Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

400HP Possible N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
The throttle is WOT under normal operating conditions. Intake charge mass is determined by the intake valves.
No it's not. I read and used to think the same thing but there are some data logs posted on here by modme. You can see the signal to the throttle bodies going up and down in voltage the whole time he is driving. He was just driving around, up and down in speed and through the gears. It shows the throttle bodies do in fact throttle.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Whatnobeer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
No it's not. I read and used to think the same thing but there are some data logs posted on here by modme. You can see the signal to the throttle bodies going up and down in voltage the whole time he is driving. He was just driving around, up and down in speed and through the gears. It shows the throttle bodies do in fact throttle.
So I think the next logical question would be, if we ported or used larger TB's would that have an effect on a N/A car? I'm thinking not tremendously. Now on a F/I car, I know those work.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
But if that were true (which I'm not saying it isn't), what would be the use of the 2nd throttle body?

Come to think about it, what's the point of a throttle valve anyways if it's going to be open all the time? An additional flow restrictor
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G37Sam
But if that were true (which I'm not saying it isn't), what would be the use of the 2nd throttle body?

Come to think about it, what's the point of a throttle valve anyways if it's going to be open all the time? An additional flow restrictor

First question: Good question. Somehow the designers felt it was either a good way to go or a the right thing to do. Two throttle bodies have been used before by others and they obviously must have their advantages in some applications. Funny thing, two smaller throttle bodies allow for finer throttle control than one big throttle body does. That's a little odd considering some of the publications out there say the VVEL allows for the throttle bodies to be held wide open while the intake valves do the throttling.

Second question: Even if the throttle bodies fully opened during normal operation, which they don't if you look at modme's data logs, there are still certain situations which the VVEL probably couldn't handle, such as idle and cold start-up.

The video's about the VVEL when it first came out said (or in an animation showed) the throttle bodies would be full open while the intake valves do the throttling.

The VVEL is really neat and has potential, but it's not nearly as dynamic as some believe.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam

Emissions.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Mike

Originally Posted by Whatnobeer
So I think the next logical question would be, if we ported or used larger TB's would that have an effect on a N/A car? I'm thinking not tremendously. Now on a F/I car, I know those work.
Nope. The throttlebody is not the restricting point on the intake side...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Mike

Of course the voltage is varying. It doesn't mean the throttlebodies are moving. Do you know what the voltage threshold is for the throttles to be "fully open"?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Of course the voltage is varying. It doesn't mean the throttlebodies are moving. Do you know what the voltage threshold is for the throttles to be "fully open"?
Around 4.5 volts for full open, around 0.5 volts for closed. It varies car to car. Are you saying the throttle bodies are full up at any signal? You do know how the throttle bodies work and what operates them, right?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Mike

Around 4.5 volts for full open, around 0.5 volts for closed. It varies car to car. Are you saying the throttle bodies are full up at any signal? You do know how the throttle bodies work and what operates them, right?
:shrug: I don't know what the operating range is for the throttlebodies on the VHR; I've never tore into one or taken readings.

Yes, I do know how they work.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I don't know what the operating range is for the throttlebodies on the VHR; I've never tore into one or taken readings.

Yes, I do know how they work.

Well ok, I just told you the operating ranges. To be even more exact, on one G37 on here it is 0.40v closed and 4.3v full open. Not every car is the same. The throttle bodies do in fact throttle.

I could always take a drill bit, boroscope, and a video camera and make a video of the throttle bodies in action for you. I'm not willing to do that to Her car (because I like to get laid), but I'm willing to do it to a rental or someone else's car.

The Nissan training video of the VVEL (animation) was just an introduction to the VVEL. That video said the TB's would just go full open. That was incorrect. It might work that way in theory, but it's not the way the VHR does it right now.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
JessterCPA

Has anyone ever done a LS1/LS2/LS3 into a G?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JessterCPA
Has anyone ever done a LS1/LS2/LS3 into a G?
G35's, yes. There are even shops out there selling swap kits to assist you. G37's, I haven't heard of any yet.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Regarding VVEL and throttle bodies, I read somewhere (maybe on the 370Z forum) that varying the valve lift alone did not give enough "turn down" at lower throttle openings - meaning that they use the butterflys to meter below a certain throttle level. The idea is to reduce pumping losses and improve throttle response. In reality we have lag time in the (CANbus?) hardware connecting the different processors in the car.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Jarrett barbaro

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
on a stock g37 it puts down 287whp.
after heavy modding with a tune now 325whp.
even after all that modding,with allowing 20% drivetrain loss.
400 at the crank isn't going to happen without turbo/supercharger/nitrous.
That's so not true. Z1 motorsports sells a 400hp kit that puts you at 400hp crank and around 340wheel assuming 15-20% drivetrain loss. If you can manage to drop 60-80lbs unsprung weight. Do an entire intake system such as a cai, 70mm aftermarket throttle boddies, modded intake plenum, modded air intake manifold, modded headers, hfc(high flow cats)/test pipes(cat delete)(cat= catalytic converter). And and modded cattback exhaust with a tune will put you over 400whp. Possibly upgraded injectors. But it's doable. It'll cost you just as much to turbo it. Gets kinda close to a small turbo set up but it's also more reliable. But there's also other ways such as replacing the exhaust cams but we're talking 3k in parts and labor. It'll add about 26hp and 33wtq though. But it's more of a complementary thing needs to have the intake and exhaust systems to fully make it's hp.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:06 AM
gomogloVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
on a stock g37 it puts down 287whp.
after heavy modding with a tune now 325whp.
even after all that modding,with allowing 20% drivetrain loss.
400 at the crank isn't going to happen without turbo/supercharger/nitrous.
I made 340whp without headers so I beg to differ

Quick Reply: 400HP Possible N/A?