ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Advice Before Tune!!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Datsun40

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice Before Tune!!

Alright guys, so I'm going to schedule a tune(UpRev) with Z1 motorsports in Georgia soon and I am in South Carolina. So far I just have an axle back installed but I also have Gen 3 intakes(not installed). I've read that G's run rich after a certain amount of breathing mods so I'm debating if I should install the intakes now and take that 4 hour trip with the chance of running rich or drive there then attempt to install the intakes there with limited tools(which I see this install is kind of a pain). Any advice?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
If you have just an axleback exhaust and a Stillen intake, IMO you don't need a tune. An axleback is very minor in terms of performance gain and would be very unlikely to throw off your AFR. It would definitely help and be better, but most people get tunes after all of their breather mods (intake, HFC/test pipes, catback, headers, etc.) are installed.

The Stillen intake is a PITA to install, as you have to remove the front bumper. You can always ask Z1 to install it for you before the tune.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Do you plan on getting anymore bolt-ons? If so, wait to tune it until after everything is installed. You'll be fine with the AFR, just make sure to only get premium gas and you'll be fine, the ECU will adjust for most of the changes. Now, if you don't plan on getting anymore bolt-ons then yes, go ahead and install the intake before the trip and get it tuned. Short of long tube headers, I have every bolt on without a tune and no problems here.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
If you have just an axleback exhaust and a Stillen intake, IMO you don't need a tune. An axleback is very minor in terms of performance gain and would be very unlikely to throw off your AFR. It would definitely help and be better, but most people get tunes after all of their breather mods (intake, HFC/test pipes, catback, headers, etc.) are installed.

The Stillen intake is a PITA to install, as you have to remove the front bumper. You can always ask Z1 to install it for you before the tune.
The bumper comes off in like 15 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Isaacm19 (05-11-2020)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Datsun40

Well the original plan was to just do intake, rhfc, and axle back for bolt ons in hopes to get around the all mighty 300whp NA after getting the UpRev tune but after installing the top speed axle back it has a perfect deep tone that isn't too loud. I know if I add the fast intentions RHFC it will make it too loud for my taste as a daily driver though. So that's what made me give up a little power for comfortability. Now that I know installing the stillen intake won't cause any problems I will most likely get into it this weekend.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM
AzNBoY92

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Remember you need to do some cutting to install the stillen which is why I did Takeda.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Datsun40

Originally Posted by AzNBoY92
Remember you need to do some cutting to install the stillen which is why I did Takeda.
Yeah, since I have spare time this weekend I'm going to take my time and try to make clean circular cuts for those two holes. Then use thin padding to make sure nothing rubs against anything.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 AM
AzNBoY92

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Good luck! I thought the Takeda was going to be easy but good thing my friend helped me.. Hardest part was trying to get them through the holes, needed some car wax to easily do it lol.
The following users liked this post:
Datsun40 (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
You will be fine to have the Stillen Gen 3 without tune because the car will adjust. I have been running mine for over two to three months and no problems here. The installation is tough requiring you to dremel the core support so you can fit the intakes. Have to make sure that there not enough room I'm getting a rattle noise die for them so I'm going to have someone adjust them for me. Good luck
Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Datsun40

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
You will be fine to have the Stillen Gen 3 without tune because the car will adjust. I have been running mine for over two to three months and no problems here. The installation is tough requiring you to dremel the core support so you can fit the intakes. Have to make sure that there not enough room I'm getting a rattle noise die for them so I'm going to have someone adjust them for me. Good luck
I'm going into it with a lot of research done ahead of time so I'm hoping nothing major will hold me up. Thanks for the input and advice. Also if you find where the tubes are actually rattling against something it could be as simple as using a thin pad with the one sided tape.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
I drove my car with R2C intakes and a Fast Intentions catback without a tune for months without problem and no change in gas mileage. An axle back and stillens will be fine. I had my RHFC installed and the car tuned at the same time. No point in getting a tune until you're done with bolt ons. Even then, I'd question the purchase of a tune without high flow cats of some kind. Freeing up the cats is where all the power is going to come from if you're sticking with bolt ons.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:35 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Congrats - Would you mind making a DIY video of installing the stillen Gen 3 cold air intake when you get a chance of doing it.. I am also going to purchase SG3 but would like to see how to install it.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I've been running a Nismo R-tune intake for over a month and I installed a set of Fast Intentions resonated high flow cats. I was really rich after the intake installation and a little less so after the RHFC's. Still way too rich for ultimate power but part throttle feels stronger. You'll be fine for the drive down to Z1.

The Stillen is known to lean out the mixture which is where the hp jump comes from. It appears others need tuning to optimize the a/f and thus power.