Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VVEL Actator Motor Power Problem

Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
geeedude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VVEL Actator Motor Power Problem

I started my 2008 G37s 5AT Wednesday night and attempted to back out of driveway but had little to no power when I tried to accelerate in reverse. I then put the car in drive and the car still had little to no acceleration (no more than 5 mph with gas pedal floored). I immediately parked the car back in driveway. I initially thought my tranny was shot.

On Thursday morning I called Infiniti and they towed the car to dealership (providing me with a replacement vehicle) to inspect.

On Friday they called me to tell me the problem was computer related. More speciically, the fuel intake was not getting the right signal from the computer, or something to that effect. Obviously, I'm neither computer or mechanically savvy.

Long story short, the invoice states,

"Code P1091 VVEL Actator Motor Power, Perform DTC confirmation. Passed No Code Set, Test drove vehicle, okay."

Driving home I had the opportunity to open her up on the freeway, exceeding 100 MPH as the troopers were on the opposite way shoulder attending to an accident. No problem with acceleration.

Anyway, I need to know if I should expect this to be a recurring problem.

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Achilles

I've heard of this same problem on other G's. You're not alone and the computer just needed to be replaced. I don't think the problem has returned after the ppl who had this problem had their computers replaced. You should be ok!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
geeedude

They didn't replace the computer, they just reflashed it - - - whatever that means. Reflash good enough?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
sxt173

reflash basically means they erase the old software on the computer and put new software on it. Similar to installing a new operating system on your home PC, but a bit more at the hardware level (equivalent on home PC would be to reflash the BIOS read only memory).
If the hardware is functioning properly, reflashing is perfectly acceptable fix for a software issue.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
geeedude

Your feedback is much appreciated and will help give me peace of mind. Since the reflash, I have had no issues.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sxt173
reflash basically means they erase the old software on the computer and put new software on it. Similar to installing a new operating system on your home PC, but a bit more at the hardware level (equivalent on home PC would be to reflash the BIOS read only memory).
If the hardware is functioning properly, reflashing is perfectly acceptable fix for a software issue.
Say you had gotten the VVEL TSB work done to fix the VVEL knock and then you get this reflash later - how does that work - does the VVEL knock TSB's software stay on there or does that get wiped out and reversed too?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the reflash done for the valve clicking and surge issue. I may have to go back and get it done again or demand a new ECU because the car is idling funny again.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
I've had the reflash done for the valve clicking and surge issue. I may have to go back and get it done again or demand a new ECU because the car is idling funny again.
Did yours include the Ester Oil change as well? I hear without it - it may return.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's the valve clicking that came back. It's the RPM surge that is returning. The car idles 300-400 higher than normal. This was one of symptoms of the surging at low RPMs.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
geeedude

It happened again. Infiniti has the car again and says they have ordered a relay in hopes it will fix the problem. Very frustrating to say the least. Thankfully I was home both times it happened.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM
sgagnon78

I have the same problem right now with my Infiniti G37x 2011 sedan. They told me that they interchange the two relays, as per Infiniti recommandation. They said they test both relays and they were working fine. We will see if the problem come back again...
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 AM
geeedude

sgagnon78...the second time worked like a charm. I guess the new relay worked. Here it is more than 6 years later and I've never had another problem with the car. Car still performs like new.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:01 PM
sgagnon78

Thanks for the feedback !