ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

End User Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
End User Tuning

I realize that the odds of people on this forum being interested in this are slim but I wanted to gauge the reaction here anyway. How many people with tuned ECUs would be interested or prefer to have the option of end user tuning?

For those that do not know what that means it means you have control over your tune personally, all the time, whenever you plug up to it via your cable and computer and reflash the ECU. Yes, this means you could seriously mess up your engine. It also means you could tweak things on your own instead of paying for it every time. Obviously this is not an option for the faint of heart or non-tuning inclined but it would allow for a huge time saver for those of us versed in engine tuning. Most all ECU tuning programs for our chassis having data logging so street tuning via this would be fairly easy.

I only ask because I am trying to decide on which route I personally want to go with ECU software and right now ECUtek is on the top of the list, however it lacks end user tuning. I come from the SR20 platform where most our programs allow not only end-user tuning and real-time tuning but the community is very open with sharing tunes so you have MANY options for a start with a tune if someone has similar modifications as well, so I'm rather spoiled when it comes to tuning. I have been talking to the people in the UK with ECUtek and the main reason they haven't pushed forward with end user tuning for the 370z/G37 platform (like they have with the BRZ and MX5) is because of lack of interest. And honestly in the G37 community I believe that, but it was sad to see a similar thread in the 370z boards that also lacked interest. I'm presuming it's due to the learning curve and disastrous results if a mistake is made.

Without it as an option we are left with who has the best deal when it comes to getting the hardware, software, and providing a tune for our car (because everyone's car is different and would benefit from individual tunes rather then a generic off the shelf tune). And that's not a bad thing for the majority I imagine.

So how many people would be interested in end user tune-ability with our tuning software? If not, why? Most likely the "no"s and whys are going to have the most logical and sound responses.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:52 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
The Uprev tuner and ECUTEK programming kit both allow end user tuning. So if you want to tune your own car, you can. These programs, however, allows the tunes to be locked per tuners request. Have fun.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Ecutek told me they do not suport that. Have you had experience that differs? I know Uprev does but your limited in a few of the tables you can adjust from my understanding wher Ecutek has access to more.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Ecutek does offer end user tuning unfortunately it's not for our cars yet..
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099
So how many people would be interested in end user tune-ability with our tuning software? If not, why? Most likely the "no"s and whys are going to have the most logical and sound responses.
I am VERY interested, but the software/hardware cost is quite high: $800 US / $1,000 Canadian.

By the end of the month I expect to have dumped my ECU and will be using WinOLS to find the maps.
Basically, I want to understand the factory tune first.

The G37/370z crowd is interesting... I would of thought more people would be very interested in this, but overall, they don't seem to be very mechanical/technical. (I don't mean to insult anyone, not everyone is a "Mr. GoodWrench")
Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm interested in this. I came from the Subaru world, where there is also an abundance of information and options via Open Source. I was pretty disappointed by the lack of options for the 370/G37 platform. I'm even more limited with a 2008 ecu. But I got the UpRev Tuner license, and got my car running clean, so I don't really have anything to complain about at this point.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
zer099
Premier Member

I came from a similar boat, my track car is an older sr20det and I've ran NisTune for years on it and calumsult before that. It took a few month of catching up on these forums before I realized the sad truth. Sort of in line with my thoughts of piecing together a turbo kit for. I have everything save the ECU tuning capability and the exhaust manifold, but there is a pretty strong hold on companies not wanting to sell just the exhaust manifolds so its drop ~$10k or pull the engine and get a welder to make a gig for me. Made me just want to go NA.

Anyways, I asked back in the day because I had just gotten off the phone talking to EcuTek and was thinking about how they were like "if there was more interest...". But I think what I was asking was too long winded and no one really responded. Besides, I was thinking the other day: EcuTek already has the base coding/software to allow end-user tuning, I mean come on the software used by the tuners is just that; it's just a choice to not do it. And that's all well and good.

That all said I most likely with be getting a tune soon via Rob at TSM (if I can get a hold of them) or have Seb do it remote. I still have a few tuners to contact about remote work, but Seb's been the best at being helpful, fast to respond, and informative.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Would it be possible for someone to post a screen shot of the stock fueling, timing, MAF & cam tables?

This would greatly help me find and define the map locations.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 05-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm on a supercharged tune for 600cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, and cam isn't adjustable. So, I can't show stock tables. And, the variable valve timing isn't available on the UpRev Tuner, so I can't show that.

Also, a heads up - the tables are setup really weird in UpRev. There are some tables where the units don't make sense at all. It's been a while since I've opened up the software, but from what I recall, there are tables where the X axis is "Word Data"; I believe there is a "Mystery timing map" in there somewhere; and ignition timing is not in Degrees BTDC, but rather burn time. So, it's not intuitive at all. What I've learned is that the tuning process with UpRev Tuner is a guess-and-check process. If you want to change the timing, just raise or lower the value in a cell, and log again. Same with fuel trims, change a cell, and log. Don't worry about what the table says the units are.

But it's still the same general process to tune - pull timing, scale injectors and MAF, set fuel targets, monitor AFR, trim fuel, add timing while monitoring AFR, EGT, and knock. If everything is clean, you're good to go! But it will be very tedious since the tables are setup so weird, so expect it to take a few days.