DIY Whiteline Differential bushings - Page 12 - MyG37

D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Whiteline Differential bushings

Old 10-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #166
Scarab Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by defektion View Post
The repair is difficult but not impossible for a DIY'er. Just be prepared and have tools handy for different situations and what helped me through the process was before the job, I ensured I was able to loosen my exhaust bolts. If they're in 'ok' condition but their seized up, have an impact handy to break them loose.

I listed a number of thoughts on the repair on the post above yours. Ask me questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
I appreciate the offer, but looks like I got a stay of execution. Yesterday I found out that this repair is covered under my extended warranty, so I will let the stealership take care of it. Unfortunately the stealership won't install non-OEM bushings, so I will have to tackle this job eventually. I need to make a PDF of these directions so I will have them at the ready when that time eventually comes.
Scarab Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #167
Rochester
Lifetime Premier Member

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab Armor View Post
I appreciate the offer, but looks like I got a stay of execution. Yesterday I found out that this repair is covered under my extended warranty, so I will let the stealership take care of it. Unfortunately the stealership won't install non-OEM bushings, so I will have to tackle this job eventually. I need to make a PDF of these directions so I will have them at the ready when that time eventually comes.
Definitely take them up on that. Probably last you the remainder of time you have with the car.

I had mine done at 35K miles, and there wasn't even a problem (yet). But it seemed like a good thing to do while the diff was down.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #168
Scarab Armor

Sooo...my extended warranty denied my claim. My warranty covers bushings, but it does not cover suspension components. Being that the differential bushing is in the subframe (and Infiniti replaces the entire subframe rather than just the bushing) it is considered to be a suspension component. Looks like I will be taking on this challenge after all.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #169
MotorvateDIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab Armor View Post
Sooo...my extended warranty denied my claim. My warranty covers bushings, but it does not cover suspension components. Being that the differential bushing is in the subframe (and Infiniti replaces the entire subframe rather than just the bushing) it is considered to be a suspension component. Looks like I will be taking on this challenge after all.
Can you wait about 2 weeks before spending any money on this?
We have a video in post production that shows how to fix the diff bushing for $20 in 20 minutes. Testing over the last month has been positive.
MotorvateDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #170
defektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY View Post
We have a video in post production that shows how to fix the diff bushing for $20 in 20 minutes. Testing over the last month has been positive.
Where were you a few weeks ago lol. I'm waiting to see your solution!

Update: I quickly Google'd differential bushing fixes for $20 bucks and I turned up someone's solution to inject "Windo-Weld" into the bushing. Is this your solution?
defektion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #171
Scarab Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY View Post
Most definitely! Please let us know when the video is available.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #172
ezbme

So I have called a few places. One being Z1. They recommend their bushing as opposed to whiteline (not too much of a surprise). Supposedly handles the heat better.

I called this transmission place that claimed that Poly would melt in that application and they have seen a lot of poly melt. I don't even know if there is another option between solid and Poly bushings.

I have been asking for a recommendation for a so-cal shop to replace the bushings. I have seen a lot of people on here have had it done. A lot of other cars seem to have two rear bushings, I don't know why ours only got one.
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #173
Rochester
Lifetime Premier Member

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,890 Posts
Don't know why the poly would melt in this application. But if that's a concern and you buy into Z1's argument, then get Z1's bushing kit. I don't think there's any wrong choice here.

It's possible the one shop you called isn't familiar with swapping these in the Z/G, or they know the swap is a PITA and would rather not do it. But that's just one place... keep searching. Where you live, you've got all of LA there to choose from.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #174
ezbme

I am 70 miles from LA. I just have to keep looking. The one place said that they are close to the exhaust and that is why they would melt. I don't know why Rubber wouldn't melt, but Poly would. From what I have seen, a lot of people have done this change and not complained about melting.

A mechanic that I trust told me 380 for the job, will have him do the diff fluid at the same time. Might even have him flush the brake fluid with the stuff I have.

Last edited by ezbme; 11-13-2017 at 04:03 PM.
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote