Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
G37USR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, well i have a 08 TL Auto right now, and it's fast and all but nothing compared to a G37, and i know cuz i test drove a G37 auto. The 7spd auto makes for very fast acceleration. And this car has much more trq, and love the feeling of VQ engines. And this may feel diff, b/c its a lil heavier then the TL, and its RWD.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also found that the G37 does not keep the momentum as well as the Acura TL when I release the accelerator pedal. I am not knowledgeable about cars but it appears to me as if the transmission downshifts enough to hold the car from keeping its momentum —particularly around 20 mph.

[/quote]

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with what appears to be a 3-2 downshift that happens every time the car is between 20-25 mph. The downshift is sharp and actually causes a heavy braking action which is very annoying in traffic and while trying to do normal braking. I'm having to modulate around the downshift bump just to brake normally. The problem is compounded on my S model since it has the big brakes and even using the lightest pedal touch doesn't allow me to brake smoothly. It's the hardest car to brake smoothly that I've ever owned or driven. I wouldn't have bought the car if I had noticed the problem on the test drive.

I don't care what anyone else says, this is NOT normal for any car, and shouldn't be attibuted to the car being tuned for sport driving. The car should be designed to do sharp downshifts only when controlled by the driver using the DS and/or paddleshift modes, or when it "learns" from your driving style that you prefer that sort of driving style. If you search other threads on this forum and others, some people are having problems with lunging at those speeds due to inaccurate rev matching at those speeds, so I guess Infiniti decided to just let our cars do a hard downshift with no rev match to prevent the other problem. The really disappointing thing about this is that I acutally waited for the 09s to come out in order to get the 3.7 engine and the 7 speed transmission. I hope they get a fix for this by the time I take it in.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by Silver37
I also found that the G37 does not keep the momentum as well as the Acura TL when I release the accelerator pedal. I am not knowledgeable about cars but it appears to me as if the transmission downshifts enough to hold the car from keeping its momentum —particularly around 20 mph.

I have this exact same problem at 20 MPH. I have driven many sportscars in my lifetime and this is absolutely not acceptable. It's right at 20 mph! When slowing to a stop, it down shifts harshly causing my head to go forward as the car jerks as it slows. I also understand what people are saying about feeling like the car is being held back. This is not normal! Until you have driven the car, you would not know what we are feeling. If I'm cruising at any speed.....say 40, and let off the gas, the car starts bogging/slowing. It's as if you have downshifted into way too low of a gear. I can only hope, maybe they will have a recall and correct this problem if enough people complain. This thread is a good start. I absolutely would not have bought this car had I noticed this problem prior to my purchase. Unfortunately, I only test drove a 2008 and not the 2009 with the 7 speed.....HUGE MISTAKE

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 03-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Does this happen in any mode? ie: DS or D?

Since it's a computer controlled transmission, I'm sure they can easily change the software to not do this to such a degree.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
RotaryRevn

Originally Posted by Riley
Does this happen in any mode? ie: DS or D?

Since it's a computer controlled transmission, I'm sure they can easily change the software to not do this to such a degree.
I can tell you that it happens in D. I have not tried DS yet. I should add that the car currently has 700 miles on it so I'm hoping that it gets better with more milage. I haven't even gunned the car due to the low milage....still breaking it in.

I was thinking the same thing about the software. Hopefully that is possible. I wonder if they would have the capability to adjust the software on a customer by customer basis (without a full recall) as the complaints start rolling in......and they will roll in.

I'm glad I found this thread by searching google for 2009 g37 transmission problems

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 03-26-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Riley
Registered Member

I would think after a number of complaints that it would be addressed on a TSB and to only those cars where the people complain.

I don't own a G37 yet (doing my homework now) but will look for this on my next test drive.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Keng

Well the 3rd gear and 2nd gear ratio difference is quite large
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM
marathon_runner

I have this EXACT same problem on my 09 G37x sedan. I have close to 1700 miles on it, and the problem hasn't gotten any better.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
RotaryRevn

I found this link on the infinity website. It's for recall info and Infinity consumer affairs. I plan on writing them a letter complaining of this problem and asking them to come up with a solution. Maybe if enough of us do this, they will take notice:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/contactus/recall

There's also a phone number for consumer affairs. Let's bring some attention to this problem. I'll write them and phone and post any updates/info I get from them.

