Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VQ Motor getting long in the tooth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
A V8 is possible, but a I6 will never happen. It's too big
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomieG
I love the sound of the motor when i rev it up. It loves to be revved i mean after all its called HR (high-revving) engine.

But i do find it ironic how we have a 3.7L V6 compared to the new BMW e92 4.0L V8. Nissan pushed every little bit of power they could out of this motor while BMW throws a small high revving v8 into the M.

I would be happy if we got small displacement high-vevving v8....or a turbocharged I6.

-Tom
+1 for V8! I want Infiniti to put the 390-hp 5.0 V8 from the FX50 into the G ... imagine a G50!!! (Although the 420-hp 5.6 V8 would be nice too! ... a G56) Mmmmm. This would make for an interesting comparison against the Lexus IS-F. Although I would settle for the lower powered yet much torquier 325-hp 4.5 V8 from the previous generation M - that is one amazing sounding motor!

Since Infiniti is expanding the G line-up with the G25 that mimics BMW's 328 and 335 and Lexus' IS250 and IS350, perhaps they will come out with a real competitor to the BMW M3 and Lexus IS-F.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 15951
I must be really easy to please. The car goes fast, the engine doesn't have problems, and all I have to do is feed it fresh oil every 3 months or so and I can keep driving the hell out of the car with no issues.

It's not as smooth as the engine in my IS350, but it's also a lot more fun. The G has a coarser engine than the competition, but for me that makes for a more visceral experience. That coarseness only comes on when I'm really getting into it at 5k+ RPMs, and a little bit of thrashing seems perfectly reasonable at high revs.

No complaints here. As a matter of fact, the "issues" that people bring up about this engine are really the things that put a smile on my face and brought me to Infiniti in the first place.
Yeah, I agree. Some of the whining about smoothness and too much NHV seems a little silly to me. I like a little "feedback" from my car and the last thing I want is to drive a car that doesn't give me that kind of driving experience. A friend of mine just got a new Lexus ES 350 and it is incredibly smooth and incredibly quiet on the road. And I'd probably fall asleep and crash into a tree if I had to drive it for more than 20 minutes. *yawn*
Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
a single cam Acura engine is still old school technology, so how can we talk about the VQ being outdated?

and going into a V8 motor for a G.... you're talking 60k pricetags
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The VQ sound harsh because it has a timing chain. The Acura has a timing belt, and it is smoother and quieter until you have to pay for timing belt replacement. Heat issue on the G is related to Infinity cut cost and did not put in a oil cooler, even a water oil cooler would have helped and does not cost as much.
I don't think any motor can compete with the BMW for smoothness.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Alright, I'm a complete novice with all this engine talk. Coming from a honda (2005 Acura TL), I know a bit about VTEC and UA6-UA9 motors, but I don't really see how VVEL compares. Can someone break down the logistics? Our G37S' have...the VQ37VHR motors, or HR motors? Is the VVEL system in our cars, the same as in the Toyota and Lexus cars (we have both and I believe they both say VVEL). Lastly, how the hell does VVEL even work?! thanks guys!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
+1 for V8! I want Infiniti to put the 390-hp 5.0 V8 from the FX50 into the G ... imagine a G50!!! (Although the 420-hp 5.6 V8 would be nice too! ... a G56) Mmmmm. This would make for an interesting comparison against the Lexus IS-F. Although I would settle for the lower powered yet much torquier 325-hp 4.5 V8 from the previous generation M - that is one amazing sounding motor!

Since Infiniti is expanding the G line-up with the G25 that mimics BMW's 328 and 335 and Lexus' IS250 and IS350, perhaps they will come out with a real competitor to the BMW M3 and Lexus IS-F.
they did...ipl g37 coupe LOL
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hmmm....it would be interesting for nissan to bring back their I-6 turbo charged engines...it would be faithfull to the skyline lineage. of course that would be for the next gen.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
a single cam Acura engine is still old school technology, so how can we talk about the VQ being outdated?

That's what a lot of people seem to be missing. Sure Infiniti can build it but do you know what they'd have to charge for a G56? Look at all the people who were complaining about the M's price tag when it came out.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
hmmm....it would be interesting for nissan to bring back their I-6 turbo charged engines...it would be faithfull to the skyline lineage. of course that would be for the next gen.
Again, too big. Even a V8 is shorter than a I6.

