D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.

I researched this a while ago and nobody was able to help me out. Taking these off helps a lot if you are painting the roof or adding a layover.

Here is how to remove the black molding on the roof. It is a lot easier than you would think.

<O</O<O
You will need some type of tool to help disengage the first clip. The manual has a “removal tool” that is nothing more than a flat blade. I used a scribe with a 90 degree bend on the end. This allowed me to get under the trim and right near the first clip (the tool acted like a hook). I then put pressure on the inside of the trim towards the center of the car and pulled up. Once the first clip was disengaged, I put the scribe down and used my hands for the rest. Gripping the trim as close to the next clip as possible, tug and pull at the trim until the clip lets go. There are five clips on each side. I started at the rear and worked my way forward. The clips stayed in place for me and looks like they were attached to the car before painting. Total time was about three minutes for each and that was taking my time to not hurt anything. With whatever tool you choose to use, be careful of the paint and the rear glass. I did not like the idea of prying the trim up and that is why I choose to use the scribe (to hook it and pull up).
<O</O
<O</O
Here is what the manual shows and pictures of the actual clips. <O</O
Attached Thumbnails DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.-rails.jpg   DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.-oct1209-057a.jpg   DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.-oct1209-048a.jpg   DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.-oct1209-049a.jpg   DIY: How to remove roof side rail molding.-oct1209-053a.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (04-22-2018)
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice DIY. now maybe someone can make some good fitting roofcaps
Old 04-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Looking to replace my roof moldings. Both sides are becoming a little brittle. For the 2008 Coupe (and for several other years and models), the FSM pgs are EXT-31 and 32.