D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Painted headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TruLux
I was able to get the headlights off but that damn "main headlight power connector" was a bitch to slip off. Now it's time to put them in the oven!
good luck trulux! I unfortunately don't have the courage to do this myself nor the money to pay someone who is a professional to do it
Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 AM
TruLux

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like I have to take the entire projector off in order to remove the shroud?

That means I'm also gonna have to re-aim the lights and all that? Nice... would have been easier to just pay for the damn thing.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by TruLux
It looks like I have to take the entire projector off in order to remove the shroud?

That means I'm also gonna have to re-aim the lights and all that? Nice... would have been easier to just pay for the damn thing.
I told you (in post #6) that it's a PITA and something I'd rather not do again, hopefully when you've got them all put back together and look back at your handiwork it'll seem like it was a good idea
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Jrwabw

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
you need to scuff them atleast I am a painter and i promise you after a year or 2 they will start bubbling and flaking. especially if your going with some POS spray paint. or duplicolor lol these arent hondas go to your local auto paint supply and get some PPG and ask for a gray scotchbrite pad too so you can scuff it.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM
SlateBlueG
Premier Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Good thread. Between this one and a similar one on the 6MT forum I took the plunge. Pretty sure I cussed more on this mod then others. To simplify from OP's DIY, leave the bulbs in. 200 degrees for 6-8 mins is nothing. They work fine. Your choice. Yep, the fender screw is a pain. Yep, you'll probably break stuff. Was it worth it? Yeah, looks good.

Add-on: Seal wasn't good on left light headlight...had some condensation inside after extended rain. Sooooo.....had a do-over this past weekend on both lights. Used OCI Butyl Rubber Glue that I ordered on the Retrofit Source website. Freakin' superb stuff that fills in all the gaps along the headlight channel seam. Insert Butyl strand along channel around headlights and then cut the end from the spool. Rough fit front lens back to the housing, stick in oven and once pliable then use a clamp or pliers along the channel edges to cinch the two pieces together tightly ensuring that screw holes align. Trim off excess Butyl that squeezes out. Put the screws back in along the channel and finish the rest of the reassembly. I emphasize here again that removing the Ballast and the bulbs to bake is NOT necessary but that's up to you all.

Last edited by SlateBlueG; 12-31-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added Information
Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 AM
got_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Phimphasone

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tackled this projected over the weekend and its actually surprisingly easy, I did NOT remove any of the wireing harness, just removed the headlight from the car and baked them in the oven at 200 degrees for 8 mins multiple times with no damage to them or anything at all!

Came out perfect!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jub5ycuj2chpnpz/IMG_0764.JPG

We also did the same thing with my buddies Nismo 370Z
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx5nunzk4r...37877168_n.jpg

Thanks again for the DIY!!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM
brianxly

good thing i have a 3rd headlight to practice this on and would it be okay if i restored the inside of my lens?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM
vietg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a million for this!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Ali G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are sweet. I def want to try something like the black soon.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:49 PM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

lens cleaner

hey op, did you clean the inside part of the lens? if you did what did you use? thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Must have missed the thousand times I posted that this isn't my DIY and I just reposted someone else's and I can't answer any questions about anything. So I'll go ahead and post it here again.

This isn't my DIY. I'm just reposting it from someone else. I didn't do this and know little about it. I can't answer any questions about it. But maybe some of our other helpful knowledgeable members can help.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Carfanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to do this soon but no oven lol "too scared " going to do this with heat gun a fellow local member did it with a heat gun and his turned on excellent .

I'm just curious my headlights have AFS do i have to remove the AFS motor if i were doing this in the oven ?

I'm just scared but i have the experience in taking things apart so feel confident i just really dont want to end up buying new light because of a dumb mistake thats all i have a coupe
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM
calijoker
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carfanatic
I'm going to do this soon but no oven lol "too scared " going to do this with heat gun a fellow local member did it with a heat gun and his turned on excellent .

I'm just curious my headlights have AFS do i have to remove the AFS motor if i were doing this in the oven ?

I'm just scared but i have the experience in taking things apart so feel confident i just really dont want to end up buying new light because of a dumb mistake thats all i have a coupe
No, you do not need to take the afs motor off. I have afs on my G and it didn't hurt it at all. Just be careful not to be forcing the projector left and right alot because it will get loose. Afs will still function but it won't be stiff in the housing lol idk if I'm making sense
Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 AM
z_spec

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do I have to use a oven or can I use a heat gun and pry?
The following users liked this post:
bigmike35nj (03-24-2016)

Quick Reply: DIY: Painted headlights