If further assistance is needed, please contact the Infiniti Consumer Affairs Hotline at 1.800.662.6200 (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Eastern/Central/Pacific Time).
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Mine has actually smoothed out quite a bit from the time I did my last post on this issue. I'm pushing 1500 miles, so maybe the software is sorting itself out. I'm still going to complain when I take it in of for a couple of other items since this shouldn't be happening at all, and having 7 gears should make thing better and not worse than the previous generation's transmission.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
G37beijing

I have been having this problem since day one and it's not shown any signs of improvement. But my initial posting under the heading "G37 Journey bogging at low speeds " didn't seem to get any attention on this problem. Now it is obvious that many more users are facing this issue. After driving this car for about 4,500 miles, I've termed this car "a devil under 50mph and an angel above 70mph".

In Beijing's rush hour traffic, this car is NOT DRIVABLE! It's as simple as that. In stop and go traffic, the tranny behaves so unpredictably and erratically that it sometimes scares the driver.

I don't think break-in will cure any of these ills. It's likely that the owners are more used to the problems over time.

I think the main cause of these problems is that Infiniti, in an effort to boost fuel efficiency, tweaked the RPMs TOO low for light to medium throttle openings. Then when it downshifts, the torque kicks in in a violent manner with a sudden RPM surge.

For example, my G37 Journey 7A is already in 6th gear at around 36MPH constant speed and 1,200 RPM. This is nuts!

I've test driven another brand new G37 at the dealer. It's a dead ringer!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37beijing
I have been having this problem since day one and it's not shown any signs of improvement. But my initial posting under the heading "G37 Journey bogging at low speeds " didn't seem to get any attention on this problem. Now it is obvious that many more users are facing this issue. After driving this car for about 4,500 miles, I've termed this car "a devil under 50mph and an angel above 70mph".

In Beijing's rush hour traffic, this car is NOT DRIVABLE! It's as simple as that. In stop and go traffic, the tranny behaves so unpredictably and erratically that it sometimes scares the driver.

I don't think break-in will cure any of these ills. It's likely that the owners are more used to the problems over time.

I think the main cause of these problems is that Infiniti, in an effort to boost fuel efficiency, tweaked the RPMs TOO low for light to medium throttle openings. Then when it downshifts, the torque kicks in in a violent manner with a sudden RPM surge.

For example, my G37 Journey 7A is already in 6th gear at around 36MPH constant speed and 1,200 RPM. This is nuts!

I've test driven another brand new G37 at the dealer. It's a dead ringer!
When I test drove the 2009, I was particularly concerned about the throttle response since the previous generation Gs were know for being hard to modulate. I was pretty happy with the way it worked when I test drove it, and even tried some very slow runs to check it out. I think Infiniti has tried to solve the problem with gearing the 7 speed really low in 1st, then quickly going thru the gears in order to help with economy. I really wish they had put an economy/normal/performance switch so you could select how you wanted it to drive. The 3rd gen Maximas had it, and it was a great feature.

I would definitely take yours in and have them go over it. Maybe there is a software flash they can load that would smooth it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Michelangelo

Originally Posted by Silver37
When I test drove the 2009, I was particularly concerned about the throttle response since the previous generation Gs were know for being hard to modulate. I was pretty happy with the way it worked when I test drove it, and even tried some very slow runs to check it out. I think Infiniti has tried to solve the problem with gearing the 7 speed really low in 1st, then quickly going thru the gears in order to help with economy. I really wish they had put an economy/normal/performance switch so you could select how you wanted it to drive. The 3rd gen Maximas had it, and it was a great feature.

I would definitely take yours in and have them go over it. Maybe there is a software flash they can load that would smooth it out.
I've had my G37x sedan since Saturday afternoon and have done a fair amount of driving in traffic and on open roads (yes, here in Northern Virginia it's not unusual to get stuck in traffic on a Sunday). So far it's been fantastic.

I do notice the 7AT downshift at around 20 MPH, but to me it seems very gentle--it certainly doesn't cause my head to snap forward, or anything like that. Perhaps it's because my car is very new and whatever software updates were necessary have already been applied?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Have any of you taken the car in for a test ride with a technicial. Or hav eanyone tried resettin gthe ECU?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 AM
09'G37SAWS

You are all so nice. Nobody mentioned that even the 09' TL's with the AWD still have that rapy racing like its going to explode sound even when they arn't going anywhere. I guess this can be mistaken for speed. Great car, real well balanced in the turns but there is no ignoring the interior chineyness and of course the exterior beating with the ugly stick.
Take you G out of automatic and stomp on it. Then see what you get.

Quick Reply: G37 transmission concerns