ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

throttle body options

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 AM
hooey_b

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
throttle body options

I'm currently working on my 08 G37S, and came across the daytona throttle body upgrade (provided by Z1 in GA). I was wondering if there were any other viable options that can be considered other than that? Similarly, I've seen some Maxima owners swap their throttle body out for that of a Frontier.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
You can send out a set of stockers to get ported but not sure the WHP gain is worth the $$$ been proven a bunch on times headers aren't worth the $$$ .
Old 10-17-2015, 01:25 PM
hooey_b

i may not have the $$, but for me, there's no replacement for quality...i was looking at the upgraded TBs, but it's 2mm larger and polished; not that great for ~$850 for a set. Just trying to see if there's any viable options OTHER than getting my OEM refinished
Old 10-17-2015, 02:26 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
You can send out a set of stockers to get ported but not sure the WHP gain is worth the $$$ been proven a bunch on times headers aren't worth the $$$ .

LOL man you Flip Flop all over the place about headers..
I have Proven headers are worth the money look at my Dyno 16whp gain without tune and 19whp gain with tune and 10+ in the mid-range..
I am the only one that I have seen that did a before and after dyno without tune..so saying it has been proven a bunch of times is just false!
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckie311:
conkus805 (10-19-2015), momog37 (11-05-2018)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:27 PM
hooey_b

had a moment of dyslexia for a min there lol. i was asking about throttle body options, NOT headers
Old 10-17-2015, 07:40 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
I got SYNOLIMIT 63mm TBs. He takes the stock TBs and bore them out from 58 to 63mm for a fraction of the cost Z1 sells their TBs. Could send your TBs first or send them after and get a core refund
The following users liked this post:
Synolimit (10-23-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM
hooey_b

Originally Posted by PongSanity
I got SYNOLIMIT 63mm TBs. He takes the stock TBs and bore them out from 58 to 63mm for a fraction of the cost Z1 sells their TBs. Could send your TBs first or send them after and get a core refund
Jeezus....I just looked it up and nearly had a heart attack it looked so damn good.

Questions:

What upgrades are you running currently power wise?

Can you best describe the difference you felt after?

Do you have to ease into it more? Or can you still stomp it like sharkiesha?

Did you have to up the diameter on your intake? I'm currently running stillen gen II's with z1 silicone MAF deletes...
Synolimit (10-23-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:17 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
No issues with fit on the stillen gen 3's for you with the bigger TB's?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:08 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
someone did a really long thread about this, he got his manifold bored, his throttle bodies, sanded where both manifolds meet. did not gain alotta power
Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
LOL man you Flip Flop all over the place about headers..
I have Proven headers are worth the money look at my Dyno 16whp gain without tune and 19whp gain with tune and 10+ in the mid-range..
I am the only one that I have seen that did a before and after dyno without tune..so saying it has been proven a bunch of times is just false!
I don't flip flop I'm still looking for info , yours pretty much sealed it for me that the whp they make isn't worth the 1k+ you have to spend. Your thread has before and after yes, but stock tune fully bolted VS ecutek tune fully bolted. I would have needed to see a bolted car ( like mine) with tune and then install headers and return. I'd bet your net gain would be below 10 whp, and to spend more the 1K for me is ridiculous. We all know it's a pain in the a## to test parts but it would have better to get a bolted ( minus headers) and tune run then install the headers and a retune run.

BTW your final run I only made 7 less whp and same the same wtrq as you I and I have a auto AWD( stock headers) Yes all dynos are different an the dyno I use is a "heartbreaker ". Any where else I would have made closer to 310.
Just for me it's not worn the hassle . Till some shows a bolted tuned car vs Headers and retune and make a gain worth the 1k I'll pass.
We all know how I feel about the cams for this car also:/
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
throttle body options

Originally Posted by hooey_b
Jeezus....I just looked it up and nearly had a heart attack it looked so damn good.

Questions:

What upgrades are you running currently power wise?

[Stillen Gen 3 cold air intakes, Synolimit TBs, Motordyne UIM, fast intentions hfc, ark grip exhaust]

Can you best describe the difference you felt after?

[I felt a power difference but in terms of numbers, I don't have. Ran more lean of course]

Do you have to ease into it more? Or can you still stomp it like sharkiesha?

[Ease more into it but a blast on WOT]

Did you have to up the diameter on your intake? I'm currently running stillen gen II's with z1 silicone MAF deletes...

Nope.
Originally Posted by jroyalty7
No issues with fit on the stillen gen 3's for you with the bigger TB's?

No issues. They are stock throttle bodies bored out for a better air flow. so for all fitment purposes, its still a "stock TB." And I got gen3 cai....
See quotes in red for answers...

Last edited by PongSanity; 10-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PongSanity:
hooey_b (10-19-2015), jroyalty7 (10-21-2015), Synolimit (10-23-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I don't flip flop I'm still looking for info , yours pretty much sealed it for me that the whp they make isn't worth the 1k+ you have to spend. Your thread has before and after yes, but stock tune fully bolted VS ecutek tune fully bolted. I would have needed to see a bolted car ( like mine) with tune and then install headers and return. I'd bet your net gain would be below 10 whp, and to spend more the 1K for me is ridiculous. We all know it's a pain in the a## to test parts but it would have better to get a bolted ( minus headers) and tune run then install the headers and a retune run.

BTW your final run I only made 7 less whp and same the same wtrq as you I and I have a auto AWD( stock headers) Yes all dynos are different an the dyno I use is a "heartbreaker ". Any where else I would have made closer to 310.
Just for me it's not worn the hassle . Till some shows a bolted tuned car vs Headers and retune and make a gain worth the 1k I'll pass.
We all know how I feel about the cams for this car also:/
yeah, but remember he has 4.08's which make the dyno numbers read much lower due to different load on the engine. if he had stock gearing he would be in the 330 whp range or a little higher. so your point is moot. chuckie is putting down some good power.
hooey_b (11-05-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by conkus805
yeah, but remember he has 4.08's which make the dyno numbers read much lower due to different load on the engine. if he had stock gearing he would be in the 330 whp range or a little higher. so your point is moot. chuckie is putting down some good power.
Really :/,

His 3.36 to 4.08 loss was 10WHP so if you'd add that back in( Taking the way you adding things) he's making 317 WHP. But this is all hear say, No numbers to back it, Just saying "Well with my 3.36 gears I would make X" . And 330WHP is a big Stretch.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
330 is really not that big of a stretch, z's running the same mods are in that neighborhood with stock gearing. also, the more power he is putting out the larger the loss in hp (on the dyno) from his gears. that being said, I do agree with you that headers are an expensive mod for the gains, but you can't deny that untuned chuckie gained 16whp from just headers. on our motor, that's pretty good.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
the power bands changes thats why the dyno number change..you would be paying about the same amount to do gears as you would headers yet gears give you 0whp they just give you better acceleration..
if i still had my 3.36 gears i would throw them in just to prove a point.

http://www.mpgenhance.com/differential.html

Power Gain & Fuel Economy

Installing higher rear end gear numbers will not technically increase your horsepower. In fact it will slightly decrease your horsepower and torque on a dyno test. However it will greatly increase your acceleration and allow your engine to operate at a higher rpm throughout your normal driving range. So you will be utilizing more of your engine’s horsepower and torque all the time. For example, typical LT1 and LS1 powered Camaros and Firebirds at the race track can reduce their quarter mile times by up to 2 or 3 tenths in the quarter mile by switching from 3.23 to 3.73 or 4.10 gears.
hooey_b (11-05-2015)

Quick Reply: throttle body options