ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Review Uprev.vs. Ecutek

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
Ahh very interesting. Well I'll gladly test out another ECU. I'll get with a couple local G guys this Sunday at the car show and see if I could buy them a beer to let me test this theory. It makes sense to just be able to swap it over plus/minus a couple small details... Although, that would probably only fit for manual trans since the 5AT only came in 08 unless there is a work around for this too. Guess this'll go on my backburner until after the manual swap too :/.. What a pain.

You need to take it to a Nissan/Infiniti dealer or know someone who can program the VIN and NATS into the ECU. Not sure about the 5AT vs 7AT issue. I am hoping to eventually try this, but it is probably years away.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 AM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I own a 2012 G37xS Coupe and had the Dyno tune (with Dyna Pack) up here using UPREV's Osiris and the racing engineer that programmed my car says that it's very good software...especially the new version....and I'm a software guy myself. I have a company that tests software for bugs....and money..LOL! The guys that I used develop racing cars such as Nascar and dragsters so I think they know a little something...right? Mutual Admiration Society!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Since NASCAR and NHRA/AHRA prohibit computerized engine control, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Engine Control

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Since NASCAR and NHRA/AHRA prohibit computerized engine control, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Do you even understand what you just said? Engines have controls that do everything from fuel/air mixture, timing etc. If you don't understand these principles that you won't be able to take advantage of software that controls these parameters.

My tech has worked and continues to work on Mustang's, Subaru's, Camaro's, Corvette's, Infiniti G35's,37's and GTR's and lots of other stuff.....What more does it take to be an expert? Maybe an endorsement from you I guess?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:51 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

I don't post here a lot because I really don't like the fact that there is always someone ready to bully you when you do. I was over at Maxima.org for many years helping people solve real issues with their cars. Sometimes i just have to laugh at the ricer logic and math that I read here. Add that decal on the side of your car and it's another 10 HP and 20 TQs!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Every platform is different. Uprev used to be the only option for ours, which is why a lot of people still use it. EcuTek has much more support now for us and there are proven gains across the board. The fact that Ecutek lays out all the VVEL parameters is pretty much a winner in my book.

I see plenty of shops sticking with Uprev because it's what they've been using for years. People are just noticing that EcuTek is much superior, so I'm certain that they'll come around eventually.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Not my belief at all and I don't believe that the gains are that different that the gains that you get with UPREV. Our experience has been very positive. Lots of support and regular updates....I would be careful if I were you making claims about one product to be much superior to another. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses. It's like saying Google Chrome is superior to IE ....etc.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:10 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Honestly, at this point it's pretty much fact. I have both Uprev and EcuTek and I have dyno sheets that show the difference in power made. There's so many more parameters you can adjust in EcuTek along with extra features that Uprev doesn't have support for. It was literally a night and day difference in not just the power, but also the responsiveness.

The only reason I could see someone sticking with Uprev is if they are NA and have no local EcuTek support.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Honestly, how many G37 Coupe owners let alone from when they changed it to a 7 gear setup with X and S or IPL owners have Turbos or Superchargers? I'd also like to know how many have issues and blown engines vs reliability. Besides so many cities in North America these days have such bad roads that you can't even drive normally. I'm sorry but if you want a FI car buy one that's already FI otherwise you're looking at high costs and possible trouble. My tech has both ECUTEK and UPREV and he prefers UPREV. I would consider a supercharger but I have yet to hear back from anyone that says that it was: easy, reliable, worth the effort etc. I wonder how many here would consider buying the new Q60 with the 400HP option. This should be interesting to see where the software developers go with those.

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-13-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

There's plenty of people running the Stillen supercharger setup, including me. The reason why they all have issues is actually BECAUSE Of Uprev. You cannot tune the kit by MAFs safely, which is the only option for Uprev. This leaves you with a heatsoaked engine that will eventually blow a piston.

EcuTek on the other hand has the capability to tune via SD. It's probably the only reason why my car has been running with no issues for 2 years. Our roads are bad, but not as bad as you think they are fyi.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:41 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

milkcow are you on FB? I would like to see you car and setup under the hood. You can find me on FB under Allan Sonac. If you come up to Montreal you'll probably see roads as bad or worse than New Jersey! I have a place down in Florida in Cape Coral and the roads there are amazing. I'm looking at getting a car soon as my Florida ride. Some of the cars I'm considering are: Audi S6, Mercedes S class Coupe....Not sure about the new 400 HP Q50 or Q60...let's see how it does first. I like looking at the new BMW's like the M2 and M4 but I wouldn't own one....seen too many up here with problems. Audi 2 liter turbos are always having issues with oil consumption too. A supercharged G with a proper setup would be an awesome ride I'm sure!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:44 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

It's all about the stance!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Sure, I'll send you a message. We are actually finishing a project on my G37, so I was about to post pics anyways. I've actually been to Montreal many times and yeah I understand where you are coming from. NYC roads are not the greatest, but people tend to exaggerate. I'd totally be down for a convertible if I ever lived in FL.

As for future cars, it really depends on goals. There's awesome power to be made with little effort for the 335 and up models. Maintenance and reliability just isn't there though, so I know what you mean. I don't expect much from the new red sport Q50/Q60 for at least a few years. Not really worth buying into first year production, especially when the body style change is around the corner as well.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by xorbitman
Do you even understand what you just said? Engines have controls that do everything from fuel/air mixture, timing etc. If you don't understand these principles that you won't be able to take advantage of software that controls these parameters.

My tech has worked and continues to work on Mustang's, Subaru's, Camaro's, Corvette's, Infiniti G35's,37's and GTR's and lots of other stuff.....What more does it take to be an expert? Maybe an endorsement from you I guess?
Hell yes I understood, that's why I wrote it. And I repeat, none of the sanctioning bodies you listed allow computerized engine control. Your guy can't use his electronics tuning skills on those cars. Thus, not a ringing endorsement for lauding his ECU tuning skills.

The other list you provided in response are much more apropos to the discussion of your mechanic's ECU tuning kung fu.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 AM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Maybe not computerized engine control for those two racing series however like I said before, he's done a lot of other cars including G's....but he knows other stuff and owns the dyno...

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-18-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Review Uprev.vs. Ecutek