Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
nope your right. although has not happened all too much in mine. happened at the worse time yestuday when i had to accelerate hard on the highway with heavy traffic. i know the car has explosive power so i did not give the guy in the fast lane much notice when i changed lanes thinking i would be up to speed in no time before his car bore down on me. well that didnt happen because i hit the gas and the car hesitated for a second. that was enough of lag for him to utter a 4 letter word im sure before i got up to speed. if it wasnt for that lag i would have accelerated fine and there would be no issues.
I suggest that you shift to DS and then hit the gas next time you are in this kind of situation.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM
cvroom

so whats the vote?...g35 with less hp and smooth trans or g37 with more hp, better mpg and laggy transmission? i dont have one since i havent driven a 07 g35.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
cvroom

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I suggest that you shift to DS and then hit the gas next time you are in this kind of situation.
Thanks, i will definitely try that.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
so whats the vote?...g35 with less hp and smooth trans or g37 with more hp, better mpg and laggy transmission? i dont have one since i havent driven a 07 g35.
Umm, maybe the 3.7l w/ the 5AT
Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
yoyoma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now officially annoyed by this. It's definitely similar to a turbo lag (which is what I just came from). Not good!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shift paddles helped!

I experienced the lag from the very beginning. However, after I installed shift paddles around 7500 miles on the odometer I noticed the car more responsive. I used to drive it in DS mode most of the time to compensate for the lag. Now I don't need to because I paddle shift when needed. I think my car's ECU learned to shift in DS mode and therefore I had lag in D mode. Now that I don't use DS mode, my car responds better. It could be all in my head.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
When I was stock, I noticed the lag/bog as well. HFCs and CBE cured it for me. I'm waiting for Hypertech to update their pocket tuner for the 2010s.

I know that's not much help, but I'm just offering up more info for everyone.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 AM
SnoopSER

I hope Infinity fixes this before I buy mine... I really want a X!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:15 AM
LINY_Rob

2010 G37xS with 2,700 miles on the clock. I too have written in these forums about the 7AT. The "lag" in gears 1 and 2 under light to moderate throttle has seemed to go away for me a little; perhaps because I have been having too much fun with the car and really hitting the throttle more aggressively off the line teaching the tranny my style. Not sure.

I think those of us who had a 07-08 with the 5AT (I came out of a 2008 G35xS) are the ones who are most disappointed - the 5AT's shift pattern and shift speed was very very good. I do miss the extremely quick and tight shifts of the 5AT, but I am loving the firm accurate shifts of the 7AT under most conditions - especially when paddle shifting up through the gears under throttle - this is something the 5AT didn't do so well and something that frustrated the hell out of me.

IMO, the 7AT was meant to be ripped and tortured under heavy throttle and hard manual shifting - it is definitely the most fun this way. I wanted the 7AT so that I could have more gears to play with using the paddle shifters - and that is exactly what I am getting. (I will be happy if the paddle shifters don't fall off the steering column considering how much and how hard I use them).

With respect to the 3.5L 5AT v. the 3.7 7AT - I am trying to remember that the 3.7 has VVEL (no throttle body). Although I am not sure, I think this is playing a role in the entire engine/tranny mapping. I don't think the 3.7 is as responsive to throttle inputs in the same way and maybe this is contributing to how the 7AT performs (or is programmed to perform). The 3.5 with 5AT felt much more free-revving. I would love for an Infiniti 7AT engineer to pop on this site and provide some insight about how and why they programmed the 7AT and how the 3.7 with VVEL impacts the programming and mapping!

Almatti - I keep tellin' you - step on it, brother!! I hope you can find a way to be happy with your car. It sucks to read that anyone on here is not happy with the car considering we are all enthusiasts of some sort.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
use2vw

I was just saying to myself that my Toyota Highlander has a better down shift and accel response than this G37x does...sad... I've been toying with our slow tranny and trying to learn how to best drive it...(funny cause the program is suppose to learn our driving methods)...
Anyway, maybe other people can comment on this but, I've found that if rollin around ~30-50mph and need to accel fast - that it's better to jam the gas pedal 3/4's of the way down instead of mashing it to the floor. My experience so far (1,800miles) is that when I floored the gas pedal, the engine would just REV like it's in nuetral and 1-2secs (eternity) later the car would bolt forward. BUT if when I need to move fast...and instead of mashing the pedal to the floor, I kinda modulate pedal 3/4's the way down - the tranny responds much faster with down shift and move??? Give it a try...or maybe this car's just making me crazy...I miss my Acura 6sp Manual BIG TIME!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
blnewt: Right On Man..... I am "pleaseantly" surprised by all the responses to this Thread. It's a shame but evidently this poor performance is in the 09s as well. probably b/c that is when Infiniti went to the 3.7 engine with the 7 spd Auto Tranny. The lag is one major issue {and without being any sort of expert, seems directly related to the ECU and RPM shift points as others have indicated}, the other is the HORRIBLE 5th Gear. Drive your cars on local roads, 35 - 45 -50 mph, your in 5th gear, play with throttle, hit on & off and see & feel the reactions of the herky jerkiness in that gear together with the lag (or slow response). The RPMS don't move much b/c you are in to high a gear at that speed. This is for achieving mileage ratings....to hell with fanastic repsonse in the older models - the 07 G35X I keep going back to. This is in D mode, BUT I feel that in DS mode, although a little less. Again sorry for ranting, but I Don't Want To Hate This Car for 38 more months!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
PascalT

I've definitely felt the lag on the car's transmission when using D mode. However, in DS and manual mode it's much more subtle and nothing to really complain about IMO. I'm guessing people who are use to manual trannys will notice this lag a lot more often.

My car is at 4.5k kilometers right now and I feel (or notice) the lag a lot less than i did at first. use2vw is right in saying that if you press the pedal 3/4th down instead of jamming it down, the engine will rev up more smoothly.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Almatti

I'm With YOU, LINY_ROB. I keep trying to step on it.....but the Lags / and even worse, that "untorquey" 5th gear - Overdrive feeling makes me crazy...I mean this s alleviated by driving in Manual Mode. But that should'nt be necessary. My wife took mt G for the first time yesterday to drive to work. She liked the Slower throttle response, but not not being a driving enthusiast to any extent, she did say she knew what I was talking about almost immediately. Your insights are very good and bring good points to the table as far as the fact that there is no throttle body on these new engines. That would certainly contribute to the drivetrain / driveaility issues of engine and tranny behavior. Infiniti Screwed It Up!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Almatti

Everyone's using Premium fuel, Right?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
cvroom

Originally Posted by use2vw
it's better to jam the gas pedal 3/4's of the way down instead of mashing it to the floor.
I guess it makes sense that while the trans is in streight "D" it does not respond appropriately to Wide open throttle. This mode was programmed for fuel conservation. "DS" was designed more for peddle mashes all the way to the floor so i will definitely be using that more when i need too.

Quick Reply: Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?