Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoyalawya
I agree. The first gear ratio number is very high. Picture below is taken from the Coupe forum. The 7AT would have to keep it in 2nd during slowing down to a complete stop to prevent the jerkiness.

Lol dude I posted that at #22
Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM
brynomon

For the first time today I drove in Chicago's awful traffic with stop and go for about 25 miles. Thats right anywhere from 0-5mph and 20-30mph. The total time was about 45 minutes or so... Absolutely unbearable.

Jerking and hesitation was to the point that the ride was uncomfortable and I almost got rear ended 4 times by three different people. I don't know if it will get better soon or not but its unacceptable for my driving. I didn't notice any of this on a Saturday when I test drove her. The honeymoon may have been awesome but if this keeps up for much longer i'm filing for divorce.

Ugh. Sorry for the whine post, but if anyone has a recommendation please tell me because aside from the jerkiness of downshifts etc... I love this car. Maybe throwing the tranny into DS mode with the paddles helps but how can I feel safe with my girlfriend driving the car since we share it? I barely felt safe and I'm a very good driver. She's awful.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
w0ady

i drive my car with manumatic 95% of the time so im not sure i see where the problem is. ive noticed slight jerkiness in D but nothing like you're complaining about.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
G37beijing

I first posted this problem and am still facing it daily since my traffic conditions are like your on a DAILY basis.

DS does not help at all at these speeds. In fact the jerking, slight choking and hesitation will get worse and more scary in DS mode.

Paddle shifter helps at speeds below 35MPH and responds reasonably fast. However, at about 36MPH, where my G37 Journey has the worst bogging, the transmission responds slowly when using the paddle shifter to downshift.

I don't allow my wife to touch this car for safety concerns.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
G37beijing

w0ady: I noticed that you have the S Coupe, which could be different in transmission and engine programming from the 4 dr Journey.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
w0ady

nope. s only has cosmetic, aero and suspension changes. the transmission programming adapts to your driving style from im told. my shifts seem to be quick and firm after the kind of driving ive put it through.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
brynomon

Okay so the transmission is supposed to adapt to driving style and perform smoother after 1k of mileage?

Are some of the earlier posters still experiencing this problem? No resolution or just learned to deal?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 AM
hoyalawya

Originally Posted by brynomon
Okay so the transmission is supposed to adapt to driving style and perform smoother after 1k of mileage?

Are some of the earlier posters still experiencing this problem? No resolution or just learned to deal?
My 7AT RWD feels smoother now at 1,000 miles. I think that it is more from the fact that I have gotten used to the car and can predict how the 7AT is going to shift. My in-traffic driving style has now changed too. I now leave more space in the front to allow smoother breaking.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Michelangelo

I still don't see a problem at about 750 miles. Yesterday was one of those D.C. traffic days where it takes an hour to drive a distance that would normally take 20 minutes without traffic, and I have experienced nothing like what others describe. I can feel the 20 MPH downshift but it is not the least bit jerky--in fact, I've started to use it to help with braking as I come to stop lights and such.

Does anyone experiencing this have AWD? Or is it all RWD cars? Mine is AWD. Not sure how it would make a difference, but it would establish some sort of common factor.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 AM
brynomon

My g37 sedan is awd like yours.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just picked up my 09 AWD 7AT over the weekend. At higher speeds she coasts fine.

At city speeds the tranny is very much in a hurry to get to those SHORT 1/2/3rd gears...thus..heavy engine braking, poor fuel economy and the occasional jerkyness.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

In the likeness of Howard Stern: This tranny is very busy with all these gears.

On a serious note, 7 speeds is just playing to the mags and other car makers. A well spaced 5 or even 6 speed should be just fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Cali_Jay_916

I have had the same bogging issue as "beijing" on my 2008 G37 coupe S during in traffic driving ride around the same speeds as he does. Infiniti could not duplicate. I stopped driving in automatic because of it but on the occasions that I do use the automatic...it still does it. Will be making another appt next month. Will attempt to post update after i get my car back
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
As I mentioned in another post -I had a loaner RWD for a few days and the upshifts were great in MM mode- more crisp than in the 5AT. The downshifts were less smooth but not at all "too jerky". If felt "sporty". I guess alot of Sedan folks may be looking for a smoother tranny but I wish that the 5AT had the same sport shift feel in gears 1, 2 and 3.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at the end of this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...oncerns-9.html

There is a TSB firmware update to smooth out the transmission downshifts.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Supermac34

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
If you look at the end of this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...oncerns-9.html

There is a TSB firmware update to smooth out the transmission downshifts.
Does this apply to the jerky transmission? The thread you linked seems to apply to the issue of the transmission reving up and pushing the car foward when breaking. Is there a TSB that fixes both issues?

Quick Reply: G37 transmission concerns