D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Smoked/Tinted tail lights w/ reverse cutout

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Smoked/Tinted tail lights w/ reverse cutout

This is a quick write up on how to tint/smoke your tail lights yourself.

Tools Needed
Flat head scewdriver
Socket wrench
masking tape
800-1000 gritt sand paper
2000 gritt wet sanding paper
Duplicolor VHT Night Shades Tail Light Tint
Your choice of clear coat
Rubbing compound
Finishing polish

Work time: approx. 2 hours (not including drying and curing time)

Start off by opening the trunk and removing the lining to access the tail lights. I just followed the steps listed in this DIY here[/url]. Next remove the lights and all the wiring harness. Once you have the lights out clean them thoroughly. I use denatured alcohol to make sure the are completly clean and dry.

Next tape off the cut out for the reverse light using masking tape and an exacto knife.

Next sand the lights using an 800-1000 gritt sandpaper. This insures that there is a rought surface for the paint to stick to so it won't flake off later on.

Then finish taping up the black plastic and tape over the holes for all the lights.

Now clean the lights off one more time to remove any sanding dust. After that we are ready to paint. For this I used the Duplicolor VHT Night Shades that is specifically designed for tail lights. You can find it at just about any auto store. It ran me about 11 bucks for 1 can.

Lay the lights on a flat surface and begin spraying a smooth even coat over the entire light. The level of darkness is determined by how much you apply. I did one medium to almost heavy coat and was satisfied with the darkness. If you want darked let it dry for 5-10min then apply another coat. Remember not to apply too heavy of a coat or the paint can run making it very difficult to correct.

Once you have the darkness you like let I let it dry for 20-30 minutes then applied a heavy wet coat of clear. Then let that dry for another 20-30 minutes and followed with another coat of clear. let it dry completly (3-4 hours) then go ahead and reinstall the lights. You can now go ahead and remove the tape if you decided to mask off the reverse cutouts.

Now once this is done I let the paint completly dry and cure over night. Once that is done we can begin wet sanding.

Mask off all around the lights to prevent damaging the paint while wet sanding.

Now using the 2000 gritt sand paper and a water bottle mixed with a little soap, thoroughly mist down the light and begin sanding using moderate pressure. Continue to sand the light until there is a consistant and smooth surface. Make sure to continue misting the light and keeping it wet as you sand. Once the light feels nice and smooth dry it off with a clean towel.

Almost finished. Now we just need to buff the light with a medium to heavy compound followed by a finishing polish. Buff the light using light pressure until all the sanding marks are gone. Then follow up with a finishing polish to give it a nice paint like shine. If you want you can finish it off with a coat of wax.

Thats it! Now you have good looking smoked out tail lights that look 100x better than overlays that can be uneven and have air bubbles or other inconsistencies.

*Note for the trunk open button. I took this out and sanded and painted it itself. That way you make sure to get all around the lip of the hole in the light along with getting the entire button painted. Or you can just remove it and leave it chrome then reinstall it once you are finished.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great DIY, you beat me to it! The only thing I would DEFINATLEY change is the fact that you did not clear coat them. in two months time you lights will have dulled, sorry but thats the truth. Also Nightshades is a great product, but if you can spare a bit more money mixing together Jet Black base coat and Clear Coat gives you the BEST look and feel. Otherwise GREAT JOB
Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 PM
wakeboardr116

Did you read everything? I did clear coat them. lol
Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Mikenicco

Nice write-up! Any more pictures of your G? I love the color, I had the same color when I had my 350z.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
wakeboardr116

Thanks. I dont really have any recent ones of it. Here are some I took when I detailed it a few months ago. https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...nd-detail.html
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM
smalls'g37

nice...i might have to give this a try
Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any shots with the lights on? Great write up, Definitely will put this one to use.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
wakeboardr116

here's one. I'll get some more later.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Harley'sG

I just found next weekend's project. Great job man!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by Harley'sG
I just found next weekend's project. Great job man!
Haha, Thanks. Glad I could help.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 AM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look great. Blend good with the color of your car.

Do you have the specs of the spacer?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
wakeboardr116

The wheel spacers are 20mm all around.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:07 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
excellent job. i wish i was that talented.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Harley'sG

Forget the weekend, I couldn't wait. I'm in the process right now and hope mine turn out as good. I tell you though, sanding my nice and shiny tail lights is a bit unnerving!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
excellent job. i wish i was that talented.
Its really not that difficult. Just take your time and don't try to take any short cuts and you will be just fine. If you have any problems just post up here and if you screw up you can always sand them down and re do them.

Originally Posted by Harley'sG
Forget the weekend, I couldn't wait. I'm in the process right now and hope mine turn out as good. I tell you though, sanding my nice and shiny tail lights is a bit unnerving!
Nice man. Let us know how it turns out. I know, I was skeptical about sanding the tail lights too but its one of the key steps so the paint sticks well to the plastic. Otherwise it can flake off with time.

Quick Reply: DIY: Smoked/Tinted tail lights w/ reverse cutout