ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

[Help] Dyno tuning questions... I'm a noob

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
[Help] Dyno tuning questions... I'm a noob

I just recently had my first tune done and I wasn't exactly disappointed but not blown away either, after getting home 7 hours later I wanted to get more information about my tune from the tuner just to understand everything that goes into the process what changed beyond the basic hp/tq dynograph I was given, Im inherently curious and like to know ins/outs of everything lol ... so I've been going back and forth with him regarding different questions regarding what was done however answers were sorta vague so I just came out and asked if I could see datalogs from before and after the tune, so I have a reference to go from, however I haven't heard back from him since and he was pretty responsive before that question. I don't think I was rude but wondering if in my naivety I went someplace I shouldn't have... any ideas? Is this info a tuner would have readily accessible from a tune you had 4 days ago and typically be willing to share? Or is that a no no to ask for that info? I could post a text copy of the convo with identifying info removed if that helps. Just not understanding whats up, maybe he got busy, I don't know? This is all new territory for me. This was an Uprev tune, I wanted ecutek but my rom wasn't cracked.
So:
-Do tuners keep datalogs after a dyno tune?
-What other info besides HP/TQ and AFR's (which I still have no idea what I was at versus what I am at now) should I have access to as an end user?
I appreciate anyone's guidance and experience in this area since this is the first tune I have ever done... thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
you paid for the tune... he should provide to you what you paid for..
tuners tend to keep old ones to use as baseline for the next tune with similar car and mods..
Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
They have everything, AF's Timing, knock, ECT. You can ask for a data file which will show all you WHP and WHTRQ at every RPM. The keep data files behind the scenes. Like stated above they use it to help them with other cars( Same make model and mods).

The Graph they gave you should have WHP, WHTRQ AF, at minimum you can ask for it to showing timing also.
The following users liked this post:
jroyalty7 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:25 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

See that's what I thought, so why the cold shoulder all of a sudden, I tried emailing him again today and no response. My radars up and I'm not exactly sure why but something feels wrong, not with my car, just with the lack of response. Gonna post up the dyno log again which only shows HP/TQ, and then the conversation with names etc... removed maybe you guys can help me out. I don't want to make something out of nothing but I'm to new to this to really pick out what the issue is...thank you for the responses and help guys!
Attached Thumbnails [Help] Dyno tuning questions... I'm a noob-20150713_233903_20150714000459397.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 01:44 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

*If I am not allowed to share this please mods notify me and I will delete

Thanks again I appreciate you walking me through but I'm more specifically looking for #'s like a data log before tune and after tune. Thanks again sir.

Ps I'll leave you alone then lol, unless I truly run into issues.

-------- Original message --------
Hey ****, we trim in all the timing and fuel tables to match your mods. *all the AFR targets are adjusted which helps it hit them sooner which gives the better throttle response and such.* Also the timing targets are adjusted for you running 93 octane as well. *let me know if you have any issues or anymore questions.
Thanks,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM wrote:

Hey,
Sorry I think I'm having trouble with my phones email app another email did not go through. Anyways I'll keep an eye on the situation, like I said it doesn't seem to be effecting the performance much, just feels a little more responsive from a dig when it's idling higher. Are you able to send me any other details about the tune like where we started at and ended up as far A/F ratio, any adjustments to shift points, timing etc... I just want to bw able to talk competently when people ask me about my tune. Thanks again man appreciate your time.

Date: 07/14/2015 6:53 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: Uprev tune question

Hey ****, *usually the slightly higher RPM is the ecu compensating for the fans or the AC being on.* If it is not fluctuating up and down in front of you I wouldn't really worry.* These ECU are pretty sensitive and if it is not hitting the target Idle RPM it will throw a code pretty quickly.* I would still give it a little longer to see if it gets better.* Glad you enjoyed the cheesesteaks...def one of the best places around.
Thanks,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM, wrote:

Hey,

Sorry if you're getting this as a second email my first response disappeared into the electronic abyss somewhere. Anyways, the car feels good, feels better when it idles at 650, the problem is the idle seems to pick either 500 or 650 and stays there the whole stop, then the following stop it may still be at 500 or it may be 650. Then the next stop it may still be 500 or back at 650. It's not fluctuating in front of my eyes per se but I didn't think it would dip below the 650, aside from temporarily if the a/c compressor or fans kick in, but in that case it should bounce back up to 650 right? I sat at a long stop light for a few minutes and it never left 500... car was warm and I had driven it for a bit. Then I pulled into the drive thru and it was sitting at 650, never dipped below? I made sure I'm still on map 1. I can grab a video if you need.

Thanks again

Date: 07/14/2015 3:33 PM (GMT-05:00)
To:
Subject: Re: Uprev tune question

Hey ****, the idle should be stock @ 650 RPM, you might notice more fluctuation up and down because your cooling fans will be turning on and off more with the lower cooling fan setting.* Also after a reflash it could take several hundred miles for the ECU to 100% relearn the idle.* How does the car feel otherwise??* Let me know.

Thanks,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Jroyalty7 wrote:

Hey ,

****with the 2012 g37x you tuned for me yesterday. I had a quick question regarding the rpm setting. I noticed today that my idle at times is still sitting at 5000 rpms instead of the 6500 rpms you set it to, other times it sits at the 6500 like I think it should. Noticed this in the drive thru and then at some stop lights? Any reason why it fluctuates? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I had no tune yet, but my car also idles 500 - 650, I mentioned it to the service while back and they said its fine.
The following users liked this post:
jroyalty7 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:39 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Mine idles 650 ish, up and down but no ones is steady. You can see it in the dash on when you are data logging.

I really woulnt worry about the idle as much as your TQ falls off a cliff @ like 4700 it should pull all the way! Like mine did, it drops a hair but not like yours :/
Attached Thumbnails [Help] Dyno tuning questions... I'm a noob-ecutek-302whp.240wtrq.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:07 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Yeah the torque was a major concern for me as it's not really steady by any means... it pulls decent at first but I could always feel this wave of lag then it pulls again which is confirmed on the dyno. Why this couldn't be ironed out I'm not sure...
He did finally reply after I emailed again and it's a much better explanation but still no logs... doesn't even address that part... hmmmphh I guess that answer is as good as it gets. Now I need to see how I can straighten out the tq curve... any suggestions?

Email:
Hey, *not sure what specific numbers you are looking for, but from and AFR standpoint we are targeting mid 12's on WOT from a fueling standpoint and from a timing standpoint we are running 2-3 degrees more timing at WOT as well.* At peak TQ it hits 23-24 degrees and tapers up to 30 degrees towards redline.* Other then that it is trimming MAF values which are arbitrary to what voltage the MAF range is at to get all of you fuel trims in line.* Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Thanks,

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM,wrote:

Hey,

Really trying not to be a bother but with the email issues I've been having and no response from you I'm not sure if you got my email yesterday. So I'm just reforwarding what I sent. You have to forgive my naivety when it comes to this stuff, just trying to get a better understanding of what changed from a numbers standpoint outside of just HP and TQ, I'm still learning about all this stuff lol so I want to dig in and understand the numbers, that's what I meant before about talking to people competently about my tune. Thanks again for your time and understanding. Do you not keep datalogs for tunes?