Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen Transmission Cooler Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
FadeAway 831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Transmission Cooler Kit???

Stillen is having a sale on a lot of their products this month and I have an automatic transmission G37S so I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the STILLEN Transmission Cooler Kit. Suggestions??
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eh, do you track? Otherwise the answer is NO
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I used to Autocross like once a week and my transmission held up fine.. If you go to circuits though you might need one
Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id get it if you track or run mountain roads where you are continuously shifting. i overheated my 7at running the dragon after about 15-20 mins. the reason though was the gearing left me between high 2nd and low 3rd so i was pushing it a lot harder. depends really on the tracks/roads that you drive.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
It certainly wont hurt. And you'll have some extra peice of mind when you decide to run it hard.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Given some of the issues with 7AT, do you really want to give Infiniti an excuse to void your warranty? If the tranny breaks due to heat and the stock config then you have something to bit*h about but you stick something on there and it breaks....

Is it worth a few hundred bucks to install an aftermarket part to protect a $7,000 (guess) tranny that is currently under warranty without said part but by adding said part may void your warranty.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I def heated my tranny up last caravan sitting in low gear and playing with everyone. But ^^^^ good point if its under warrenty don't touch it bc they'll blame the cooler
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
MentalWard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by w0ady
id get it if you track or run mountain roads where you are continuously shifting. i overheated my 7at running the dragon after about 15-20 mins. the reason though was the gearing left me between high 2nd and low 3rd so i was pushing it a lot harder. depends really on the tracks/roads that you drive.
Love the Dragon... Only done it on a Bike, so - may have to head up to 64 soon...
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Inside of the warranty period, I wouldn't install something like a trannie cooler unless I had the dealer themselves do the work. Since most dealers seem to promote Stillen products through their parts department, you may want to ask their opinion.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Def a good idea. Before I installed mine I had some times where I could really smell the tranny after a good run. Now, nothing!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but I am wondering if there is a DYI on installing this or some video I cannot seem to find. I do some hard driving around the desert roads and want to prevent any heat related issues for my tranny. Any idea how much the installation would cost?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a quote for installing a transmission cooler from a local performance shop last year. They wanted over $700, which seems crazy, but I don't have any other quotes to compare to.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:02 PM
JakeG37

Wow that is crazy. I wonder if that included the cooler itself? I cannot see this being that hard to do. Maybe 2-3 hrs tops in labor. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
I'll share that my research led me to go with a Derale Plate and Fin Cooler for my 5 speed automatic transmission. My research besides this site and the G35, 350 and 370 sites also included heavy duty applications for hauling, towing and jeeps running desert races. Also You-Tubed the Derale Trans cooler install videos (for me, a confidence builder).

The DIY would be straight forward: removing the front fascia, dropping the old trans oil, installing the cooler (for me, above the oil cooler on the driver's side, in front of the radiator. The hose runs come off the radiator's trans outlet to the trans cooler then back to the transmission inlet. Fit and tighten everything in place, replace trans oil, then test for leaks. My test was to do a light run on a nearby back road without the front fascia then a visual inspection. After that, just button her up. I did pre-fill the cooler before installing to help reduce initial air in the lines. After the run, i check the level of the trans oil and I also paid attention to foam or lots of air bubbles on the stick (sorta like with the Power steering cooler install). Anyways, besides all the planning and research and buying stuff/getting organized, the install was worth one 6-pak and 4 hours on a weekend.

I went high on the trans cooler to get air flow from the grill. In doing so, I did not see an increase in my radiator temps off the dash. Which is another good reason for a plate and fin design vice stacked plate. Just my observation in trying to max the air flow through two coolers/back-to-back.

Good luck and I hope I helped a little.
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (02-24-2021)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
JakeG37

Originally Posted by Bravo at
After the run, i check the level of the trans oil and I also paid attention to foam or lots of air bubbles on the stick (sorta like with the Power steering cooler install).

Good luck and I hope I helped a little.
You mention checking the fluid level on the stick? It is my understanding there isn't one for the transmission on the G37's.

Quick Reply: Stillen Transmission Cooler Kit???