Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to drive the 6MT G37S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
coming from a honda, i'm assuming you've heard of the popping issue with some of the recent transmission no? gm synchro fluid was the solution for a lot of the 6MT 3rd Gen TL's. suffered from the usual "pop" and roughing getting into gear. i've noticed something similar in the 6MT G's...i'm having a difficult time getting it into gear, but i heard that our shifters were...some "rod" type...???? does that explain why getting it into gear is so knotchy sometimes?
I've not heard about this popping issue. I had a 1999 Civic and had it for 11yrs and never encountered that problem. The only issue I had was that in the past year, the shifter became very very loose and undefined (the bolts connecting to the shifting rods under the car were coming loose, this apparently was a common problem and dealers were going to give me the new parts for about $55 to do the work myself, but instead i just traded the car in.......it also needed ball joints, tie rods and maybe a new rack, brakes all around....)
Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Justin311

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have to say is....if you have to talk about how to use a clutch on the internet....buy an AT. And that is NOT aimed at the original poster. Just everybody who insists on babbeling about whether you can use the clutch to hold the car on the hill and its "so bad for the clutch". Wah. When I'm pulling 1.5 60's at the track with clutch rides against 10" wide rubber aired down to 10psi, pulling the front wheels off the gorund....yup, thats bad for the car.

Does it make me a bad driver? No. Does it mean I'll have to replace my clutch in under 40k? Yup. Do I care? No. I'll do it myself (at least in my race car lol) in my garage like I have the last 3 clutchs.

So dont make the distinction between driver skill level and how he likes to drive...its not a legit argument.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:15 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
What you do at the track and what you do on the street are different.

Do you use the clutch to hold your car on a hill? I didn't think so
Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin311
All I have to say is....if you have to talk about how to use a clutch on the internet....buy an AT. And that is NOT aimed at the original poster. Just everybody who insists on babbeling about whether you can use the clutch to hold the car on the hill and its "so bad for the clutch". Wah. When I'm pulling 1.5 60's at the track with clutch rides against 10" wide rubber aired down to 10psi, pulling the front wheels off the gorund....yup, thats bad for the car.

Does it make me a bad driver? No. Does it mean I'll have to replace my clutch in under 40k? Yup. Do I care? No. I'll do it myself (at least in my race car lol) in my garage like I have the last 3 clutchs.

So dont make the distinction between driver skill level and how he likes to drive...its not a legit argument.
LOL thank you for NOT pointing that at ME. Your point is noted haha thanks Justin!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Justin311

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
What you do at the track and what you do on the street are different.

Do you use the clutch to hold your car on a hill? I didn't think so

I launch on the street all the time. The lack of 10psi and VHT just makes it much easier on the clutch and not as good of an example. But still far worse than using it to hold the car on a hill.

Do I use it to hold the car on the hill? I have.

Do I do it in everyday practice? No need really. If its your main "go-to" move in everyday driving, you've got an issue, but doing it occassionaly is much better for your car than what most of us do in "spirited driving" lol