Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ECM Problem with 2009 G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Redfox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ECM Problem with 2009 G37 Sedan

Right at 13,000 miles, I experienced a problem with the air flow meter - ECM. The engine began bucking and wanting to stall. It initially acted like a bad fuel/fuel pump problem. The "service engine soon" warning light came on.It occurred while cruising about 45 MPH using the manual accelerator pedal. Strangely enough, placing the vehicle in cruise control stopped the symptoms.

The Infiniti service manager here in Albuquerque said that the ECM for the air flow meter had a "software problem". They downloaded a new updated program and the problem would appear to have been fixed. As to the temporary cruise control fix - the service manager said that one of the vehicle's other computers rerouted the fuel command and circumnavigated the software problem. Was he blowing hot air or is this an actual fact I wonder?

Have any of you fellow 2009 G37 Journey Sedan owners experienced a similar ECM software problem regarding the air flow meter?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2010 ECM in my 2009 Journey, and I had it fail on me one time - I was driving in the rain, got on the gas, and the slip lights came on and then the car died - or rather, it just coasted to a stop and idled and would not allow any power to the engine. Turn the car on and off a couple of time and it finally came back 'on-line', but was throwing a code - plugged in a code reader and the code was defined as 'corrupt ROM' or memory. I rest the ECU using the gas pedal pumping procedure, and all has been well since. No code, no problems.

S
Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Redfox

2009 G37 Sedan ECM Problem

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I have a 2010 ECM in my 2009 Journey, and I had it fail on me one time - I was driving in the rain, got on the gas, and the slip lights came on and then the car died - or rather, it just coasted to a stop and idled and would not allow any power to the engine. Turn the car on and off a couple of time and it finally came back 'on-line', but was throwing a code - plugged in a code reader and the code was defined as 'corrupt ROM' or memory. I rest the ECU using the gas pedal pumping procedure, and all has been well since. No code, no problems.

S
ozzypriest - the slip lights on my vehicle lit up also! I figured that the engines bucking and misfiring was causing a cascade effect going down the drive shaft to the rear end - which then caused the slip warning lights to activate. Stopping and turning off the ignition helped also - for about 7 or 8 miles, when the symptoms would then reappear. Was using the manual accelerator during this period. When the road permitted, I was able to use the cruise control and the symptoms did not reoccur. We were at the time in a VERY remote part of New Mexico on a trip when this problem occurred. Had we been stranded, it would've been a most unpleasant experience, I can assure you! Hope the problem has been resolved. (NEVER had this problem with my two previous Toyota Camrys!)
Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 PM
CGAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfox
ozzypriest - (NEVER had this problem with my two previous Toyota Camrys!)

Yes but you did have to drive a Toyota Camry JK. Seen this a few times and the reprogram of the ECM defenity fixes the issue with the air flow meter.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
SilverTL05

Just had this same crap happen to my 2012 G37s Auto.

I was stuck in the middle of the freeway and I couldn't get the RPM pass 1k.
I had the Service Engine Soon and VDC light on.

Its at the dealer now.