D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Looking into Impact Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking into Impact Wrenches

I have been looking into some impact wrenches to make some DIY tasks easier. Any thoughts on the cordless Ryobi Impact wrench as a beginner? Will it get the job done for bolt on mods?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'd consider one of these 2.5 hp compressors and get an air impact, plus you can use the compressor for countless other projects. Don't get the 2hp models though, they won't run an air impact for long.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-69091.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-69092.html

You can get these for quite a bit less w/ monthly coupons too!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I have an 18 volt dewalt, and it works pretty good depending on how tight the bolt is. It didn't have enough juice to get the lower front shock through bolt.

I tend to just grab a 1/2" ratchet over the battery impact, unless it's for something like lag bolts on decking or something like that.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'd consider one of these 2.5 hp compressors and get an air impact, plus you can use the compressor for countless other projects. Don't get the 2hp models though, they won't run an air impact for long.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-69091.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-69092.html

You can get these for quite a bit less w/ monthly coupons too!
i have a 135 psi compressor actually you think I’m better off just getting an impact wrench to connect to it than getting a cordless one?

this is the compressor I have https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8G...0816/302862402

Last edited by DollHouz; 07-29-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:33 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I have an 18 volt dewalt, and it works pretty good depending on how tight the bolt is. It didn't have enough juice to get the lower front shock through bolt.

I tend to just grab a 1/2" ratchet over the battery impact, unless it's for something like lag bolts on decking or something like that.
I have been using wrenches but watched as my HFC’s were being installed and it seemed the impact wrench got the tedious bolts so easily
Old 07-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by DollHouz

I have been using wrenches but watched as my HFC’s were being installed and it seemed the impact wrench got the tedious bolts so easily
Air or electric? I have a 2 pound compressor, and it doesn't have enough juice to run impact tools, so I've never gotten any. Air tools are definitely going to have more power than cordless.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Air or electric? I have a 2 pound compressor, and it doesn't have enough juice to run impact tools, so I've never gotten any. Air tools are definitely going to have more power than cordless.
he used cordless (Milwaukee but I’m not sure I’m gonna make enough use to justify spending 300+)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I have been looking into some impact wrenches to make some DIY tasks easier. Any thoughts on the cordless Ryobi Impact wrench as a beginner? Will it get the job done for bolt on mods?
I have both the older Ryobi electric impact wrench and the newer one...I used the old one for about 4 years and never had a problem doing anything on this car but it did struggle a tiny bit sometimes and it used to get hot...I then picked up the newer one cause it it had a higher torque rating and I liked that it was smaller and had more speeds... I've been using the newer one for almost 4 years now and its still going strong and I do a lot of work with it... I just keep the old one around as a back up now but whenever I pick up the old one now it seems gigantic by comparison...the highest torque bolt on the car I've undone was something like 190 ft lbs or so and I've also dealt with axle nuts and numerous frozen corroded bolts on this car...the little Ryobi took care of them like it was nothing...I think the only thing I haven't tackled is the crank pulley and kinda suspect it will be able to take it off although it shouldn't be able to...basically this thing has really exceeded my expectations every time...

I got these electric impact before I had a garage where I could set up an air system and always figured I'd upgrade cause back then people were always on a about how air is always much better, but now I don't see a point as there isn't job that I've tackled that its come up short on....there are probably better ones out there, but I mostly buy the Ryobi tools because I have invested in several batteries and they have never let me down for anything I could possible do as a home DIY'er...I'd recommend that you buy whatever brand of electric that you want to buy the batteries for or if you already have the batteries for other tools buy one from that brand as they mostly seem pretty similar....the only electric one I know that has a super high torque rating is one Dewalt one that can do something like 900ft lbs that may be different

oh and I use the 4ah batteries and have never run out of juice on a job on fully charged battery even after wailing on it
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:50 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by Hashim
I have both the older Ryobi electric impact wrench and the newer one...I used the old one for about 4 years and never had a problem doing anything on this car but it did struggle a tiny bit sometimes and it used to get hot...I then picked up the newer one cause it it had a higher torque rating and I liked that it was smaller and had more speeds... I've been using the newer one for almost 4 years now and its still going strong and I do a lot of work with it... I just keep the old one around as a back up now but whenever I pick up the old one now it seems gigantic by comparison...the highest torque bolt on the car I've undone was something like 190 ft lbs or so and I've also dealt with axle nuts and numerous frozen corroded bolts on this car...the little Ryobi took care of them like it was nothing...I think the only thing I haven't tackled is the crank pulley and kinda suspect it will be able to take it off although it shouldn't be able to...basically this thing has really exceeded my expectations every time...

