Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Almost Redline :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
weathertop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Redline :-(

I have 400 miles on my new G37 Sport and need feedback on the following:

How likely is it that I screwed up my engine by mistakenly taking the engine up to 7K RPM for less than a second? Redline is 7.5 K rpm.

...I was on this beautiful stretch of road and decided to punch it, but was horrified when the tach started to fly to the right. I immediately let up on the gas at 7 K RPM.

I haven't noticed any issues. And, I'm planning on changing the oil this weekend. I'm just wondering if it is likely that I'll throw a rod at 80,000 miles.

Comments (and chastising) welcome.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You're fine... No sweat!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
OMG this is getting to be a little rediculous..

"OMG I redlined.."

"OMG I went through a puddle.."

It's just a car guys. I'm guessing your car had a few miles on it when you bought..?? Rest assured, its already been redlined several times so feel free to continue to "open her up." I put 80,000 on my G35 and redlined it the day I got it and everyday after that until handed it over, never a problem. Still no problems (yes I know the person I sold it too).

Oh, and ALMOST doesn't count.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^1,000000000
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

I wonder if there were questions like when the G35C was first launched? It's like a lot of people on here have never owned a car before....
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
override00

lol dude you're fine!!!

I've worked on a couple engines before and we actually tested the whole break in period myths and such on a k20 . Long story short we boosted a brand new rsx-s (100miles) with a full race kit at 7psi (325whp) very conservatively tuned (the car hit the moroso 1/4 mile strip and was on the dyno redlining many times). Took the engine apart 20k miles later and it still looked brand new.

I don't believe this applies to every car, but my guess is that engines are built much better now than they used to and maybe the whole breaking period being crucial is something that comes from older generations.

It would be interesting for someone to actually document something similar.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe

"OMG I redlined.."

It's just a car guys. I'm guessing your car had a few miles on it when you bought..?? Rest assured, its already been redlined several times so feel free to continue to "open her up." I put 80,000 on my G35 and redlined it the day I got it and everyday after that until handed it over, never a problem. Still no problems (yes I know the person I sold it too).

Lol... +1. I think for many the G37 may be their first new car or maybe their first performance car so they are overly cautious. None-the-less, it's a car... Auto manufacturer's have come a LONG way since the Model A.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
50% of people think there is no need for break in... and id say there is a high percent of your cars that someone test drove and pegged the gears before you got your car.... its not a big deal at all!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
vINCe_Inc

i know a senior engineer with gm (relative of mine) and he mentioned that i dont even need to worry about breakin the car in thesedays. its just something they still put into the manual. *for gm atleast.
as for redlining your engine... hmm. i think i might cause it to melt..
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually I see a big issue with this!!

See, whenever you hit redline you get pushed against your seat and that causes damage to the leather seat and makes it wrinkle. To avoid that, I suggest you keep the RPM below 2000 at all times. That way, you get no wrinkles on the seat and your engine won't blow up!! LOL

No need to worry at all whatsoever!!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
The1andOnly

Originally Posted by Gday
Seeing that it's a VQ, I would be worried. VQ aren't very Rev-Happy if you know what I mean. I mean the torque maxes out at 4.5k doesn't it?

The S2k on the hand reaches max torque at about 6.5k i believe.
It wouldn't matter whether or not the VQ is rev-happy seing he only did it once and only for a few seconds at the most. It would be different if he was just reving over and over. Plus a lot of pepole forget or don't know that the VQ had been rated one of the top 10 engines in the world based on many factors since it's inception.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 AM
NemesisG37

Search Is Your Friend......no More Redline Bs Threads!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 AM
majin ssj eric

I've been redlining my car since I got it last week. No worries......
Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 AM
raptorius

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe

"OMG I redlined.."

Diamond, while I still haven't purchased mine, when I do its going to barely fit my budget and I am a car nut, to the point where even though I despise my current car, i wash the stupid thing weakly and detail it myself and whatnot. Things like this can make some of us antsy about our cars and make us worry. While yes redlining it for a second (not really since he only hit 7K) but if you are still new to cars and don't understand they come here for help. I know that some of these are ridiculous but most people are on here for help and some of us do over worry. (I am going to turn into literally the most **** person ever once I get mine)
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 AM
weathertop

Originally Posted by raptorius
....but if you are still new to cars and don't understand they come here for help. I know that some of these are ridiculous but most people are on here for help and some of us do over worry...
Yep, this is a pretty good description of myself

The G is the first thing I've owned that even approaches a performance car as all of my prior cars have been Hondas. And, I've spent those years following break-in period recommendations religiously and filling dealers pockets at every service interval.

Originally Posted by override00
... Long story short we boosted a brand new rsx-s (100miles) with a full race kit at 7psi (325whp) very conservatively tuned (the car hit the moroso 1/4 mile strip and was on the dyno redlining many times). Took the engine apart 20k miles later and it still looked brand new.
Thanks, Override. I really appreciate this feedback. I feel much better, as yep, I'm pretty ignorant about cars in general.

And, I'd like to thank everyone else for their help. I also read the thread about the guy who went through the puddle and I also rolled my eyes. So, I knew I'd probably invite the same response. But, I am glad that my angst is largely an "eye-rolling" angst as I am tired of driving my cars like I've driven my Hondas.

Think I'll still watch it, though as that tach has a reason to be there, even on an automatic.

Quick Reply: Almost Redline :-(