Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to get 30lbs more torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
How to get 30lbs more torque?

I'm a new G37 sedan owner. I came from a muscle car, and I miss the torque. What's the best route to take to increase torque 30 to 40 more lb/ft.? I already plan on getting the Cobb accessport. What else? Do the aftermaket intakes actually work on a G37? I have read conflicting accounts of effectiveness. Hi flow cats? A whole new catback system + muffler/tips? What else?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Raizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just get a turbo kit
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM
xyz
Registered Member

If it is low end torque you are missing, then FI is the only way to go . . .
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Get set of hfc's cat back and cobb tune.that should do the trick.the only intake thay gived you any gains is stillen stage 3.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gears for the rear end?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Just go back to the muscle car like me

Problem solved.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You will not gain low end torque from HFCs, Intakes, etc. You will actually lose some on the low end from Intake, cat back, and HFC, but gain a little top end. FI is the ONLY way to gain the type of torque you want on this car.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
FI, stroke the motor, or increase compression.

None are cheap.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Abdiel

Nitrous? There's a thread in this subforum of a nitrous install.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black betty
you will not gain low end torque from hfcs, intakes, etc. You will actually lose some on the low end from intake, cat back, and hfc, but gain a little top end. Fi is the only way to gain the type of torque you want on this car.
+10000000
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Are there any dealers that anyone knows of that will install a supercharger and still keep the factory warranty? I'd love a supercharger, but cost + voided warranty tend to steer me away - who are the manufacturers for G37 FI mods anyway? I don't have a clue in terms of who makes things for us....

I like the idea of a CAI, tune and catback/hfcs as I think my dealer would be more inclined not to void a warranty for exhaust and intake mods. Gearing is a thought, but expensive and sort of a hassle.

All very good suggestions, though.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
jran76

I would see how you like the Cobb. The throttle opening on these cars make the low end torque seem even weaker. More aggressive throttle settings may help. A lot of people complained about the throttle "tip-in" on the 07 model, so Infiniti tried to make is smoother. In the end, it makes it feel like it lacks low end torque.

Throttle "tip-in" is essentially how responsive the car is when you press the gas. The 07 models jerked and where a little rough off the line due to the more aggressive throttle settings. They have dialed it back in subsequent years to quell some of the complaints. Those complaints most likely did not come from enthusiast....

With the above said, I agree that this car lacks the low end others have. Even compared to my 04 G35 there is a noticeable difference. As mentioned, most breathing mods will hurt the low end torque (less back pressure) and help the higher end power (better breathing).
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Are there any dealers that anyone knows of that will install a supercharger and still keep the factory warranty? I'd love a supercharger, but cost + voided warranty tend to steer me away - who are the manufacturers for G37 FI mods anyway? I don't have a clue in terms of who makes things for us....

I like the idea of a CAI, tune and catback/hfcs as I think my dealer would be more inclined not to void a warranty for exhaust and intake mods. Gearing is a thought, but expensive and sort of a hassle.

All very good suggestions, though.
There are currently no S/C available. The dual intakes present some challenges that most companies do not want to deal with (at least the ones that had S/C out for previous models). For turbo kits, you have a few options. GTM makes several really nice twin turbo kits, and they have a great reputation. AAM also offers a TT kit, but based on reputation and feedback I would go with GTM over AAM. You could also take the HKS twin turbo kit and have the rest of the parts fabricated (the HKS really only comes with manifolds and turbos, plus misc hardware).

At this point, no one is going to offer a warranty. If you want to keep your warranty, I would go with the intake, HFC, exhaust, and Cobb combo you mentioned. Most dealers would be OK with everything but the Cobb, and possibly the HFC. Don't add pulleys or other similar bolt-on mods. If someone like Stillen comes out with a S/C they may offer a warranty (they did on their previous version for an additional cost).

GTM= GT Motorsports in Cali
AAM= Altered Atmosphere in MD
There are a lot of good vendors on here that offer such products too. Forged Performance in Atlanta would be a good vendor on here to talk to. They offer all of the above mentioned systems.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM
DrJones

a little off subject but I'm pretty sure Infiniti will drop the Nismo tuned 3.7 into the 2010 or 2011 model @ 350hp.... anyone else think so... the torque is 276lb ft.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by DrJones
a little off subject but I'm pretty sure Infiniti will drop the Nismo tuned 3.7 into the 2010 or 2011 model @ 350hp.... anyone else think so... the torque is 276lb ft.
I am pretty sure the engine is basically the same VQ37VHR. The difference is in the tuning, and the exhaust. The Nismo 370Z uses a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe with a slightly different tune for the gains. The torque gains are higher up in the RPM band. This would also be the case for intakes, HFC, and any decent exhaust. Most will increase torque at some point, but not at the point you are really going to notice (under 4000 RPM's).

Quick Reply: How to get 30lbs more torque?