Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

controvertial topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jnifong
not waiting for it to unthaw.
Hmmm, wouldn't that be thawed?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
EightOneZero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever changed the oil on a brand new car? Ever do it to a car that was ABUSED? You will see a difference in the metal shavings that drain out

If the Gcoupe is meant to be your daily driver, break it in easy
I am a motorcycle road racer. We break in bikes on the dyno brand new. But we also sell the bike after the season and buy a newer one. So reliability and engine life are never issues for us. Yes there is proven research that breaking in a motor hard, will produce more HP and thats why we do it. But does it really matter for a luxury sports coupe car you will be driving to get groceries in?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
jnifong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joeposter
Hmmm, wouldn't that be thawed?
Ha..yeah you're right. unthaw in that sentence makes as much sense as "hot water heater". Why would you need something to heat hot water?

Duh

Jon
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 AM
SoCalOBG37

Originally Posted by Raheel
Dude i got to 600 Miles and accidentally went over 4000 RPMS like twice and O MY GOD I feel like F THIS BREAK IN THING! This cars screamin for me to floor it
LOL me 2 man sometimes it just wants to go faster...takes so much patience not to step on that gas pedal. LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I've read the "breaking in question thread" but found something recently and was wondering what you guys think:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This guy basically explains why it makes more sense to break in the car by NOT babying the RPMs. He also emphasizes the slim window of properly breaking it in. If that's true, does the 1000mi-1200mi break in rule still apply?
There is nothing wrong with what he is saying as this article has been debated for years now. The only problem could be if something wasn't bored properly and you end up breaking a ring or ring land. Almost all race cars are broken in the way he suggests, but race engines almost always have some blow by and aren't worried about going 100k on the engine.

From my experience, you should break in an engine by driving it like normal. Try and avoid 1000 mile highway trips, but normal driving is ok. Engines are initially broken in at the plants. 90% of the break in is done within the first 20 minutes. Only thing I would stay clear of is using synthetic for initial break-in due to superior coefficient of friction which doesn't allow the rings to seat in the honed cylinder walls as efficiently. This could lead to premature blow-by and lower compression.