Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Less Drivetrain Loss? 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
If you want to run shorter tires might as well get a larger final drive gear
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 AM
oreoleo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Wheels are tires are arguably part of the drivetrain....they are at the very end of it. Brake rotors are not part of the drivetrain at all. The drivetrain is what propels the car...the brake rotors help stop it.

Unsprung weight does impact suspension movements, but rotational mass (crankshaft, driveshaft, axle shafts, etc...) should be differentiated from unsprung weight, although a reduction helps in each.
Rotors are connected to hubs/wheels/tires. While they might not affect the drivetrain as much as the wheels / tires would, they still need to be rotated.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheels are tires are arguably part of the drivetrain....they are at the very end of it. Brake rotors are not part of the drivetrain at all. The drivetrain is what propels the car...the brake rotors help stop it.

Unsprung weight does impact suspension movements, but rotational mass (crankshaft, driveshaft, axle shafts, etc...) should be differentiated from unsprung weight, although a reduction helps in each.
It doesn't matter if wheels and tires are part of unsprung weight, they are ALSO part of the drivetrain. Rotors are ALSO part of the drivetrain. How can you think they're not? They may not propel the car but they slow it down by increasing the weight to be rotated by the engine during acceleration.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Don Meshal

remove the S and youll get 30 whp more
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
It doesn't matter if wheels and tires are part of unsprung weight, they are ALSO part of the drivetrain. Rotors are ALSO part of the drivetrain. How can you think they're not? They may not propel the car but they slow it down by increasing the weight to be rotated by the engine during acceleration.
The drivetrain propels the car. Brake components are not part of the drivetrain.

Don't take my word for it....look it up yourself.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Brake rotors are part of the drivetrain, brake caliper, brake shoe, brake hoses are not part of the drivetrain.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

not to derail the thread but why do people always think of power when trying to go quicker instead of reducing weight? is there any way to significantly reduce the weight of our cars? if they were lighter they'd be so much faster (i.e. the 370z)
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Because you dont really buy a "luxury" vehicle to strip it
Old 09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by CodeG
^ Brake rotors are part of the drivetrain, brake caliper, brake shoe, brake hoses are not part of the drivetrain.

Some of you guys really need to get back to basics when you discuss things like drivetrains.

Here's a Cliff's Notes version: Drivetrain is synonymous with powertrain....you can use either interchangeably. A drivetrain consists of all components that "drive" (or propel) the vehicle. Hence the name "drive"-train. Or another way of saying it is the drivetrain are the components that transfer the power from the engine to actually propel the car.

The transmission is part of the drivetrain. The driveshaft is part of the drivetrain. U-Joints, CV-joints, differentials, etc..are all part of the drivetrain. Braking components (rotors, calipers, pads, etc...) are not part of the drivetrain. Suspension components (springs, struts, shocks, A-arms, sway bars, etc...) are not part of the drivetrain.

This is pretty basic stuff and everyone should know the difference between the powertrain and the suspension system and the braking system.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Q8y_drifter

Let's look at this from another angle. Are wheels part of the drivetrain?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Let's look at this from another angle. Are wheels part of the drivetrain?
You just don’t get it, do you? Forget about wheels….that’s not even part of this debate. Wheels are not brakes. Simple, right? I’ll say it again for those who just can’t keep up: Brake components ARE NOT part of the drivetrain. Don’t believe me? Look it up yourself. Google is your friend. There are a million websites that will explain to you what makes up the drivetrain.

But if you want to discuss wheels and brakes in the same sentence then fine.....Does the engine have to rotate the wheels, tires, and rotors in order for a vehicle to move? Of course it does. Does that mean that the wheels, tires, and rotors are all part of the drivetrain? Of course not. This is embarrassing that guys who are supposed to be enthusiasts don’t understand such a simple concept.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 AM
g35sedan5at

^^^ i was about to say, most of the things being mentioned are not true "drivetrain" components at all. Yes, they reduce unsprung or rotational mass but just because the car moves them does NOT mean its part of the drivetrain.

I still think the only way to have less drivetrain loss is in the driveshaft, U-joints, axles, etc. Im curious as to what material a driveshaft can be made of that can take the TQ that our steel ones can and weigh less. You can also go all solid bushings and you might save a HP or two because energy is not being wasted on mushy bushings. but then we get into the debate of NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) where the resulting NVH from all these solid components will probably outweigh the gains you're getting.

Basically, you want the least amount of drivetrain loss possible and you have lots of money, you can make it work (and even then you wont get of it all, or close to all) but you will hate the ride for a daily driver.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Q8y_drifter

You just don’t get it, do you? Forget about wheels….that’s not even part of this debate. Wheels are not brakes. Simple, right? I’ll say it again for those who just can’t keep up: Brake components ARE NOT part of the drivetrain. Don’t believe me? Look it up yourself. Google is your friend. There are a million websites that will explain to you what makes up the drivetrain.

But if you want to discuss wheels and brakes in the same sentence then fine.....Does the engine have to rotate the wheels, tires, and rotors in order for a vehicle to move? Of course it does. Does that mean that the wheels, tires, and rotors are all part of the drivetrain? Of course not. This is embarrassing that guys who are supposed to be enthusiasts don’t understand such a simple concept.
Now you're just being a ****. I'm not here to debate with you, nor call you a liar. I asked a simply question to understand what ur saying and you gotta act like a know-it-all and start disrespecting members here.

But just to recap what YOU have said earlier:

Wheels are tires are arguably part of the drivetrain
I'm done with this thread. Have a good day.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
MSCA
Banned

And here's what YOU said:

Rotors are ALSO part of the drivetrain. How can you think they're not?
Don't get your panties in a knot because you were wrong.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
^^^ i was about to say, most of the things being mentioned are not true "drivetrain" components at all. Yes, they reduce unsprung or rotational mass but just because the car moves them does NOT mean its part of the drivetrain.
Yes, exactly. It's good to see that somebody else understands. That's why I was trying to explain the difference between unsprung weight and rotational mass. In the specific case of brake rotors, they are both unsprung weight and rotational mass. But the difference between rotors and wheels/tires is that they are not part of the drivetrain. Some guys here insist that all three (wheels, tires, rotors) are part of the drivetrain simply because they all need to be rotated.

I still think the only way to have less drivetrain loss is in the driveshaft, U-joints, axles, etc. Im curious as to what material a driveshaft can be made of that can take the TQ that our steel ones can and weigh less. You can also go all solid bushings and you might save a HP or two because energy is not being wasted on mushy bushings. but then we get into the debate of NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) where the resulting NVH from all these solid components will probably outweigh the gains you're getting.
There are some lightweight aluminum driveshafts that are strong, but I'm not sure if they are even available for our cars. Even so, the benefit vs cost would probably not be worth it on a street driven car. Maybe a track car, but then again how many guys here have true track cars?

Basically, you want the least amount of drivetrain loss possible and you have lots of money, you can make it work (and even then you wont get of it all, or close to all) but you will hate the ride for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Less Drivetrain Loss? 5AT