D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: How to remove interior trim (lower dash).

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
DIY: How to remove interior trim (lower dash).

I'm sure there are some other threads on here with a lot of the same information but I had a hard time finding them and I've had a few PM's asking for these pictures. The main reason for this post is to make these pictures available to those who are fighting mounting tabs. A look at what the tab looks like and how it is positioned is usually what helps me get these things off.

I helped Her install a lighting accent kit so we took some pictures along the way. She really doesn't like the brushed aluminum trim pieces so I took this time to learn how to get the dash trim pieces out.

1. The first thing to remove is the side finisher (left). It is only held on by clips. The best thing to do is start at the bottom and get the bottom clips to pop out. I have a generic interior trim removal tool that I picked up from my local auto store. It works pretty good here. Here is the dash with the side finisher removed.
Name:  09Jan20016.jpg
Views: 6720
Size:  128.1 KB

2. Here is a look at the back side of the finisher.
Name:  09Jan20015.jpg
Views: 4802
Size:  94.5 KB

3. The next panel to remove is the lower panel on the driver's side. It starts by removing two mounting screws for the hood opener and two screws for the OBDII connector. After that the only thing left to do is pull the panel towards the rear of the car. There are only four or five clips holding the panel on. After the panel is loose/removed, there is one sensor that needs to be removed from the panel. You can either unclip the wire connector or unscrew the whole sensor assembly. I failed to get a good picture of this panel, so here is the shop manual step.
Name:  driverpanel.jpg
Views: 4851
Size:  60.4 KB

4. Now it's time for the little brushed aluminum trim piece (if that is what you are after). This piece is held on by two clips and a tight fit. The best way to remove this piece is to get your fingers behind the clips and push them through the holes rather than pulling on the trim piece. Here is the piece removed.
Name:  09Jan20010.jpg
Views: 4717
Size:  97.5 KB

5. Here is the space the piece attaches too.
Name:  09Jan20013.jpg
Views: 5008
Size:  106.3 KB

6. A shot of the back side of the piece.
Name:  09Jan20011.jpg
Views: 4756
Size:  110.8 KB

7. A better look at the clips.
Name:  09Jan20012.jpg
Views: 4723
Size:  110.8 KB

8. Now on to the passenger side. Start with the side finisher (right).
Name:  09Jan20025.jpg
Views: 4763
Size:  126.1 KB

9. It's the same as the driver's side, held on by clips, start at the bottom. Don't mind the other missing parts, this picture is out of sequence.
Name:  09Jan20024.jpg
Views: 4958
Size:  112.2 KB

10. A look at the clips.
Name:  09Jan20027.jpg
Views: 4753
Size:  151.1 KB

11. Next is the passenger lower cover. The are no screws or bolts here. Just pull down and then back.
Name:  09Jan20022.jpg
Views: 4772
Size:  141.6 KB

12. Tricky step warning. The glove box is held in by it's own weight. It's a matter of pulling the glove box down and lifting the back/bottom of the glove box up. The goal is to get the tabs out of the slots. After the glove box is disconnected from the bottom, a string that is used as a damper must be disconnected. This is from the shop manual.
Name:  glovebox.jpg
Views: 4790
Size:  51.0 KB

13. A look at the tabs on the bottom of the glove box.
Name:  09Jan20028.jpg
Views: 4749
Size:  144.4 KB

14. Now your left with this panel. There are seven screws that need to be removed and then a number of tabs hold the panel in place. The panel needs to be pulled straight back. I'm sorry, I do not have a good picture of the back side of this panel. I blame Her.
Name:  09Jan20023.jpg
Views: 4810
Size:  136.0 KB

15. Once that panel is removed you can pull the passenger side brushed aluminum trim piece. It's held on by four clips and it's easy to get to the back side of the clips so best thing to do is push the clips through. Here is a look at the dash where the trim piece mounts to.
Name:  09Jan20021.jpg
Views: 5035
Size:  94.7 KB