I got these electric impact before I had a garage where I could set up an air system and always figured I'd upgrade cause back then people were always on a about how air is always much better, but now I don't see a point as there isn't job that I've tackled that its come up short on....there are probably better ones out there, but I mostly buy the Ryobi tools because I have invested in several batteries and they have never let me down for anything I could possible do as a home DIY'er...I'd recommend that you buy whatever brand of electric that you want to buy the batteries for or if you already have the batteries for other tools buy one from that brand as they mostly seem pretty similar....the only electric one I know that has a super high torque rating is one Dewalt one that can do something like 900ft lbs that may be different

oh and I use the 4ah batteries and have never run out of juice on a job on fully charged battery even after wailing on it
Thank you for the insight I have the makita brushless setup for my home use drill but i can always grab some ryobi batteries from work (we have a 6 bay charger filled with batteries and all tools went missing so 1 or 2 batteries won't be missed) I think ill pull the trigger on it, good price even if I only get a few big jobs out of it.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I've been working on all sorts of engine from the bottom of the planet to the side of the road and the 18v Dewalt dc823 has been bar-none the best use of money for impacts in the cordless area. Light, compact, cheap batteries, long life from the batteries, and good enough for most of the jobs. If it has issues with something it's because you should break loose the nut/bolt by hand or hit it with an air impact (in which case I'm an Ingersoll Rand guy). For smaller things I love my Makita 10.8 Volt 2 piece Compact Drill Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit. Between those four tools and your hand tools (plus the occasional breaker bar) you should be able to do 99% of any job a shop can do.

That is of course all opinionated and I understand as a mechanic I find the job easier then some might because I do it for a living. Also for the record I typically hate Dewalt tools, but damn has that impact just been the best thing on the planet.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by zer099
I've been working on all sorts of engine from the bottom of the planet to the side of the road and the 18v Dewalt dc823 has been bar-none the best use of money for impacts in the cordless area. Light, compact, cheap batteries, long life from the batteries, and good enough for most of the jobs. If it has issues with something it's because you should break loose the nut/bolt by hand or hit it with an air impact (in which case I'm an Ingersoll Rand guy). For smaller things I love my Makita 10.8 Volt 2 piece Compact Drill Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit. Between those four tools and your hand tools (plus the occasional breaker bar) you should be able to do 99% of any job a shop can do.

That is of course all opinionated and I understand as a mechanic I find the job easier then some might because I do it for a living. Also for the record I typically hate Dewalt tools, but damn has that impact just been the best thing on the planet.
Isn't that dewalt model the 3/8" drive? I know that may not mean too much but that is compact. I'm just trying to find some bang for my buck for a beginning driveway DIY'er. I know hand tools work great but I feel an impact wrench would be a good investment and wont hurt to have.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

I feel this deal is nice that it comes with battery and charger, also its actually available in my local store.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...1830/206157712
Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I feel this deal is nice that it comes with battery and charger, also its actually available in my local store.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...1830/206157712
thats one one i'm using currently...

you can buy it without the battery too and its super cheap ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P261/205885687
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by Hashim
thats one one i'm using currently...

you can buy it without the battery too and its super cheap ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P261/205885687
Let me check the batteries here at work to see if they are the compact because i was just reading up and saw that with the compact batteries it doesn't run as well plus wont hurt to have my own charger.

EDIT: Yup all compact think I'm better off grabbing a kit
Old 07-30-2018, 12:02 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Isn't that dewalt model the 3/8" drive? I know that may not mean too much but that is compact. I'm just trying to find some bang for my buck for a beginning driveway DIY'er. I know hand tools work great but I feel an impact wrench would be a good investment and wont hurt to have.
It is, the dc820 is the 1/2" bigger brother, or just use a 3/8" -> 1/2" adapter. I missed you were looking for a 1/2" impact; apologies.

Quick Reply: Looking into Impact Wrenches