ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Uprev Cipher Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation Uprev Cipher Cable

Dynosty just called me back and said Uprev doesn't have "something" for my VIN so I have to do something with a Cipher Cable before I can bring it in for a tune. I am getting with people local in my club, but do any of you know what they are talking about? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:16 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Dynosty just called me back and said Uprev doesn't have "something" for my VIN so I have to do something with a Cipher Cable before I can bring it in for a tune. I am getting with people local in my club, but do any of you know what they are talking about? Thanks in advance!
Call them back and ask them to elaborate. Dynosty is listed as an official Uprev tuner. I don't know why they wouldn't have this cable available.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
Call them back and ask them to elaborate. Is that tuner an actual Uprev tuner? If so, they have a Cipher cable. If not, then I don't know what they're saying. Uprev sells a tuner package (Osiris Tuner) for $700 which comes with the cable, and also gives a professional tuner all the tools they need to tune your car.

Osiris standard is meant to have Uprev do the tuning, and they email you back adjustments after you collect data for them.

Either option requires the cable though...so I am left scratching my head. I could be 100% wrong, as I don't know anything about tuning. I am just regurgitating what I've read.

Ask your tuner if they are an Uprev tuner, or just a tuner. If they are Uprev, I'm not sure why they would ask you for the cable, they should have one.
Sorry, was in a rush as I thought I had a meeting to go to. I should have elaborated. First, yes, Dynosty is a master tuner for both Uprev and EcuTek.

I am taking my car to them to get a tune once I finish my mods. However, they said they needed my VIN to ensure Uprev had some sort of something in the system. Kind of like each VIN has to be put in and then they can tune it or something. They checked the system and my VIN wasn't in there, so I will need a cipher cable to do something beforehand...I will upload something to them, and then they send that to Uprev, get what they need, and then I can take my car there to get it tuned.

But I don't have a cable and it's going to cost $200+ to buy one from them so I was just going to ask my IMIN club if anyone has one. But I wanted to make sure I understood what it was and whether anyone on here had used it before.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
So sounds right to my I have Osiris and can only flash tunes with my cable I would have to upgrade it to be able to tune. But food for thought "IF" they are not an UPREV tuner I wouldn't let them tune my car. :/

Oh in that case they need to make sure they have a ROM file for your car. Send them your VIN and they send it UPREV to get your stock ROM flash and base tune set up.
The following users liked this post:
RavensMinded00 (03-01-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Sorry, was in a rush as I thought I had a meeting to go to. I should have elaborated. First, yes, Dynosty is a master tuner for both Uprev and EcuTek.

I am taking my car to them to get a tune once I finish my mods. However, they said they needed my VIN to ensure Uprev had some sort of something in the system. Kind of like each VIN has to be put in and then they can tune it or something. They checked the system and my VIN wasn't in there, so I will need a cipher cable to do something beforehand...I will upload something to them, and then they send that to Uprev, get what they need, and then I can take my car there to get it tuned.

But I don't have a cable and it's going to cost $200+ to buy one from them so I was just going to ask my IMIN club if anyone has one. But I wanted to make sure I understood what it was and whether anyone on here had used it before.
I see...you're not very close to them such that they can grab what they need on like Monday, send it to Uprev, and have it back before your tune. When you drive down there, you're only doing it once right? Also, having the cable alone isn't enough is it? Don't you need some form of software to interact with your car to get them what they need?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Oh in that case they need to make sure they have a ROM file for your car. Send them your VIN and they send it UPREV to get your stock ROM flash and base tune set up.
Yes, this is it! They need my ROM flash and all that jazz.

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
I see...you're not very close to them such that they can grab what they need on like Monday, send it to Uprev, and have it back before your tune. When you drive down there, you're only doing it once right? Also, having the cable alone isn't enough is it? Don't you need some form of software to interact with your car to get them what they need?
You are right on target man! I live 2 hours away and I don't want to drive down there and then do it all over again to get my tune. However, they said if I can get the cable, they will walk me through the rest. So I am not sure if the software is something I can download...?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Magowin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah sounds similar to my issue when I went to get tuned via ECU-Tek 2 weeks ago the software didn't recognize my ECU so they had to download it and email it off to them to crack then send him an update. What they did in my case is send the tuner the beta software with the newest features so because of that I have to wait till it's officially out before I can read my tune file and connect to my car. My tuner said official release should be out in couple of weeks I hope.