Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Supercharger vs Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
fireboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you drive a car with alittle respect and you dont drive it like you stole and dont push it to its limits everyday then it will hold up for a long time as long as its tuned right as well... i know guys that have ahd TT on G35/350Z and have had them for 20,000 plus miles and dont have any makor problems, especially with internals
Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fireboy
if you drive a car with alittle respect and you dont drive it like you stole and dont push it to its limits everyday then it will hold up for a long time as long as its tuned right as well... i know guys that have ahd TT on G35/350Z and have had them for 20,000 plus miles and dont have any makor problems, especially with internals
I agree with this, but your TT setup on the 3.7 is totally new to the world. Without checking the engine internals for wear and tear at regular intervals there is no way to tell what effect the TT setup is having.

Even conserative driving still stresses the engine, even without a TT setup. You may run fine for 10k or 20k, but you may be causing premature wear of internals. We just dont know. I would push your shop to break down the engine after it has a good number of TT miles down, just to make sure everything looks good.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Buddy Revell

^^^That might be too expensive/time consuming to do, but a regular compression check or leak down test to see how well the engine is holding up to the boost may be a more convenient alternative.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
yea a compression check is not to big of a deal... i would forsure think about that... i know il be boosting sometime soon i hope..
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
if this is a serious question, the supercharger driven by the drive belts to create boost. the turbo uses exhaust gasses to drive an impeller to make boost.
thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
TerribleONE453

tiny bit of lag... boosting.... more boost.... head slammed in the seat.... tire spin... blow off valve.... YES
Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
If it's tuned well and you keep the boost low on a turbo system, it should be fine. I had a turbo system on my old Celica, which had even higher compression ratio than the 37. I only ran about 7.5-8 lbs. of boost and it was my reliable daily-driver for years.
well, i actually started writing about not wanting the hassle of beefing up the trans but erased that part before i posted. i'm not interested in monster power. i'm looking for a under 5 sec. 0-60, 12.8 - 13.1 quarter mile car. that is plenty for me and i think the trans would hold up. i'm completely familiar with twin turbo cars as a daily driver,

but the high cost and all the extra attention needed doesn't appeal to me

Originally Posted by willizm
I thought that one of the advantages of a twin Turbo over a turbo was there were little to no spool up time. Is that right or myth. Also, with the G35/350z how well did the TT kits hold up to excessive heat as that has always been a con to a turbo as it uses the hot exhaust fumes to drive the forced induction.
if terrible doesn't answer, i'd like to pipe in.

a few sequential turbo cars offered the option of two different sized turbos to eliminate lag. the 03-97 rx7 tt, maserati biturbo, late 80 porsche ruff turbos, etc. the small turbo would spool up quickly and provide low end boost and the larger turbo would kick afterwards with more punch. this was supposed to eliminate the trade off between larger turbos that offered more power and smaller turbos that eliminated lag.

as for the g's and z's there are a bunch of blown motors on driver from the early turbos. i've seen some recent threads with rods coming out of the side of the block from too much boost. and as far as the heat, i don't think that was an issue or ever has been. i'm not quite sure about the question you're asking, but heatwise, the main problem turbos have is the coking (frying the oil) that occurs on the turbos internals.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
fireboy

and that is why they have oil coolers to keep that from happening(which one will eventually be developed for my car) but know i have not read anything eitherabout heat being a problem in the g35/350z.. the only problem is the rods(to smal) and the rod bolts are not strong enough so about 400whp or so they start to fail... far as the trans they are extremely tuff. the clutch is a different story, will need to get a better one
Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
TerribleONE453

Yea a main problem of turbos is it may cause your car to burn oil depending on how the turbo is cooled... also bigger turbos will hold boost in higher RPMs and lag more obviously because it takes more exhaust air to spool them... smaller turbos give you better throttle response but dont fall off in the upper RPM range... For auto Xing a smaller turbo set up is usually better because you wont all of a sudden hit high boost and spin out ect.... Personally i think a TT is manageable for a DD IMO... because i am used to driving turbo cars although i can say they are not for everyone. Superchargers are easier to deal with but i would not spend my money on oen...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 AM
EdwarDxCorE

have u guys heard the engine of a merc slr during acceleration? that's what im hoping to make my g37 sound like. i believe that the slr is supercharged but tt wouldnt be a bad alternative.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM
willizm

Thanks for the info about the different sized turbos spooling effectivness. I'm looking to only get around the 400-450RWHP mark so time will tell what the best option is. In the interim, I'm probably going to get HFC, Injen Intake, and Exhaust. Also price and maintanence is important with FI. I'm intending to have the G paid off in two years, so then is the time I will be making my determination on FI.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM
TerribleONE453

well... if you ARE planning on going FI you might want to hold off on buying the intake since it will not work with a front mount intercooler set up... unless you are willing to take a little bit of a hit on it... Same with the HFCs because you will need to switch to down pipes... Your WHP all depends your tune... you could even go with a small efficient turbo and hit that no problem... Or larger turbos and run lower boost but you will lag more... but that also gives you the option to push more of course. The biggest problem with our cars now is there is nothing to tune them with so you will need the HKS standalone unit... which equals big bucks....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
well... if you ARE planning on going FI you might want to hold off on buying the intake since it will not work with a front mount intercooler set up... unless you are willing to take a little bit of a hit on it... Same with the HFCs because you will need to switch to down pipes... Your WHP all depends your tune... you could even go with a small efficient turbo and hit that no problem... Or larger turbos and run lower boost but you will lag more... but that also gives you the option to push more of course. The biggest problem with our cars now is there is nothing to tune them with so you will need the HKS standalone unit... which equals big bucks....
I guess that's one advantage a supercharger has. You'd be able to keep the HFCs, and if it's designed like that Blitz prototype, you'd be able to use the intakes, too. For those who are going turbo, they can always sell their used intakes and HFCs to the n/a guys.

I wonder...when it comes to engine management, does Technosquare have the capability to reflash the ECU and tune it to work with a custom turbo system, larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, etc.?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just slap a kenni bell on the bitch and be done with it... you want tq thats the way to go lol