Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

High Octane @ the Pump. So Temping...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
High Octane @ the Pump. So Temping...

Thoughts?

100 Octane at the pump? Think there is a danger here without tuning for it?
Attached Thumbnails High Octane @ the Pump. So Temping...-photo.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Frankyg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prolly not
Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
there is no point of getting it, unless the car is tuned for it
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Frankyg37s

if u have an intake is 94 better than 91
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
For $8.39 a gallon I'd say hell no.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
damn son i get 93-octane for under 3 bucks a gallon
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You lucky bastard! It's safe to run a higher octane without a tune. Some people have proven gains with it too. I just don't foresee the cost difference weighing the few extra ponies.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
You lucky bastard! It's safe to run a higher octane without a tune. Some people have proven gains with it too. I just don't foresee the cost difference weighing the few extra ponies.
Want me to send you a few cans? haha

I agree with you guys, way too expensive. Maybe worth it with an intake (or more and at tune) if you wanted to speed around or maybe have a track day, but otherwise, it is way too pricey.

My new business - Send me your gas can and your cash and I will ship it back full. lol
Old 11-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I don’t understand why we have to go over certain subjects over and over again. This is one of those topics that have been covered many times before.

Specifically, octane higher than 91 for our G’s does nothing but waste money. It does not offer more performance or power because the 91 octane requirement is to prevent knocking for our engines, that’s all.

Look in up. Read the manual. Do a search (try “higher octane” and you’ll get 68 threads on the subject). Google it. Putting in anything higher than 91 will do no more than opening a window and shouting, “Vroom, vroom” would do.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know there are SO many variables on the dyno, but I found this extremely interesting:

<param name='movie' value='http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&video=939e9236-3c84-454a-bfde-9ba1011b28a6&servicecfg=386'/><embed src='http://www.streetfire.net/flash/SPlayer.swf' flashvars='video=939e9236-3c84-454a-bfde-9ba1011b28a6&servicecfg=386' allowfullscreen='true' wmode='transparent' width='428' height='352' allowscriptaccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' /></object>

That's 93 octane mixed 50/50 with 108 octane to approximately make it 100. Unfortunately, some of us aren't blessed with the ability to head to our local Exxon to get race fuel.

Last edited by Staples; 11-07-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
PictureMeRolin

Originally Posted by Chekov
I don’t understand why we have to go over certain subjects over and over again. This is one of those topics that have been covered many times before.

Specifically, octane higher than 91 for our G’s does nothing but waste money. It does not offer more performance or power because the 91 octane requirement is to prevent knocking for our engines, that’s all.

Look in up. Read the manual. Do a search (try “higher octane” and you’ll get 68 threads on the subject). Google it. Putting in anything higher than 91 will do no more than opening a window and shouting, “Vroom, vroom” would do.

I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a wad over a thread with a topic that has already been discussed. WHO CARES!!! With thousands of posts on this message board it's inevitable that certain topics are discussed multiple times by different people.

If you know everything there is to know about the subject then MOVE ON. There is no need to chime in with a whining post about someone posting this already.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
briann510

Go ahead and run the 100 octane. Just telling your friends you run it will put you in that "special" crowd and all will know you will then be way faster, get better mileage and will be so cool mixing your gas in front of everyone and bragging about how much better your car runs with it when they all will actually be laughing behind your back....
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM
jdkno

Won't be doing anything but spending money. The higher the octane the more heat and pressure it can take before it detonates(ignites without a spark) so if you tune for 100 you are not getting anything from the higher octane you are getting more power because the use of higher octane is facilitating your tunning to advance your timming beyond what you could run on 91 or 93 without detonation.

Same thing as nitrous. The nitrous itself does not add power. If you were to inject nitrous into your intake without adding additional fuel there would be no gains and you would probably lean out to a point of destroying your motor. The nitrous is simply fake air that allows you to add more fuel which gives you more power.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PictureMeRolin
I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a wad over a thread with a topic that has already been discussed. WHO CARES!!! With thousands of posts on this message board it's inevitable that certain topics are discussed multiple times by different people.

If you know everything there is to know about the subject then MOVE ON. There is no need to chime in with a whining post about someone posting this already.
I have my reasons for being annoyed at this sort of thing. First of all, it detracts from the value of the forum when new threads are just repeats of the same old topics. It’s boring to have nothing much that is new going on. Second, it promotes post-whorism in so far as some members will post in the current thread even though they know it’s old news because they like to increase their post count. Again, this detracts from the quality of the forum.

That is why our posting rules clearly state:

7. Before posting, use the search function.

Considering there are a few threads going on right now that are repeats of the same topic covered recently, I would like to see more of us to first try the search function. Frankly, I don’t understand why my pointing this out bothers you.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Arvig

Originally Posted by Chekov
7. Before posting, use the search function.

Considering there are a few threads going on right now that are repeats of the same topic covered recently, I would like to see more of us to first try the search function. Frankly, I don’t understand why my pointing this out bothers you.
This is just a comment where I'm jumping in, saying something then jumping out. Not trying to flame anyone, please don't see it that way.

Yes, we have a search function. But it's far from perfect.

To give an example, I just did a search for "High Octane". I did seem some threads asking about mixing 89 and 91 and if that's safe. Some where at least given the title, the thread didn't seem to be about gasoline at all. The only one that seemed to be directly on topic of the first 10 or so titles I glanced at was this one. Which IMO doesn't count since obviously the OP was asking and didn't have this thread as a reference at the time.

Now maybe I used the wrong search terms, perhaps "100 octane" would be better. And I didn't open any threads, just looked at the first 10 or so titles, then closed that and posted. But I guess my point is although I have no idea if the OP did a search or just posted, there are plenty of times when someone DOES do a search, even on a topic that's been asked many times before, doesn't see an obvious thread with an answer, and so thus posts.

So yes, I understand your irritation, but with all due respect I think your reaction is a bit too strong with regards to questions that have been answered before as well. Simply put, sometimes a search might not find the answer, even if it has been answered before, and thus an old question may get asked again. Being upset at someone due to that doesn't help either. I'd ask this, does the quality of the forum go up by scolding someone for asking a question that's been asked before? Simply put, any forum will have the same questions asked multiple times, no matter how well moderated.

Anyway, enough said from my standpoint.

Quick Reply: High Octane @ the Pump. So Temping...