Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Low oil????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low oil????

I decided to check the oil level on the dipstick today and turns out its on the L (low) I only had the car for 2 weeks so far and it has only 560 miles on it. Should I take it to the dealer? what will they do?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
I decided to check the oil level on the dipstick today and turns out its on the L (low) I only had the car for 2 weeks so far and it has only 560 miles on it. Should I take it to the dealer? what will they do?
wtf? Don't tell me this model also burns oil. I better check my car to. And yes, I would take it to the dealer and see what they say. They might just add oil and tell you to check on it.. If it happens again, they will add more oil, and secure the oil pan and dip stick and do an oil consumption test.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gday
wtf? Don't tell me this model also burns oil. I better check my car to. And yes, I would take it to the dealer and see what they say. They might just add oil and tell you to check on it.. If it happens again, they will add more oil, and secure the oil pan and dip stick and do an oil consumption test.
OH NO !! I CHECKED MINE TOO AND IT IS ALSO LOW .. THIS IS WHY NISSAN BOUGHT BACK MY 06 Z ... PLEASE NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Did you check it when you got it? It was probably low from day 1. Fill to the appropriate level and check regularly, only then can you tell if you have a leak or an oil consumption issue.

Nobody else here has reported excessive oil consumption so if that is the issue it's your particular car and not an issue with the G37 at large.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
BroDaJin

every car consumes oil, doesn't matter if it new or old. It's your job to check the oil often. My friend Cayman consumes about 2 quarts of oil every 2-3k miles and he bought it brand new , My 2 past G's consumed oil too
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
GNLuver

Your car is brand new and still breaking in...it will consume oil. Keep it checked. It will settle out and minimize after a couple thousand miles. I did notice that if I fill mine full now (little less than 8,000 miles) it burns off a half of a quart and stays there. It has been posted elsewhere that this is pretty normal.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by BroDaJin
every car consumes oil, doesn't matter if it new or old. It's your job to check the oil often. My friend Cayman consumes about 2 quarts of oil every 2-3k miles and he bought it brand new , My 2 past G's consumed oil too
True, but not as much as my previous G35. My old GS-R which I redline daily, didn't even look like it consumed any oil. After 7k miles, the oil level will still on the fill line. Even after the oil change, I put 4qt in, and received "about" 4qt back.

In the G35, I put 5qt in, and after 3.5k miles, I get about 1.5-2 qts back.

Nissan clearly has issues with it motors. They STILL haven't fixed it. I'm going to be pissed if my G37 is burning oil.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Did you check it when you got it? It was probably low from day 1. Fill to the appropriate level and check regularly, only then can you tell if you have a leak or an oil consumption issue.

Nobody else here has reported excessive oil consumption so if that is the issue it's your particular car and not an issue with the G37 at large.
No I didn't check the first day I got it... could've been low since then... but should I take it to the dealer? they won't charge me right?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Same thing was said about the G35. No one was talking about oil consumption til alter in 2006-2007. The 05 G35 and 06 were burning oil and the Dealership just shrugged it off for almost a year telling us to add and use 10w oil.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:48 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Same thing was said about the G35. No one was talking about oil consumption til alter in 2006-2007. The 05 G35 and 06 were burning oil and the Dealership just shrugged it off for almost a year telling us to add and use 10w oil.
+1 That goes for the 05 and 06 z as well .
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
BroDaJin

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
+1 That goes for the 05 and 06 z as well .
I think it goes for every car that has a VQ in them. Nissan quest maxima, Altimas M35
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 AM
BroDaJin

True, but not as much as my previous G35. My old GS-R which I redline daily, didn't even look like it consumed any oil. After 7k miles, the oil level will still on the fill line. Even after the oil change, I put 4qt in, and received "about" 4qt back.

In the G35, I put 5qt in, and after 3.5k miles, I get about 1.5-2 qts back.

Nissan clearly has issues with it motors. They STILL haven't fixed it. I'm going to be pissed if my G37 is burning oil.
At least our engine not building up sludge like Audi 1.8T and and the other crap motor they had. Oh and Toyota settled a huge class action law suit couple years back with their engine building up sludge.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most cars consume oil during break in. Just get it changed and watch it over the next thousand miles. It should level out...
Old 09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Gday
Banned

Originally Posted by BroDaJin
At least our engine not building up sludge like Audi 1.8T and and the other crap motor they had. Oh and Toyota settled a huge class action law suit couple years back with their engine building up sludge.
quit making excuses for by bringing up other problems facing other manufacturers. burning more than 1/2 qt is not normal. My G35 burned at least 2qts. If that's normal, than Nissan / Infiniti needs a new business plan. Maybe they should just sell oil.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
erasat

Wow, I just checked mine, curiosity, Low also. I changed it at 3100 miles, car has 4800 miles and low. When I changed it I noticed that it burned about a quart, so I assumed that it was because of Break in, but LOW now, WTF?.

I just left a voice mail to the Service Manager of my local Infiniti (Friend of mine), but if he doesn't answer until Monday I really don't know what should I do? What do you recommend, bought 1 or 2 quarts and use it normally or just schedule a service appointment? If it's for service, is this kind of things covered by Warranty, what are they suppose to do?

Quick Reply: Low oil????