Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

News from Stillen SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We are right on target with our release date of the end of February to the beginning of March. I actually went on vacation on the 10th and just returned yesterday so I got the full download of where we stand on everything and I'd like to pass all of that information along to you guys.

For starter's a little recap on what has happened over the past few weeks. As you all know we had a delay from our intercooler supplier. They lagged on getting us our prototype but this actually turned out to be a good thing. Our initial design included a cast aluminum end tank which mounts to the front of the intake manifold. Because of the delays our intercooler supplier caused we had them simply send us the core and we had our in house machine shop prototype a couple of end tanks for us. Then we sent it all to our in house fabrication shop to be welded. Well, they turned out amazing!!! Nothing is sexier than machined billet aluminum and these things are gorgeous!!! So, we have actually decided to incorporate the machined billet aluminum end tank into the final design.

After the intercooler was installed the next thing to find out is if the intercooler would cause a boost drop across the face of the cooler. We are proud to report that we did not lose any boost pressure at all. We are running identical boost pressure before and after the intercooler.

Next we needed to find out how efficient the intercooler is at cooling and OH MY GOD!!! It is actually working better than we imagined. We have a temperature sensor right at the exit of the supercharger where the air is hottest and we have drilled the manifold to mount an additional sensor at the bottom of the manifold to measure air temperature directly before the air is taken into the engine. The difference in air temperature is truely impressive but most impressive is the consistency. Run after run after run the air temperature stayed nice and low.

One thing that all of us (including the forum members) have all been concerned about are oil temperatures. I am extremely proud to say that our test car (G37 coupe with auto trans.) is currently equipped with the intercooler, race oil cooler, and transmission cooler. And, there is still plenty of air flow to the radiator.

As Josh mentioned the tune has not been finished as of yet and we are laying down well over 400 horsepower at the wheels on a very safe amount of boost on an automatic gearbox car with large, heavy show wheels. You might say, who cares what kind of wheels are on the car? Well, we performed a test a few years ago and we actually found that our Nissan Titan truck lost 30 horsepower when we removed the O.E. 18's and installed the big, heavy, 22 inch chromed show wheels. The additional weight of the wheels require that much extra power to turn.

We have begun ordering parts and started the machining so that we are ready to ship as soon as possible. We do plan on offering an early bird special for those early adopter's who want to pre-order their kits and we hope to have that information ready for you all very soon however we do not want to release any information on price with out having the supporting dyno's and video's to give everyone all of the information.

We have finalized the two primary kits, street and tuner, and those prices are set. Obviously we're not going to release the pricing without supporting dyno's and video's. and we are discussing the best way to handle the race kit.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM
ruckus12251985

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the update, i still can't wait to see theses numbers and price
Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like good progress.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Josh@STILLEN and kyle@stillen, thanks for keeping everything professional.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 I have high hopes for a good SC kit for our cars.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
This is great! thanks for the update! I really can't wait now
Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Josh@STILLEN and kyle@stillen, thanks for keeping everything professional.
Count on it.. and the next couple of weeks should be pretty exciting..
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lovin' it, Lovin' it. Can't wait.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 AM
blazeahundo2

with the early bird special will we still be able to have a discount because we have generation 3's?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 AM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
We are right on target with our release date of the end of February to the beginning of March. I actually went on vacation on the 10th and just returned yesterday so I got the full download of where we stand on everything and I'd like to pass all of that information along to you guys.

For starter's a little recap on what has happened over the past few weeks. As you all know we had a delay from our intercooler supplier. They lagged on getting us our prototype but this actually turned out to be a good thing. Our initial design included a cast aluminum end tank which mounts to the front of the intake manifold. Because of the delays our intercooler supplier caused we had them simply send us the core and we had our in house machine shop prototype a couple of end tanks for us. Then we sent it all to our in house fabrication shop to be welded. Well, they turned out amazing!!! Nothing is sexier than machined billet aluminum and these things are gorgeous!!! So, we have actually decided to incorporate the machined billet aluminum end tank into the final design.

