D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

MotorvateDIY Video Requests?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Here's another: removing the windshield cowling to eliminate creaks and squeaks
Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Clutch bleed
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 319 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
There's one bit of maintenance i think most people forget about: lubricating locks, hinges, seals. Cleaning and lubricating window/moonroof tracks
Great idea! I will add it to the list and shoot it in the spring.

What do you use to lube the tracks?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:42 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
Here's another: removing the windshield cowling to eliminate creaks and squeaks
Another good idea, and I will add it to the list.

I assume the best "proper fix" it to apply felt or moleskin tape to the bottom of the plastic cowl?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Clutch bleed
Shot in August and in the post-production queue
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY
Another good idea, and I will add it to the list.

I assume the best "proper fix" it to apply felt or moleskin tape to the bottom of the plastic cowl?
That's the invisible fix.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Great idea! I will add it to the list and shoot it in the spring.

What do you use to lube the tracks?
The answer to pretty much everything with mixed metal/plastic parts is silicone lube. CRC silicone spray is oderless. You can also use syl glide on places you want something more substantial, but the spray is convenient.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Front bumper removal... I second that request. However, for you to do this there probably has to be a valid reason. I bet it would get the most views.

How about shifter spring removal and replacement? Not a common mod, but it's still a real thing. Can't recall off the top of my head the company that makes these things. No wait... MTEC

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...ng-p-7355.html

You could also make a STS video. Frank, that's the mod you didn't know how awesome it is without the benefit of hindsight.

Looking forward to your front LED turn signal video.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:33 AM
NoahZ
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Sport front and rear Akebono brake caliper rebuild.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Clutch bleed
Here it is:
The following users liked this post:
NoahZ (01-16-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Thanks for DIY video ideas, please keep them coming!

Hmmm... Front bumper removal might be possible as I am thinking of assembling an engine oil cooler. It's in the maybe pile.

MTEC Shifter springs / STS: not likely. Having a quick look, this would be about $400 Canadian and that is too much cost for too little benefit. I find the factory shifter (and clutch!) just fine.

The Diode Dynamics yellow LED turn signal is for the rear, not the front. The schedule shows an April release, but I could switch it with the 'OEM splash guard install video" and have it out by end of February. Let me know which you would like first.

Please keep in mind, since I am in Canada, everything cost about 35% MORE plus shipping, broker fees, and maybe duties. The "bang for the buck" does factor in, as my budget is going to be tighter for 2017.

Again, thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
MTEC Shifter springs / STS: not likely.
The MTEC springs don't seems all that well received. And when people do like them, it reads like they're talking themselves into something. But I was thinking since they're so inexpensive and relatively easy, it could be an easy DIY video.

I find the factory shifter (and clutch!) just fine.
I'm sorry, but that's just silly, Frank. Things are supposed to be subjective, but the factory clutch pedal just sucks, and any aftermarket STS for this car is vastly better than stock. If you were ever on this side of the lake, I'd happily let you find out for yourself. In fact, given your penchant for videos, a good one would be to record the look on your face. I'll even hold the camera.

The Diode Dynamics yellow LED turn signal is for the rear, not the front.
LED for the rear turns? Not sure why you would bother with that when Diode Dynamics Tail-as-Turn module is available PnP now for the Sedan.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
LOL. I'm sorry, but no, Frank. I know some things are supposed to be subjective, but the factory clutch pedal sucks, and any aftermarket STS for this car is 10x better than stock. If you were ever on this side of the lake, I'd happily let you find out for yourself. In fact, given your penchant for videos, a good one would be to record the look on your face. I'll even hold the camera.

LED for the rear turns? Not sure why you would bother with that when Diode Dynamics Tail-as-Turn module is available PnP now for the Sedan.
STS/Clutch: LOL, maybe in the summer at the next meet.

I wanted the G37 to have yellow turn signals at the back and now I do.
Anyways, I should get back to editing.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
The MTEC springs don't seems all that well received. And when people do like them, it reads like they're talking themselves into something. But I was thinking since they're so inexpensive and relatively easy, it could be an easy DIY video.
The MTEC springs are ridiculously easy to install with the right size wrench. They're also cheap. But, IMO, they don't make much difference. Do it when you change your fluid if you're so inclined.

LOL. I'm sorry, but no, Frank. I know some things are supposed to be subjective, but the factory clutch pedal sucks, and any aftermarket STS for this car is 10x better than stock.
Absolutely.

I've had a STS on almost every MT car I've had over the last 20 years and they were all awesome. I don't know why I waited so long on the G, thinking the OE 'STS' was fine. It isn't. It sucks in comparison to any aftermarket STS.

Here it is
Thanks

Unfortunately, this confirms pretty much what I expected: I need a second person. Sadly, I don't have a single car enthusiast friend that I can think of that wants to hang out and pump the clutch (IDK anyone who can even drive MT) to bleed the system properly.

Guess this is something I just have to sub out. I had this done at 20K for I think, $50, with my own fluid--Motul RBF600.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:17 PM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

All you need is someone who can push a pedal when you ask them. There is no need to know how to drive stick, my wife and 8 year old daughter have helped me in the past.