ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Remote Tune Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 02:39 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
That would be why then I guess, you need the license purchased and activated. But it's all tied in together with your 1 USB dongle that you have. Sorry it's been several months since I did mine, and I bought everything together at once, so I plugged it in and it worked from the get-go.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 03:05 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

If you want to know a funny, and kinda sad story...

Toward the end of my tuning process, luckily... I kinda broke my USB dongle. I forgot that I had it plugged into my laptop still and I went to put my laptop back in my backpack and it wasn't sitting flush in there, so I thought it was just caught up on something, so I smashed it in there repeatedly until the laptop fit in the bag like normal. The next day, when I went to take out my laptop to use it, I noticed there was a very smashed USB plugged into it and I obliterated my dongle. I laughed and then got really mad at myself. A replacement is like $115!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,612 Likes on 3,453 Posts
Forewarned. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:14 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 459 Likes on 386 Posts
For that very reason I use bluetooth mice, since there is no dongle (regardless how small) sticking out the side of the laptop.

depending on the tech used for the dongle, you might be able to image it and install the image as a drive so it doesn't need to be physically present.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
depending on the tech used for the dongle, you might be able to image it and install the image as a drive so it doesn't need to be physically present.
Perhaps. But given how many hoops you have to jump through with EcuTek, and the fact that a replacement thumb drive is $115 according to backman here, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the app is coded to only link to the authorizing data along the USB bus.

Either way, I'm not going to fck with it.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 336 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Perhaps. But given how many hoops you have to jump through with EcuTek, and the fact that a replacement thumb drive is $115 according to backman here, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the app is coded to only link to the authorizing data along the USB bus.
Either way, I'm not going to fck with it.
EcuTek has put in a lot of effort to protect their software. Everything is encrypted.
After all, they probably have 1,000s of hours into copying reverse engineering the factory hardware and software.

So... good call on using it as it
Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 AM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
You know, data logging is going to be a PITA with this cable hanging right next to my left leg.

Suddenly I see the added value opting for the Bluetooth Connector.

I keep forgetting to shoot this your way in case you hadn’t already thought of it:

https://www.amazon.com/AntiBreak-Extension-Diagnostic-Extender-Compatible/dp/B07GR5W9PV/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=obd2+extension+cable&qid=1614491503&sprefix=obd2+extension&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/AntiBreak-Extension-Diagnostic-Extender-Compatible/dp/B07GR5W9PV/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=obd2+extension+cable&qid=1614491503&sprefix=obd2+extension&sr=8-5
Rochester (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:57 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
All fair comments that a long tube design > OEM airbox > R2C. And honestly, it was always my intent to upgrade the R2C intake to the Takeda long-tube. However, as the years clicked by, that just never happened.

Also, I love the way my R2C intakes look with that Black Nickle finish, and all the trim. Everyone makes their own decisions between aesthetics and function. It may not always be a rational decision, but mine to make nonetheless.

So you're right, I agree, but I'm keeping the intake setup as is. Good points, though. Thanks guys.

the fact that you have the heat shields around the filters makes it better than the typical short ram. So in reality it probably functions somewhat better than the stock intakes but not quite as well as the long tubes.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
I keep forgetting to shoot this your way in case you hadn’t already thought of it:

https://www.amazon.com/AntiBreak-Ext...tension&sr=8-5
That's certainly interesting, thanks! I suspect that after getting the license that I'll experiment with data logging before getting the remote tune, and may discover the need for this extension cable. Cool find, 2.2Lude.

[edit]

After looking at this some more, apparently there are also low profile, flat ribbon extensions. That would be perfect. So I went ahead and ordered this one here:
Amazon Amazon

As for updates on this project... It will be March tomorrow, so according to my schedule I'll be looking to purchase the license next week. After that, wait another couple months for winter to end and start the tune.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-11-2021 at 12:05 PM.
2.2Lude (02-28-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

OBD flat cable extension

I received this flat extension cable yesterday, and it's going to make it a LOT easier to data log. No doubt about that. Thanks for the idea, 2.2Lude.

However, when bringing up the "Feature and License Information" screen, I noticed that my "Registration Code" was different than it was last month. Didn't matter whether I use the extension cable or not, which was my first thought. Either way it was different than January's screen capture. I wonder if the engine was running when I did this in January? Because according to EcuTek's FAQ, you're suppose to engage the ignition without starting the engine.

https://ecutek.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/...Tek-ProECU-FAQ

Anyway, here's a pic of the flat cable in the port:

Last edited by Rochester; 03-03-2021 at 01:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
abrecos (01-08-2022), jpowersjr2 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I wonder if the engine was running when I did this in January? Because according to EcuTek's FAQ, you're suppose to engage the ignition without starting the engine.
I just experimented a number of different ways, and the registration code kept coming up the same regardless of the engine running or not.

However, that code is different than January's code. This is disconcerting because I'm planning on a 2 month gap between the license and the tune.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Sweet, glad that worked out for you.

I actually meant to send the Amazon link for the flat ribbon one you purchased lol. I had bought it myself but returned it because the veepeak dongle is fairly tiny and doesn’t hang low at all.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Buying the EcuTek License

Yesterday, I reached out to Moncef at AdminTuning, to prep for the tune in May, and to make arrangements to purchase a license. I also asked him about the variable registration code through the ProEcu software. His response:

The registration code changes every so often for security purposes. It is normal for ECUTEK.

So this isn't some random thing, it's something he's aware of with EcuTek. It seems counter-intuitive to have the registration code keep changing, but if EcuTek explicitly coded for that situation, and Moncef says it's normal, well, there it is.

OK then, moving forward. I just sent $300 to Moncef through PayPal for the license file, with a recent screenshot of the Registration Code and Dongle ID through the ProEcu software.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-03-2021 at 09:12 AM.
jpowersjr2 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Applying the EcuTek License

Moncef accepted payment and configured "225 Flash Points" from EcuTek (whatever those are), applicable to my car and dongle. This was the image file Moncef sent me:

Following instructions in that image, I connected the laptop and dongle to the car and ran "EcuTek Update" from the ProEcu software. Through the internet to EcuTek, it updated the dongle with those flash points. That wasn't what I was expecting. IDK why, but I got it into my head that the tuner would configure a portable file with EcuTek using the Registration Code from the car and the ID from the dongle. Honestly don't know why that's what I was thinking, but hey... whatever works!

Then I updated the software and the drivers, restarted ProEcu, and now my red "no soup" comments at the top of the software have gone green.

So I guess that's Step #2 done and in the can. Now I wait for winter to end, and reach back out to Moncef in May for the remote tune.

Things are going according to plan. Fingers crossed for Springtime.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-03-2021 at 04:20 PM.
jpowersjr2 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Yay awesome dude! I'm happy it's working out for ya. Are you planning to do any type of maintenance first like spark plugs, cleaning tb's etc? I know your car only has like 45k miles though.

lol I still have to put up the $115~ for the replacement USB since I demolished mine.
Rochester (03-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Remote Tune Project