Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Interesting clutch issue. (CLUTCH DELAY VALVE?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sharif@forged
There is no clutch delay valve, nor does such a beast exist. As long as the VDC is off, you are going to smoke your tires, OR slip the clutch. The OEM clutch is fairly crappy, and a high RPM drop, on a sticky piece of road, might slip the clutch, rather than hook and spin the tires. You probably just got lucky the second time around. But for best effect, you need to mat the gas pedal, and 100% POP the clutch. I have done this many times in our shop's parking lot....no delay...just smoke, and a couple dark lines on the ground.
Thanks for the input.

My previous 335i Sedan has a CDV valve installed. That's how I got the idea.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
joe32288
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Burnout broke my clutch!?

So I also has an issue when trying to do a burnout. I turned off my VDC, revved up, and tried to drop the clutch... but the transmission wouldn't engage into first. As I tried to get it to engage, my clutch pedal went totally dead for a few seconds before building up pressure. There was a strong smell of burnt plastic (clutch). That was a couple of days ago. Now any time I shift into first or second at low RPMs, the car rumbles and lurches before the clutch engaged properly. This only happens in first and second, and only at lower RPMs. If I rev the car up just a bit higher then normal, the clutch engages fine. Other than that, the car drives fine, but this seems like a pretty serious issue. I'm thinking I either totally burned up the clutch, or it could be the fluid for cooked. Has anyone else ever encountered this or does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
My guess is it's the the clutch and flywheel. Go with something track spec if you're going to be this abusive.