16. A look at the back of the trim piece so you can see the clips.
Name:  09Jan20018.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  167.2 KB

17. Honestly, I just took this out to see if I could do it.
Name:  09Jan20017.jpg
Views: 4725
Size:  154.1 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by Ivoidwarranties:
m3clubracer (12-14-2015), tite_tite (01-13-2016), user 9783o978 (03-05-2017)
Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice DIY, do you think you could make a DIY for taking off the interior door trim. I have crazy rattles on both of my doors, and I want to fix them!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TomG37
Nice DIY, do you think you could make a DIY for taking off the interior door trim. I have crazy rattles on both of my doors, and I want to fix them!
I have half the pictures I need and plan on pulling the drivers side door panel later this week. I'll see what I can do.

Here is something that will get you started in the right direction for now.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...l-removal.html

I like to know where the clips are so I'll take good pictures of the back of the panel.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
TomG37

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I have half the pictures I need and plan on pulling the drivers side door panel later this week. I'll see what I can do.

Here is something that will get you started in the right direction for now.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...l-removal.html

I like to know where the clips are so I'll take good pictures of the back of the panel.
Thanks that helps, I need to post a thread about the door rattle I have its getting BAD!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomG37
if you can figure out where the rattling is coming from (which clip), u can use a small flat head screw driver to widen the clip back out...you can do this by driving and listening for the noise...once you figure out where the noise is coming from (let's say ur door), put ur finger around that location and push while ur driving....if u still hear the noise, then obviously it's not coming from that clip...move around until u find a place where u've pushed, and the noise has disappeared....remember that spot, then go home and disassemble ur door and most likely it's the clip closes to the place where u've pushed ur finger....if it's a plastic clip, and ur afraid ur gonna break it when bending the tabs out..a tip i learned from the honda forums is you can use thin weather strip, cut into little small pieces...and tape it around the hole on the metal frame (doesn't have to look nice), that way, the weather strip will absorb most of the vibrations coming from the plastic panel rubbing against the metal...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great write up!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
TomG37

Originally Posted by gtracing
if you can figure out where the rattling is coming from (which clip), u can use a small flat head screw driver to widen the clip back out...you can do this by driving and listening for the noise...once you figure out where the noise is coming from (let's say ur door), put ur finger around that location and push while ur driving....if u still hear the noise, then obviously it's not coming from that clip...move around until u find a place where u've pushed, and the noise has disappeared....remember that spot, then go home and disassemble ur door and most likely it's the clip closes to the place where u've pushed ur finger....if it's a plastic clip, and ur afraid ur gonna break it when bending the tabs out..a tip i learned from the honda forums is you can use thin weather strip, cut into little small pieces...and tape it around the hole on the metal frame (doesn't have to look nice), that way, the weather strip will absorb most of the vibrations coming from the plastic panel rubbing against the metal...

Thanks for the info! I know the noise is coming from somewhere around the speaker, if I have to take the door panel off I'm going to put rubber/weather stripping around every clip.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
vINCe_Inc

actually very usefull diy ! thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow that looks like a PITA lol

Nice write up, now how do you remove the silver trim from the doors?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by STOOF
Wow that looks like a PITA lol

Nice write up, now how do you remove the silver trim from the doors?
That's an easy one. You click on this link and follow the instructions all the way to the end.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...oor-panel.html
Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
oh nice, thats all i needed to know that there ARE bolts behind the trim and its not just clipped in.

Thanks buddy.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
RONDOG37

Great write up and pictures. This is valuable as it also shows what it takes to replace the in-cabin air filter down the road!!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Nice write up. This came in handy today, I started wrapping my interior! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Saltin
Registered Member

This is exactly what I need today. Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:15 AM
kimmspeed
Premier Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
This is what these forums are all about! More than 6 years later and exactly what I need. Looking forward to getting vinyl and dip samples then tearing down the interior. Thanks from the future.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to remove interior trim (lower dash).