ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Thoughts on HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 07:56 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb Thoughts on HPTuners?

Hey guys, thought I'd get a thread started to discuss and maybe monitor this topic. I wonder if anyone here has either A) ever used HPTuners on their G37 and/or B) if anyone has even ever heard of anyone using HPTuners for any G37 or 370z?

I know EcuTek and UpRev seem to be the "go-to" platforms for tuning and probably for good reason. They both seem like great software for our cars, and it seems anyone with any significant horsepower or mods has one of the two got tuning their car. There is a small debate about which is better between the two it seems. I have also purchased the EcuTek kit. I haven't tuned with it because I am having the worst customer service experience ever with Z1 at the moment.... but eventually, hopefully, I'll get a tune file.

I was curious about access to the actual true software that the tuners are using to create a custom map/tune for your EcuTek setup. I think it's called ProECU. Then again, that could just be the consumer side program that we as end-users download and use on our PCs to load files and otherwise interact and communicate with the EcuTek dongle, etc. Of course, I cannot open this program or install it because it requires the USB dongle license key. And Z1 did not include that in my $800 purchase,

All of this added up and got me curious, so I went and checked HPTuners supported vehicle list. Sure enough, TONS of support for all kinds of Infiniti platforms. Great success! I know HPTuners is a great program for tuning and has been around for quite a while.

HPTuners has great customer support, forums, and is probably more widely used across the country than EcuTek.

So, I wonder if HPTuners can tune our cars just as well as EcuTek or UpRev. Now, if someone is looking for all the little “extras” like “burbles” or flames or other oddities built into their tune, maybe HPTuners isn’t for you, I don’t know. I have yet to look further into it, but I will. I’ll keep updating this thread. I hope we can all have a discussion about pros and cons. If it turns out HPTuners is just as good as EcuTek or UpRev, why not take a chance?

Off the bat, price seems to be cheaper with HPTuners from what I can tell. There are different options for purchase with HPTuners, so who knows if there’s more or less “bang for your buck” vs EcuTek. At the time of writing this, even selecting the Pro Feature set brings the total to $849.94. That includes the hardware, license, and even software all for roughly the same price I just paid Z1 Motorsports to send me a paperweight EcuTek kit with no tuning support. And If I wanted to go have a new, local tuner tune my car, who knows what the total could be after I pay for another license and a pro-tune. With HPTuners, dropping down to the standard, non-Pro version + 4 credits + tuning software program only costs $599.95. That’s significantly cheaper than any EcuTek combo hardware + license + tuning (remote or local).

I would personally probably opt for the Pro Feature set for the Standalone Data Logging feature.

The biggest alure for me is the software. I reached out to EcuTek directly to see if they even offer/sell their tuning software. The answer was a resounding NO. They only distribute this software to approved “Master Tuners” who apply and are approved to receive. However, HPTuners software is easily available. They make it so not only can tuners use it, obviously, but also average Joe dudes like you and me. One of my best friends got sick of going from tuner to tuner and learned how to tune himself on a 1200whp Corvette in his garage. So, I know it’s a very capable platform. I may just return this EcuTek kit and pull the trigger and be a guinea pig for HPT.

Let’s discuss!!

HARDWARE & SOFTWARE

MPVI2+ and Pro Feature Set

Supported Vehicles List

Old 02-09-2022, 08:34 PM
BigSpoon
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Checked out the HPTuners forum. Great support network if one ever decided to learn how to tune their own cars with HPTuners. On this particular thread, some promising comments, some not so much lol. Granted, this was 2 years ago, so I hope they've addressed any issues: G37 Timing changes

One of the tuner's comments made me chuckle:
I have 17 guys in line for this stupid pop and bang tune and I cannot get the timing low enough to function properly for them.
I want none of this crap on my tune. I just want my car to make the most amount of good clean, safe power and allow me to data log and view real-time data while driving, etc. Another good read: Intro to Nissan/Infiniti tuning with HP Tuners

Does EcuTek have a comparable forum support network like the HPT forum? If so, I certainly couldn't find it. Although the guys who are famous allegedly for knowing the VQ engine the best seem to use UpRev or EcuTek, I'd at least throw this out for consideration: HPTuners arguably is much larger than EcuTek and probably has more amazing tuners out there who can tune cars wonderfully who are more familiar with HPTuners... therefore increasing availability to find local tuners
Old 02-09-2022, 10:29 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
I hope i can add to this conversation.

