Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!
View Poll Results: What is your driving style and experience with the 7-speed in your G37?
Conservative Driving Style - Have noticed no significant shifting issues
17.33%
Conservative Driving Style - Minor shifting issues occasionally
26.67%
Conservative Driving Style - Frequent/Significant Issues (it's driving me nuts)
2.67%
Performance Driving Style - Have noticed no significant shifting issues
17.33%
Performance Driving Style - Minor shifting issues occasionally
30.67%
Performance Driving Style - Frequent/Signficant Issues (it's driving me nuts)
5.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

G37 7AT Issues - Poll and Consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed that the "lag" is different depending on the style you are driving. So, if I am in Auto Drive and trying to be real aggressive, there is a slight lag. When I am in DS and driving conservatively, there is a slight lag. When I flip things, I dont really notice a lag at all. You also have to get used to your G. Going in Manual mode and shifting at the wrong time will cause it to be "jerky".
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by use2vw
Simple...GET a 6sp manual. I've had 4000 miles in a '10 37X wondering if this 7AT is broken - since it drives so bad. Wrong gear wrong time, herky jerky shifts at 3-4, clunks, delays...If I'm in DS manual mode all the time I might as well be rowing a manual all along...love the car but 7AT is my biggest regret.
This post ^ sums it up for me. Everyday I get in my car, I regret not getting the MT. I thought the AT was good enough that I could live with it, but I was wrong. Compared to most AT's, it's great, but it's still an AT. Lipstick on a pig.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad this poll/thread was started. I have only about 2500 miles on my G37 now, but the miserable throttle lag and tranny shifting issues are really starting to annoy me more and more. Makes me wish I was back in my Maxima as far as the performance of this 7AT tranny is concerned.

I really hope that if enough of us complain about this, Infiniti will come up with a reflash for the TCU and issue a TBS and to correct (or at least significantly improve) these problems that many of us are experiencing.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i recently drove the 5AT G and the throttle response was so much better. step on the gas and it just goes.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
rehtea

I gotta say, I don't have any of the problems with 7AT that others have mentioned here. Maybe people with problems are more likely to post about it, so it could seem the problem is wide spread or common when in fact it isn't, or maybe I'm just one of the few who got lucky. Based on my experience, 7AT shifts fine, and at the right time. Shifting is smooth, and hard to feel, unless on aggressive acceleration. Driving in stop-and-go or rush hour traffic is not a problem at all; in fact, response is so sharp, because it's in 1st or 2nd gear. It almost feels as if I could press the gas pedal with just my toe to accelerate. There's no bogging or hesitation.

One thing that I personally found helpful in teaching the 7AT to shift better is to keep continuous pressure on the gas pedal through the shifts. Because of my habit from manual, I had a tendency to lift on the gas pedal when I felt a shift coming. It took me awhile to realize I was doing this, but the shift improved markedly when I continued to keep pressure on the gas pedal. It helps even more if you press down more on the gas pedal through the shifts. So the bottom line, just give lotsa gas, and let the 7AT figure out the shift logic for you. guess that's why it's called AUTOMATIC. lol
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've put 6,300 miles on my 2010 automatic and haven't had any lag problem, with the transmission, while driving it conservatively or aggressively.
I put a lot of the miles on 2 lane highways where I do quite a bit of passing. There was no lag.
The only minor thing I noticed was if I started to pass and had to abort it, because of traffic, when I let off the throttle the revs would stay high for a few seconds before dropping back down to normal.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
The 7AT is quirky. Heck, it has 7 gears. You just have to learn how it reacts to certain situations and drive accordingly.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^
+1

Every once in a while it will lag on me, but I think the bigger part is I know when it used to want to lag so I do my best to keep it from getting to that point. Solves most of the problems.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
... but the miserable throttle lag and tranny shifting issues are really starting to annoy me more and more.
This is why I'm going to put paddle shifters on mine. It's too much trouble to take hands off wheel, shift to the left, then down one. It'll be MUCH easier to just pop it down one gear just before I take my opening and accelerate.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 AM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by consultant1027
I don't think any AT is going to be perfect since they can't read your mind. Although I've heard from other performance-oriented car enthusiasts I know that the Lexus/Toyota AT is pretty damn good. Acura/Honda ain't too bad either but neither of them have a 7-speed last time I checked. That's the problem right there is with such a tight gearing ratio you are going to get more gear changes than on a 5-speed.

Apparently there was a software update release last summer I think addressing a harsh downshift or something or other. A poster who had the update installed said it helped but didn't turn it into a totally different behaving AT all together, of course, who would expect that? Yet I saw a post on another thread that they though the update made it worse! The thing is these updates can take a while as they have to be approved by the DOT supposedly or some other government agency.

I'm beginning to see a pattern though but need more responses to see if it pans out. All the 'no issues' votes are from drivers describing themselves as conservative (what I call 'old man' style Then we have cvroom saying the car didn't seem to have issues with shifting as much after his wife drove it. So my guess is maybe when it adapted to your wife (assuming she is a conservative style driver) that 'smoothed' things out a bit? The question is, how many miles or shifts typically does the adaption take? This might not be the cast considering a complaint is that the car doesn't downshift quick enough. It would seem this would get worse adapting to a more conservative driver?
I've driven a Lexy IS-F quite a bit and that car has too many gears. It's seems effortless, but because it is constantly shifting you can't really get the forceful drive out of the rear end.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 AM
4drScreamer

I have 2500 miles on my S sedan and live in a very hilly area so going down hill is always interesting. I've definitely noticed a difference in and around town, but generally it's smooth with could pedal control. Turning off VDC and using padels definitely eases off the tendency of transmission to over shift. The biggest thing I notice is the hesitation at start, but even that is becoming more responsive with time.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
DEC1

I've got 18K on my '10XS sedan. IMHO this tranny has one too many gears and is overkill and leads to the issues stated above. It is always shifting... and with an engine this powerful it is unnecessary. I do experience lag (around 40 in 7th when you hit the gas) which is annoying in a car that is otherwise fantastic. The mistake they made was not giving the driver the ability to lock out either 7th and/or 6th. Yes, I know you can do this by shifting with the paddles but if I wanted to do that I would have gone with the manual (like I had on my G37 coupe). In DS mode the car should not use 7th. That would have been a good auto solution to driving with more sport without needing to click paddles.

to the OP: Having said all that I would not let it keep you from buying this car. These are small complaints compared to the overall pleasure of driving and owning this car.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Almatti

EXACTLY...........sniper!!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Almatti

DEC1, there have been a number of threads about the 7 spd Auto Tranny. i started one too. After 2500 miles or so, it's better BUT far from the performance of the 07 5spd Tranny that I had. In traffic, 40-20 mph, the jerky performance due to the gear hunting, worse in DS mode, better in D mode, in fact the "jolts" are reminding me of the 05 Altima i had with a V-6 and a 5 spd Auto... That was a chronic complaint with that car at that time. Infiniti should have left well enough alone. What are we getting : 1 to 1.5 more mpg with the 7 spd Auto tranny. I've made a at least 3 complaints to my dealer. They tell me : "That's the way it Is". The general manger has pledged to help me with this the best they can, Of course, short of returning the car. The car is fantastic overall, no other complaints or malfunctions, but this is taking away from the true pleasure of this great car !!!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
DEC1

what does "sniper" mean?

Quick Reply: G37 7AT Issues - Poll and Consensus?