sure...
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Still debating whether to get it done to my '09 with original programming since I have never had any lag or bogging on corners or most of the other issues. I also prefer the more aggressive downshifting while driving "normally" and I think the rev-matching downshifting on panic braking is a great safety feature--both are removed from D, but may still be there in DS. No one has confirmed for sure.

I have driven a '12 and know that the flare issues and overall smoothness of the shifts are improved, which I would like! But not sure what's the bigger trade-off.

If I had one of the earlier "updates" applied that wrecked the car, I would be running to the dealer to get this one done. But compared to the original true sporty programming...not sure...
Marc, my 09 is better in every way since the reflash. I would haul as$ to your dealer to get this done. Trans is much more decisive and you won't have that floaty feeling when the trans is just wondering what to do in the 20-30mph range. No spool-up gear clunk when coasting to a stop, still aggressive and since the motor is in the right gear a higher % of the time, the car just feels faster. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this reflash to anyone w/ an 09.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll have to look into this now that it is available for the 09's, I occasionally experience the rough downshifting that slams into first gear during stop and go driving. Also seen the upshifting 'flare'.

Was doing an oil change on her today and noticed the rear transfer case output shaft seal to the driveshaft leaking oil... can't be good for only 20k on it. Get this looked at and hopefully the flash done in parallel.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
JimK157

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the reflash done today on my 2010 G37. I brought in the ITB12-027 dated 5/15/12 I found in this thread.

They applied ITB12-027A dated 6/19/12. Don't know if this is because it now covers the 2009 G's or if there is any difference.

I do know the car is more responsive across the board and I averaged 30+ mpg on the freeway ride back at 70mph. Never could do that before!
Also as some others have noted there is a definite change in the exhaust tone as you accelerate.

All in all if haven't had this done you really should. The G performs like it should with no lag with throttle response. The major negative is why it took 2+ years to fix it!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by JimK157
Had the reflash done today on my 2010 G37. I brought in the ITB12-027 dated 5/15/12 I found in this thread.

They applied ITB12-027A dated 6/19/12. Don't know if this is because it now covers the 2009 G's or if there is any difference.

I do know the car is more responsive across the board and I averaged 30+ mpg on the freeway ride back at 70mph. Never could do that before!
Also as some others have noted there is a definite change in the exhaust tone as you accelerate.

All in all if haven't had this done you really should. The G performs like it should with no lag with throttle response. The major negative is why it took 2+ years to fix it!
I am fascinated by this reported change in exhaust tone. Can anyone explain it? Everyone is driving with windows/sunroof up/down/open/closed as before???? Not trying out harder acceleration than before?? It seems completely implausible, but then several are reporting it...!?!?!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by blnewt
Marc, my 09 is better in every way since the reflash. I would haul as$ to your dealer to get this done. Trans is much more decisive and you won't have that floaty feeling when the trans is just wondering what to do in the 20-30mph range. No spool-up gear clunk when coasting to a stop, still aggressive and since the motor is in the right gear a higher % of the time, the car just feels faster. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this reflash to anyone w/ an 09.
What if I have never had the floaty feeling or spool-up gear clunk (OK, I had that once or twice in two and half years)? Mine always seems to be in the right gear at the right time--that's what I love about it. Including being in the right gear when I am making an emergency stop by downshifting for me...that has been eliminated in this latest update because a bunch of people weren't used to it so complained.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
I am fascinated by this reported change in exhaust tone. Can anyone explain it? Everyone is driving with windows/sunroof up/down/open/closed as before???? Not trying out harder acceleration than before?? It seems completely implausible, but then several are reporting it...!?!?!
Do post here the dealership you go to if you are able to get the reflash done successfully.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram