Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

About Gas : 87 or 91 or 93???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jude26
I always put 93 in my cars, but when I bought my G last week, the dealer said that the reason oil changes are more expensive at the dealer is because they use a special synthetic blend oil that makes it that you can run the car on 87 octane without issue.
I'd like to hear his explanation for how that supposedly works.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately SoCal doesn't offer 93 Octane gas. :/
Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KLB
I'd like to hear his explanation for how that supposedly works.
That is FOS.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 PM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always put 93 in my cars, but when I bought my G last week, the dealer said that the reason oil changes are more expensive at the dealer is because they use a special synthetic blend oil that makes it that you can run the car on 87 octane without issue.
Let's see if this makes sense...The ECU controls when and how much FUEL to inject and it also signals when to fire off the spark plugs. Where does oil come in to this equation? You might want to look around for a different group of people to work on your car.

If I'm missing something please educate.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Amon_Ra

I've been between Shell and BP since getting this car...honestly dont know which one i get better mileage from...if there is a difference its very small to say the least
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Check it out, there is a lot of useful information on there. I can't tell you what gas not to use, but it helps you to make a goos choice when you're on the road. Perhaps this explains why shell is a bit more pricey than most.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM
328HP

So, after reading that Shell 93 is better than any other 93 I decided to try it for myself. This is my first week trying it, regular commute and by Friday I would normally be on a 1/4 tank, I am at half a tank today.

I will only use Shell 93, thanks for the tip
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
also look at the Ethanol content in the gas. this will greatly decrease gas mileage and can be harmful to your car. most places in texas have a 10% content, but i have been noticing that valero now runs 15% at some places. We get 93 here in texas, nothing but. i normally fill up at HEB because its right by my work and the cheapest, if im on a roadtrip or something its Shell or Chevron without a doubt
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
MaluG37

Shell is a great gas. I've used it in all my cars. Right now I'm running BP or Exxon since they are running discounted rates on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Can't pass that up. But if price wasn't a factor it would be 93 Shell V-Power.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Amon_Ra

I drove 15 mins to a shell which is the cheapest gas in my area...surprisingly...If this tank makes it the entire week I'll use shell exclusively from now on lol
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

hahahaha
Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam West
Exxon Mobil 93 here in MD. I loved Sunoco 93 up in NY, but they dont have those stations around here. As for octane rules, you should put the closest to what the manufacturer recommends for best performance, anything beyond their recommended octane level isn't going to buy you too much unless the car is specifically tuned to take advantage of it. I can't get 91 here in MD, so 93 it is.

The higher the octane means more knock/detonation resistance in high performance applications (high compression), it does not necessarily mean more power. 87 octane will actually produce more power (burns faster/hotter) than 93 octane (burns slower/cooler) in an application designed to use it. Thats why putting in higher octane fuel like 91 or 93 in a car that requires 87 isn't yielding any additional performance, you may even be giving up some efficiency. This is why the manufacturer always recommends and tunes engines according to the octane they require. You always need to blend detonation resistance with BTU output for maximum efficiency.
For the record, the VQ37VHR engine uses an 11.0:1 compression ratio which is higher than that of the VQ35DE.

Simple solution is just fill it with 93 octane from your preferred station and call it good. Is it really with saving 5 bucks a week at the expense of your engine?

I knew a guy that ran 87 in his G35 Coupe ('04 model). He started getting pinging. Then the dealer recommended switching to 93 exclusively. It even pinged on 93 octane gas. The dealer insisted that even on 93 octane that this was normal behavior in the VQ35DE. Notice on the redesign with the VQ37VHR, you'll see that Nissan/Infiniti raised the compression ratio (more heat to dissipate) and significantly reworked the water jacketing around the cylinders and heads for improved cooling capability (Read: less ping).

So, don't chance your $40k + investment to save a few bucks and get crappy performance out of it. Sure, some get away just fine on 87 but I'm sure there are a lot of us who like to tip deep into the throttle on occasion and at that point, the problems with running 87 octane become glaringly obvious.

93 Octane or highest grade in your area FTW!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 PM
danno62

Hey, I understand what you are saying. My G37 was having an issue with the drivers electric seat motor. So the dealer told me to change the air filters every one hundred miles to fix it. Changing them tomorrow...wish me luck. GEE!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by redfoster
Adam West pretty much nailed it. Lower octanes will burn hotter than the engine is designed for. Do our cars ping like older cars with lower octane?? Not really. Reason being is that we have variable valve VQ motors and our computers are constantly compensating.

Just because you don't hear a ping doesn't necessarily mean everything is alright. In the short term you might only notice the fuel mileage change. But the long term stress on the engine is not good and for this reason you should burn the recommended octane, or as close as you can.

Like some of the other posters I find the best fuel mileage using Shell V-Power. I am disappointed with fuel stations promoting the use of "cleaner" higher octane fuels for their customers. Only about 5% of cars are designed/tuned to run on high octane premium gas. Most cars have no benefit, maybe even lose efficiency running something higher than they are designed for. Sigh.
If you're saying that lower (87) octane gas burns hotter than premium (93), that would be misleading an incorrect. If 87 octane burned hotter, it would yield more power as it produces more BTU's of thermal output.

Octane is simply a rating of a gasoline's ability to resist detonation (ping) under compression. See Wikipedia's explanation of this:

"Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation energies. Activation energy is the amount of energy necessary to start a chemical reaction. Since higher octane fuels have higher activation energies, it is less likely that a given compression will cause autoignition.

It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings are used in more powerful engines, since such fuels ignite less easily. However, an uncontrolled ignition is not desired in a spark ignition engine.

A fuel with a higher octane rating can be run at a higher compression ratio without causing detonation. Compression is directly related to power and to thermodynamic efficiency (see engine tuning), so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more motive power and do more work for a given BTU or calorie of fuel. Engine power is a function of the fuel, as well as the engine design, and is related to octane rating of the fuel. Power is limited by the maximum amount of fuel-air mixture that can be forced into the combustion chamber. When the throttle is partially open, only a small fraction of the total available power is produced because the manifold is operating at pressures far below atmospheric. In this case, the octane requirement is far lower than when the throttle is opened fully and the manifold pressure increases to atmospheric pressure, or higher in the case of supercharged or turbocharged engines.

Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression, and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power.

However, burning fuel with a lower octane rating than required by the engine often reduces power output and efficiency one way or another. If the engine begins to detonate, that reduces power and efficiency for the reasons stated above. Many modern car engines feature a knock sensor – a small piezoelectric microphone which detects knock, and then sends a signal to the engine control unit to retard the ignition timing. Retarding the ignition timing reduces the tendency to detonate, but also reduces power output and fuel efficiency.

Most fuel stations have two storage tanks (even those offering 3 or 4 octane levels), and you are given a mixture of the higher and lower octane fuel. Purchasing premium simply means more fuel from the higher octane tank; the detergents in the fuel are often the same."
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Good stuff
Yup. I think the confusion is coming from the fact that high compression engines have a hotter burn, but it doesn't have anything to do with the octane itself, it's just the nature of a high compression engine.

Quick Reply: About Gas : 87 or 91 or 93???