Originally Posted by eksigned
Alright, I'm a complete novice with all this engine talk. Coming from a honda (2005 Acura TL), I know a bit about VTEC and UA6-UA9 motors, but I don't really see how VVEL compares. Can someone break down the logistics? Our G37S' have...the VQ37VHR motors, or HR motors? Is the VVEL system in our cars, the same as in the Toyota and Lexus cars (we have both and I believe they both say VVEL). Lastly, how the hell does VVEL even work?! thanks guys!
VTEC uses a high RPM cam to vary duration and lift on the valves. VVEL uses an oblong lobe that is controlled by an electric motor to infinitely vary lift and duration. Toyota has VVTI, which is closer to VTEC than VVEL, but different in execution. VVEL is closer to variocam+ or double VANOS, but simpler in execution.

Originally Posted by CodeG
The VQ sound harsh because it has a timing chain. The Acura has a timing belt, and it is smoother and quieter until you have to pay for timing belt replacement. Heat issue on the G is related to Infinity cut cost and did not put in a oil cooler, even a water oil cooler would have helped and does not cost as much.
I don't think any motor can compete with the BMW for smoothness.
A 40 dollar belt won't kill the wallet.

Infiniti did cheap out on cooling, but they are also correct in assuming that most users won't need an oil cooler.

Originally Posted by da mayor

GM still uses pushrods, and their V8's are considered the standard.

That SOHC J35 from Honda makes 16 less HP than the VQ35HR on 87 gas and with less revs. It also costs about 1/2 as much, if you ever need to replace one. Lets not forget it gets better MPG (by far) and has higher volumetric efficiency.

Infiniti's been focused on ouput, while Honda's been focused on efficiency.

Both engines, as well as the N54/55 and 2GR-FSE have all fallen off of Ward's 10 best.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

VTEC has two cam profiles; one for low RPM and one for high RPM. The VVEL system can continously vary the cam profile so it's not a "off/on" situation like with VTEC. As well, the VVEL system doesn't use a throttle body (I has one but it's left open all the time and is only used if the VVEL system fails). The amount of air flowing into the cylinders is controlled by VVEL. It's varies the air flow by controlling how much each intake valve opens.

VVEL is a Nissan/Infiniti trademark so you won't see it used by Toyota. You're probably thinking of one of Toyota's timing systems: VVTL-i, VVT-i, VVT-iE, or the new Valvematic.

VVEL can be compared to Toyota's Valvematic or BMW's Valvetronic.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Again, too big. Even a V8 is shorter than a I6.
too big for what?? i am referring to a possible next gen to bring back a 2.6-3.0 I6 TT...you been inhaling AP2 fumes again mike?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM
LINY_Rob

they did...ipl g37 coupe LOL
LOL ... I would equate the G37 IPL coupe to the BMW 335is coupe - some more power, subtle body changes, tire/wheel upgrade, etc. But clearly the G37 IPL can't compete with an M3 or IS-F.

Re: $60K for G50 ... Maybe not THAT much, but sure it would push the tag to over $50K. A lightly optioned M3 without the dual-clutch tranny pushes $63K and the IS-F, with the one option package available, is nearly $64K. I think a fully loaded G50/G56 for $55K would still be a great deal - and would give Infiniti a fully fleshed-out line-up and a G capable of 0-60 times in the mid 4's and 1/4 mile times in the high 12's. Maybe Infiniti would even consider dropping in the GT-R's 6-speed dual-clutch ... clearly I'm dreaming.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 PM
majin ssj eric

I have both the G37 and an IS350 and can say without a doubt that the 2GR-FSE in the Lexus is a million times smoother than the VQHR37 in the G. Going with the auto tranny this time around seems to have blunted some of the NVH but its still prevelent. Still, I don't really mind it too much. Our Lexus is smooth, but it also feels a bit sewing-machine if you know what I mean. The VQ never lets you forget that it is working its butt off to make max power. Plus there is no contest in sound quality between the two. The IS350 barely makes any noise at all but the exhaust sound of a stock VQ always gets my attention....
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
zoner

yeah and a 427 or 454 are really old too. but we would like one of those.

Quick Reply: VQ Motor getting long in the tooth?