After the intercooler was installed the next thing to find out is if the intercooler would cause a boost drop across the face of the cooler. We are proud to report that we did not lose any boost pressure at all. We are running identical boost pressure before and after the intercooler.

Next we needed to find out how efficient the intercooler is at cooling and OH MY GOD!!! It is actually working better than we imagined. We have a temperature sensor right at the exit of the supercharger where the air is hottest and we have drilled the manifold to mount an additional sensor at the bottom of the manifold to measure air temperature directly before the air is taken into the engine. The difference in air temperature is truely impressive but most impressive is the consistency. Run after run after run the air temperature stayed nice and low.

One thing that all of us (including the forum members) have all been concerned about are oil temperatures. I am extremely proud to say that our test car (G37 coupe with auto trans.) is currently equipped with the intercooler, race oil cooler, and transmission cooler. And, there is still plenty of air flow to the radiator.

As Josh mentioned the tune has not been finished as of yet and we are laying down well over 400 horsepower at the wheels on a very safe amount of boost on an automatic gearbox car with large, heavy show wheels. You might say, who cares what kind of wheels are on the car? Well, we performed a test a few years ago and we actually found that our Nissan Titan truck lost 30 horsepower when we removed the O.E. 18's and installed the big, heavy, 22 inch chromed show wheels. The additional weight of the wheels require that much extra power to turn.

We have begun ordering parts and started the machining so that we are ready to ship as soon as possible. We do plan on offering an early bird special for those early adopter's who want to pre-order their kits and we hope to have that information ready for you all very soon however we do not want to release any information on price with out having the supporting dyno's and video's to give everyone all of the information.

We have finalized the two primary kits, street and tuner, and those prices are set. Obviously we're not going to release the pricing without supporting dyno's and video's. and we are discussing the best way to handle the race kit.
so you mean that u guys put down 400 HP and u still didnt finish tunning???? damn!! thats good!! thanks kyle,josh for the info!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sitting here wiht my credit card in hand, just give me the word....
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
car with large, heavy show wheels. You might say, who cares what kind of wheels are on the car? Well, we performed a test a few years ago and we actually found that our Nissan Titan truck lost 30 horsepower when we removed the O.E. 18's and installed the big, heavy, 22 inch chromed show wheels. The additional weight of the wheels require that much extra power to turn.
I figured that people with 20s and larger, heavier wheels than OEM would see their car perform a little slower due to the extra weight, but wow, a 30 whp drop on a Titan when going up to 22s is ridiculous! You wouldnt happen to have remembered what the weight gain of the wheels were?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeahundo2
with the early bird special will we still be able to have a discount because we have generation 3's?
I don't think the early bird special will affect the discount for those customer's who already have Gen. 3 intakes. That is an offer that we have made and we definitely plan on sticking to.

Originally Posted by philter25
I figured that people with 20s and larger, heavier wheels than OEM would see their car perform a little slower due to the extra weight, but wow, a 30 whp drop on a Titan when going up to 22s is ridiculous! You wouldnt happen to have remembered what the weight gain of the wheels were?
The Titan is kind of a worst case scenario but it was the vehicle that we used to do that test. Those trucks come standard with 18 inch wheels and then we put on the heavy 22 inch chrome wheels and I think the difference was around 40 pounds per wheel/tire combo if I remember correctly...I'll try to look up that data to confirm. Another contributing factor is the height of the wheel...Wheels are just like pullies and smaller pullies are easier to turn...The smaller the wheel and the tighter the packaging, the better for performance.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
cdeez

wow..this thread gets better and better every time.
kudos for the hard work you guys are putting into this..i can't wait...
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I don't think the early bird special will affect the discount for those customer's who already have Gen. 3 intakes. That is an offer that we have made and we definitely plan on sticking to.
What exactly is the discount offer? Are you getting the used intakes in return?

Quick Reply: News from Stillen SC