Qualification: my son tunes domestics (can you say LS) with HP Tuners (@MCTuned). We made a wholehearted attempt at using HP with the G but kind of threw in the towel due to the spark advance table, A.K.A, burn rate table.

As it stands, Nissan/Infiniti uses the burn rate table for spark advance. The burn rate table is determined inside the ECU using a rare form of magic and a random number generator...or so I understand : ). I saw the reference to the HP Tuner thread that discusses the futility of adjusting the burn rate table because the ECU will step in and readjust any changes based on knock and few other things. This was a problem experienced by early versions of Uprev as well.

Soooo, what we ended up doing was purchasing the Uprev self-tune package and have been working that angle for a few months (12ish of them). We did some initial work last year; the engine stayed together, life happened, and just yesterday we decided to take it seriously and wrap it up this weekend and add VQ street tunes to his resume. We will see what happens. Our biggest issue to date is keeping the AFR on target near the Rev limits (and MAF sensors; thank you Infiniti, may i have another ... as if two isn't enough...)

As a note, Uprev offers an add on package to the base program called ARC tools, these additional tools include an option that replaces the burn rate table with a standard D-BTDC table based on RPM and the base fuel schedule (and don't get us started on base fuel schedule.). The ARC add on feature works around the limitations associated with the burn rate table. I know there was some work at HP regarding this same issue, but the new table hasn't been released as far as I know. I think once it is released, then HP Tuners will be a player.

Based on my experience and u/BigSpoon's customer service experience, I would recommend to anyone wanting a tune to first do all your power adder mods, then find a JDM shop that uses HP, EcuTek or Uprev and let them have go at it.

Second choice is a remote tune, but those can take months as you are dealing with a shop tuning tech who works all day and is doing remote tunes at night, so it will get done, but it might take a while.

Another option is to self-tune with Uprev or HP if you have the experience or know someone with experience who is willing to spend the time helping out. (Just a note, Uprev will not provide tuner support just for buying the self-tune package...support happens for the big boys - business owners - who partner with Uprev.) ... Or find a friend with a shop who has the EcuTek license and work out a deal.

In my experience, dollar for dollar, there isn't much savings with a self-tune. The only advantage is the owner gets to own the tune and can update it with any added or deleted mods. So, if you are modding, demodding, upmodding all the time, then a self-tune (or financial independence) is needed, otherwise the one and done method by a pro would be a good path forward.

In closing, we have scoured the interwebs and there isn't a lot of info on VQ tunes out there...the two most helpful forums are HP Tuners and Evans Academy. The lack of easily available info makes sense since anyone doing the tuning work is depending on that work to pay bills and eat. Gotta respect that.

Open to questions or comments, but no trolling please, just wanted to get this out there for others to read and contemplate as they begin, or continue, their VQ journey.

Oh, and great post BigSpoon! Saw the corresponding post on HP a little bit ago and came over to find out what you had to say. Let's hope that HP puts together the timing advance table soon. The program is cleaner and their front-end is much more intuitive and user friendly than the competition.

Last edited by beefychicken; 02-09-2022 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigSpoon (02-11-2022)
Old 03-29-2023, 05:54 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
With Ecutek's recent announcement. Any updates on the HPT front, specially with boosted cars?
Old 03-30-2023, 12:59 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Q60awdSPORT
With Ecutek's recent announcement. Any updates on the HPT front, specially with boosted cars?
Are you talking about their drop of E85 tuning?
Old 03-30-2023, 01:07 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Are you talking about their drop of E85 tuning?
EcuTek - 'The Way Forward' Initiative - Nissan 370Z Forum

no longer disable any emissions related DTC like for no cats, or hijack and repurpose numerous emissions related inputs that are common for flex fuel and/or boost control.

wondering how many people are going to jump ship to something else like standalones or try HPT.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:37 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Q60awdSPORT
EcuTek - 'The Way Forward' Initiative - Nissan 370Z Forum

no longer disable any emissions related DTC like for no cats, or hijack and repurpose numerous emissions related inputs that are common for flex fuel and/or boost control.

wondering how many people are going to jump ship to something else like standalones or try HPT.
Ouch, I'd see this more on the HR however the VHR community will hurt for sure. So far I've seen only Haltech has had luck with VVEL and use the entire VVEL computer and harness for it tied into the Haltech.

But this means, some headaches with 2ndary O2s, swaps are out of the picture and so will e85, boostcontrol, ect.

That sucks, thanks for the link.
The following users liked this post:
14Q60awdSPORT (03-30-2023)