MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications-11/)
-   -   DIY: Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/227111-steering-wheel-trim-removal-replacement-diy.html)

bjmsam 09-16-2013 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by chanu (Post 3678750)
The G35 driver link many people have got it replaced under warranty, so the trim be replaced under warranty ? and if so what should i tell the dealership?

That's what I did in late July with 59k miles on the odometer. Here's what it says on the invoice:

CUST STATES STEERING WHEEL TRIM MATERIAL PEELING OFF.
FOUND STEERING WHEEL LID DISTORTED
REPLACED STEERING WHEEL LID
PARTS: LID-STEERING WHEEL, R-48463-JK07A - $9.77
LABOR: .6 HOURS - $64.71
The dealer also replaced the center console (chrome trim peeling off around the button) and reprogrammed the transmission (ECM & TCM per TSB), Excellent service.

doublea88 01-20-2014 03:02 AM

I have a small problem when i tried changing my steering wheel trim. I stripped the torx screw when i first started and couldnt even get it off. Any help will be appreciated.

Jreal24 03-01-2014 01:41 AM

Just ordered mine. Got so tired of looking at the scratches. Looking forward to changing it out. thanks.

desertmike680 04-19-2014 05:37 PM

So considering this DIY, arent there a few steps that are missing? Like how the airbag assembly and steering wheel actually comes off? I just ordered my bezel so I would love to know so I dont F it up.

Thanks!

UCLAG37 04-27-2014 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by desertmike680 (Post 3768012)
So considering this DIY, arent there a few steps that are missing? Like how the airbag assembly and steering wheel actually comes off? I just ordered my bezel so I would love to know so I dont F it up.

Thanks!

For removing the airbag and steering wheel, follow the link in the first post for removing the steering wheel. I finally changed the bezel and it was actually pretty easy if you have all the right tools and take your time.

One tip I have is to use a Sharpie and mark the large nut holding the steering wheel so you know where to re-torque the nut to during the re-installation. You don't need to do this but in case you are a stickler for perfection and you don't have a torque wrench.

desertmike680 05-02-2014 05:42 PM

Awesome thanks. I completed the DIY, but now my airbag light is flashing. I took the air bag back off, checked all connections and everything looks good. Would this have anything to do with the clock spring? Any input would definitely help!

desertmike680 05-03-2014 12:01 PM

Yeah I figured it out. Resetting the flashing airbag light is pretty damn easy. Also, before you put the steering wheel back together, make sure the wheel is perfectly aligned in response to the front wheels position. I ended up pulling the steering wheel off multiple times in order to get it set accordingly. Even though its an easy DIY, its still annoying having to pull the entire assembly apart consistently. But regardless, I finally got everything lined up and the new bezel looks great.

handleandrew 05-04-2014 04:55 PM

A+ man!!! thanks so much for the write up. I wouldn't have been able to do this without it!

As for the above post and lining up the wheel, there is a dash/mark/indicator on the wheel and on the steering bolt. all you have to do is line up the marks and it'll be straight every time.

desertmike680 05-05-2014 01:20 AM

Oh really? Crap, I must have over looked that! Thanks I'll keep that in mind for next time!

desertmike680 05-06-2014 08:19 PM

The other thing I forgot to mention: The Torx bit is TT37.

Carfreak70852 05-07-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by handleandrew (Post 3774350)
A+ man!!! thanks so much for the write up. I wouldn't have been able to do this without it!

As for the above post and lining up the wheel, there is a dash/mark/indicator on the wheel and on the steering bolt. all you have to do is line up the marks and it'll be straight every time.

Unless you get a car like mine where they decided to have a line that was completely crooked. Took my best guess and it was 1 "tooth" off. No big deal, just pulled it off and moved it one. Should have taken a picture to show how off it was. It was comical.

BTW Great DIY.

gaithermr 05-13-2014 03:46 PM

Is this part number still valid? Plugging it in at orderinfinitparts.com gives me a price of $75.02 which seems way off based on the other prices in this thread. I have the same scratched up trim piece and would like to replace it if possible.

UCLAG37 05-13-2014 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by gaithermr (Post 3777941)
Is this part number still valid? Plugging it in at orderinfinitparts.com gives me a price of $75.02 which seems way off based on the other prices in this thread. I have the same scratched up trim piece and would like to replace it if possible.

It looks like the price for this part from Nissan/Infiniti went through the roof! I bought the steering wheel trim from an Infiniti dealership on Ebay in late March for $25.90. Now that same dealership is selling the same part for $89.95!

cecrops 05-13-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gaithermr (Post 3777941)

Wow :eek3: that's insane markup, similar to the IPL bumpers when they realized there was a demand.. I'm so glad I didn't hesitate to do this. I could not believe it when you posted it but I just verified it's $75 for the same trim I ordered 2 months ago for $9..

Order Status Details Order Date: 3/23/14 <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" border="0" height="66" width="239"><tbody><tr><td class="tabletext" align="left">OEM Catalog
LID-STEERING WH
</td><td class="tabletext" align="center" valign="top">
</td><td class="tabletext" align="right" valign="top">$8.38</td></tr></tbody></table>

gaithermr 05-14-2014 11:44 AM

Yikes at that price increase! Anyway, thanks for verifying that for me.