Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil change/Fujita Intakes/warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 AM
jchen043

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change/Fujita Intakes/warrenty

I am hitting 3k miles and thinking for oil change, should i take off my fujita intakes and put it back the stock intakes for warrenty purposes ? Will they mark down i added intakes to my car and void my warretny in any way ? because i don't want my warrenty void, just becuase a oil change!

thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They sell the intakes at the dealer so it should not be a problem.. Plus the only way it could ever void your warranty is if the intake CAUSES the problem
Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your worried about it that much... call the dealer and ask them... you dont have to tell them who you are... make a fake voice up if your nervous...lol
Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 AM
jchen043

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
If your worried about it that much... call the dealer and ask them... you dont have to tell them who you are... make a fake voice up if your nervous...lol
i ask if i can install them and they told me it voids the warrenty if i install them and someone told me in other threads that it is agaisnt federal law, so i am not so sure =/
Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I woudn't worry about it.

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.

Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT".
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

^^ yea ...what he said!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve.
Please tell me where, exactly, in the M-M Act, it says that?

The best summarization I have seen is by Road & Track in their January 2008 Tech Correspondence, responding to a question by a SRT8 owner:

"Neither modification (cat-back exhaust and CAI) should affect your warranty, although you can expect the dealer to take a stab at evading any warranty issues by blaiming them on the non-Chrysler parts. Legally, the warranty remains valid as long as the aftermarket parts did not directly cause the problem. Therein lies the lawyer's playground, as proving any technical cause and effect in the legal system can be surreal."

Bottom line; the dealer does not have to prove anything. The dealer only has to deny warranty coverage blaming the aftermarket part (or owner neglect or misuse). It is up to the car owner to prove the fault or failure was not caused by the aftermarket part.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
, imma try that. hopefully this dealership let me mod my car without trying to void the warranty.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a good explanation of the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
6sp-G37

change your own oil then. Its not really that hard. Or take off the Fujita intakes and put the stock ones back on. pick ur poison.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
jchen043

Originally Posted by 6sp-G37
change your own oil then. Its not really that hard. Or take off the Fujita intakes and put the stock ones back on. pick ur poison.
I bargined at dealer ship for 3 years free oil change/full detail and full tank of gas everytime i oil change, so i think its better to oil change there, and i paid $50 for a auto shop to install the intakes and i don't want to have the trouble to take it out myself and messing up the engine in anyway. So ya im just gonna leave the intakes and go oil change tomorrow thx guys ~!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 PM
6sp-G37

not to be mean or anything but when you bought the Fujita intakes did it come with instructions to install?? All it is, is just bolt on stuff. But yea thats a good deal, stick with that a save some money!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
jchen043

Originally Posted by 6sp-G37
not to be mean or anything but when you bought the Fujita intakes did it come with instructions to install?? All it is, is just bolt on stuff. But yea thats a good deal, stick with that a save some money!
It did but i am not into car engines or any installations and never touched the engine before so ya....i don't really like risking the chance of messing it up
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Let us know what they say
Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by Callaway
Here is a good explanation of the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html
Yes, that is an explanation. But, it is a simplistic explanation, not a good explanation.

P.S. I have spent many, many hours working on behalf of distributors respecting application to the M-M Act. No where in the Act itself does it say a dealer must prove use of an aftermarket part caused the problem to deny warranty coverage. The Act itself does not distinguish between manufacturers, distributors or dealers. The "bottom line" of the Act is that consumers can not be required to use the manufacturer's replacement parts (to keep the warranty intact). Believe me or not, but telling the dealer that the dealer must prove your aftermarket part caused the problem before denying you warranty coverage, will (1) do you absolutely no good and (2) provide some humor to the service manager. I stand by R&T's position.

Quick Reply: Oil change/Fujita Intakes/warrenty