D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Reset TPMS Warning by yourself for FREE

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I just want to say something as a result of the complaints that this procedure does not work for some people. This is just instructions on how to program the sensors. It does not magically fix broken pressure sensors. If you have a sensor that has a leak, dead battery, or giving wrong pressure readings, the car will still show the TPMS light even after reprogramming. If you are having trouble with your light remaining on even after resets, you need to run some diagnostic tests and find out which sensor is bad. Replace the sensor and reprogram again.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You are correct Modme. The procedure works as posted only if everything is in working order. It's not the procedure's fault if something isn't right or working properly, then it won't work.

I diagnosed and corrected my problem. It wasn't the procedure that was wrong. It works.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Modme, just to clarify, I am not complaining nor do I believe the procedure does not work. I firmly believe it does work, and have tried numerous times because of that.

I'm not sure what my problem could be. Maybe a bad sensor on my Volks. I'm wondering though, if I put my stock wheels back on, will they have forget the information and will I need to do these steps to reset the stock wheels tpms sensor because they been off my car for a couple months?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Bird_Jenkins8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to have the dealership just turn the sensors off through reprogramming?!?!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK I'm frustrated...I followed directions and I get the light blinking (dont know how fast or slow it should be going though...but it seems like its blinking slow). and it stays blinking for over a minute...

When I go to turn it on it goes to being lit solid.

If I'm doing anything wrong it's probably the tire pressures...thats hard to get because i have a plain ol pump not a digital one...same with my pressure gauge.

I will go back out there in a few minutes. :[
Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

OK, still no joy.

To the OP or anyone this has worked for:

1) Did you pump your tires to kPa or psi? OP has stated that these have to be exact. OP posted: 240, 220, 200, 180..according to an internet search that respectively corresponds to 35, 32, 29, 26 psi. The first two numbers don't match. Can someone confirm this?

I chose kPa because the units are smaller...thinking they would be more exact... What have the successful people used? kPa or psi? I bought a fancy digital gauge with a bleeder button so I know I was exact in my measurements.

2) How long after the light started blinking did you start the car? I waited from <5 seconds to >3 minutes. The car starts and the light stops blinking and becomes solid.

and 3) were you inside the car when you turned it to ON or when you started the engine?? (I'm kneeling outside of it)

That's all I can think of right now. I might try tomorrow night after work if anyone chimes in before then. Thanks.

(Kverdina i feel your pain!)
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
OK I'm frustrated...I followed directions and I get the light blinking (dont know how fast or slow it should be going though...but it seems like its blinking slow). and it stays blinking for over a minute...

When I go to turn it on it goes to being lit solid.

If I'm doing anything wrong it's probably the tire pressures...thats hard to get because i have a plain ol pump not a digital one...same with my pressure gauge.

I will go back out there in a few minutes. :[

That was happening to me too.. (even though it hasnt worked correctly for me),,,, Heres what I tried..

Instead of grounding the wire while the car is not on (engine not running), I started my engine, grounded the wires and it started blinking slow for over a min. Then I drove it around with Modme's indicated tire pressure, and it took 17 mins of driving before the light stayed on solid. I then filled up all my tires, but the light didnt turn off.

Hopefully this works for you!
The following users liked this post:
james0076ss (07-21-2013)
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM
GraphiteG37S

OK, still no joy.

(Kverdina i feel your pain!)

Finally someone feels my pain..... ahahaha lol

I'm hoping it's not our sensors.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

i doubt its my sensors...stock wheels/tires and like 3400 miles? i hope its not...frankly ive only had this for 2 days now and i dont even care that much. if the light is on OH WELL...it adds some character to the dash.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Questions for you guys having trouble keeping the light flashing, do you keep the cable grounded when you start the car?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

no...i hit it 6 times then let it go.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM
GraphiteG37S

no...i hit it 6 times then let it go.
Same here. Hit it 6 times and them let go and start up the engine.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
fkat
Registered Member

Here is what I know that may provide hints to anyone.
1. Grounding the wire 5 times triggers the blinking.
2. You must start the grounding process immediately after turning to car ON (engine OFF)
3. After 5 groundings the light starts blinking. If not you have missed the window so turn OFF the car and start over.
4. After the light is blinking step on clutch/brake and start the engine. The light remains blinking. If it stays lit solid then something is wrong and you should go through tpms diagnostic.
The rest is driving until light is solid.

It has worked on my new set of 4 TPMS in new wheels and I haven't had any issue of light coming back on.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 AM
xyz
Registered Member

So I finally had the time to do this again after I got my broken tpms replaced. This time, I had to drive around for 15~20 mins, and the light went from blinking to solid (did not turn off in between) accompanied by a beep that lasted maybe 3~5 secs. I filled the tires up, and drove around for another 5~10 mins w/ the light staying lid. Any ideas? I also looked thought the owner's manual w/ no mentions of the beep . . .
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
So the TPMS can go bad all of a sudden and even on stock wheels? I think I have a slow leak which I'll confirm tomorrow.

Quick Reply: DIY: Reset TPMS Warning by yourself for FREE