Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

400HP Possible N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
VVEL would be a tuner's dream.... if it was programmable.
Please explain that one to me. I'm not trying to be difficult or start an arguement, I just want to know how a tuner would do it differently than the factory would. I've been thinking about this a long time now and at first I thought it would be awesome if a tuner could change the settings. But lately I've been thinking, how would changing the intake valve operation effect the engine. I mean, the mechanical components are set, like intake valve size, exhaust valve size, exhaust valve lobe is set, the max each valve can go up is set, the exhaust valves operation doesn't change at all, the LSA is set, and the port sizes and construction are set. The only real thing that changes is the lift of the intake valve right? Or can the whole cam be retarded as well?

I can see there being advantages to playing with the lift of the intake valve if going from a n/a to a f/i setup, but what if you were just staying n/a? Would there be an optimal setting for the VVEL? And if there is, is that one setting the best for all engines (minus any that have had the heads, valves, cams modded)? If there is an optimal setting, let's say highest hp up high and most tq down low, how far off would the factory setting be? Because that was what they were after in the first place.

I'm starting to lean on the side that VVEL tuning won't do much good unless you have f/i or you've modified your heads/cams.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Please explain that one to me. I'm not trying to be difficult or start an arguement, I just want to know how a tuner would do it differently than the factory would. I've been thinking about this a long time now and at first I thought it would be awesome if a tuner could change the settings. But lately I've been thinking, how would changing the intake valve operation effect the engine. I mean, the mechanical components are set, like intake valve size, exhaust valve size, exhaust valve lobe is set, the max each valve can go up is set, the exhaust valves operation doesn't change at all, the LSA is set, and the port sizes and construction are set. The only real thing that changes is the lift of the intake valve right? Or can the whole cam be retarded as well?

I can see there being advantages to playing with the lift of the intake valve if going from a n/a to a f/i setup, but what if you were just staying n/a? Would there be an optimal setting for the VVEL? And if there is, is that one setting the best for all engines (minus any that have had the heads, valves, cams modded)? If there is an optimal setting, let's say highest hp up high and most tq down low, how far off would the factory setting be? Because that was what they were after in the first place.

I'm starting to lean on the side that VVEL tuning won't do much good unless you have f/i or you've modified your heads/cams.
The factory setting is actually pretty far off, but mostly for emissions reasons. There is always more power to be made.

Given that the system is, theoretically, infinitely variable, you could give it "high duration high lift" settings to emulate that of performance cams. If you were to go into ultra high RPMs, you could increase overlap.

For FI settings, you'd do high lift, but with less overlap and less duration to prevent leakage.

Instead of having "one set of cams", you could tweak the settings to each individual setup every time.

In reality, none of this can be done because nobody has cracked the system (or even really bothered trying, as everything can be cracked), and all the system really does is create excessive amounts of heat. Nissan obviously knows this, since they prevent RPMs before load when you hit limp.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

How is the system infinitely variable? Can the cams be retarded and avdvanced? I thought the only thing the VVEL did was adjust the intake valve lift. Am I wrong?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This.........+1
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike

How is the system infinitely variable? Can the cams be retarded and avdvanced? I thought the only thing the VVEL did was adjust the intake valve lift. Am I wrong?
Only one side needs to be infinitely variable to adjust timing and overlap...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Again, how you going to tune that. It's easy to say. I'll even one up you, LS3...

Easy. HR ECU and harness. think of it as a stroked HR. Or go standalone
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
VVEL also controls intake timing obviously. Exhaust cams however, I think they're the same as the HR.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Only one side needs to be infinitely variable to adjust timing and overlap...
I don't think that's right unless you can change the timing of the cams.

Does the VQ37VHR also have C-VTC? Because if it does then what you are all saying makes sense.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Maybe we should all collect some money and bribe the Nissan VVEL engineer to have him send us a crack for that b!tch lol

The source code of the VVEL part from the ECU firmware will be nice
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How bout we start pooling together a fund and recruit all the best hackers in the world. Whoever cracks it gets the money. lol
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Whatnobeer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
How bout we start pooling together a fund and recruit all the best hackers in the world. Whoever cracks it gets the money. lol
We did this in the GM community and got some nice results for the L-67, L-36 motors. Once the code is cracked the rest is up to the tuners and the guinea cars you want to use to test them with.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Fixed..
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
not to get off topic, how does stillen/gtm do the tune for these cars.
they must know someway around the factory tune.
considering the 37 throttle is at what 20% at 3k.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Mike

The throttle is WOT under normal operating conditions. Intake charge mass is determined by the intake valves.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Intake valve opening is controlled by throttle pedal.. interesting.

So the intake valve opening is a function of both TPS & RPM? Like some sort of 3D table

Quick Reply: 400HP Possible N/A?