D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Headlight and Foglight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have AFS too, our system only moves left/right in conjunction with the steering wheel. The up/down (auto leveling) feature is not available with AFS.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Just did this. Took 5 mins. An 8mm wrench worked better for me than a phillips.
THANKS A LOT!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Headlamp adjustment for 2010+ sedans?

Has anyone done headlamp aiming adjustment on a 2010+ sedan that does NOT have AFS (Active Front lighting System)?
Now that the fog lamps are in the lower bumper there is only one adjustment screw to locate for the headlamp projector. In other words, no fog lamp screw to worry about or cause any confusion.

Questions:
  • Is the 2010+ G37 sedan adjustment screw covered with a white plastic collar as seen here - (LINK)?
  • If you have made adjustments to raise the beam, do you recall approximately how much you turned the screw clockwise? (I will follow the proper aiming adjustment procedure. I am simply curious)
  • Does anyone have a good photo for the 2010+ sedan headlamp adjustment screw?
I have the 2011 FSM (Factory Service Manual) and I have looked at page EXL-165. I looks straight forward. It's just that with all the varying threads for this that I've seen in the G forums it would be nice to clear it up for the 2010+ sedans. When I get around to it this weekend, I will take some pictures of mine and post them if someone hasn't already.

TIA
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, on your second question, turning the screw on my '07 (or any other car i've had in the past for that matter) doesn't feel like a 1:1 thing, you'll be turning more than the bulb will move -- great for fine tuning.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Fabianmg77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Has anyone done headlamp aiming adjustment on a 2010+ sedan that does NOT have AFS (Active Front lighting System)?
Now that the fog lamps are in the lower bumper there is only one adjustment screw to locate for the headlamp projector. In other words, no fog lamp screw to worry about or cause any confusion.

Questions:
  • Is the 2010+ G37 sedan adjustment screw covered with a white plastic collar as seen here - (LINK)?
  • If you have made adjustments to raise the beam, do you recall approximately how much you turned the screw clockwise? (I will follow the proper aiming adjustment procedure. I am simply curious)
  • Does anyone have a good photo for the 2010+ sedan headlamp adjustment screw?
I have the 2011 FSM (Factory Service Manual) and I have looked at page EXL-165. I looks straight forward. It's just that with all the varying threads for this that I've seen in the G forums it would be nice to clear it up for the 2010+ sedans. When I get around to it this weekend, I will take some pictures of mine and post them if someone hasn't already.

TIA
To answer your questions, 1. It is that white thing but you would have to remove it which is a pain in the a**. But once it's gone it will show a long screw that is the adjustment screw.
As for seeing how many turns I wouldnt know exactly I just lifted them up maybe an inch from stock. I probably will get banged on the forum because that might blind drivers but I will try that for now and fine tune it later on when I have more time.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabianmg77
To answer your questions, 1. It is that white thing but you would have to remove it which is a pain in the a**. But once it's gone it will show a long screw that is the adjustment screw.
As for seeing how many turns I wouldnt know exactly I just lifted them up maybe an inch from stock. I probably will get banged on the forum because that might blind drivers but I will try that for now and fine tune it later on when I have more time.
No it's not in the white plastic.
I adjusted them a couple months ago. I used a 12" phillips to reach down and turn the adjuster gear. I could clearly see it, down through a hole, as soon as I moved the rubber molding a bit out of the way.
I will try a take a picture and post it.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 PM
orey08

Great DIY. I finally decided to adjust my headlights. I turned the gear too much and I beleive they fell out of place. I turn the gear but nothing happens now. Any idea how to put them back in place. Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
tomro99

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
has anybody done this recently? i need to do this but would rather tackle it with someone who has done it before.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
No it's not in the white plastic.
I adjusted them a couple months ago. I used a 12" phillips to reach down and turn the adjuster gear. I could clearly see it, down through a hole, as soon as I moved the rubber molding a bit out of the way.
I will try a take a picture and post it.
Can you post a picture of what you're referring to? You have a sedan right?

I don't normally drive the car down pitch black country roads at night, but had little choice last night. At highway speeds, the lights were a bit too close for my liking.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Been meaning to do this for a while now.

We're finally getting some warm temps so I figured do it today.

In the later models (mine is a 2012 sedan), the core support arrangement is similar, but different - also, the lamps are different too because the fog lights are now part of the lower bumper, not part of the main lamp assembly.

With a good flashlight, I was able to locate the adjusting holes and used a make shift screwdriver (several 1/4" extensions + philips bit) to reach down in there. It does take quite a few rotations to get any noticeable movement. I just used my garage wall as a reference and raised both sides slightly. Will drive tonight to confirm if it's good or if I need to raise/lower more.

My question is this; those plastic rivets holding down the weather stripping would just not release. Ended up breaking both on one side. Later realized they don't really need to come off to gain access.

Where do I get these replacement rivets without paying an arm and a leg?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Been meaning to do this for a while now.

We're finally getting some warm temps so I figured do it today.

In the later models (mine is a 2012 sedan), the core support arrangement is similar, but different - also, the lamps are different too because the fog lights are now part of the lower bumper, not part of the main lamp assembly.

With a good flashlight, I was able to locate the adjusting holes and used a make shift screwdriver (several 1/4" extensions + philips bit) to reach down in there. It does take quite a few rotations to get any noticeable movement. I just used my garage wall as a reference and raised both sides slightly. Will drive tonight to confirm if it's good or if I need to raise/lower more.

My question is this; those plastic rivets holding down the weather stripping would just not release. Ended up breaking both on one side. Later realized they don't really need to come off to gain access.

Where do I get these replacement rivets without paying an arm and a leg?
I think a Home Depot or Lowes would have something similar.

Sorry for not getting around to posting a pic.
One thing to note. You don't need to remove the rubber at all. It's flexible so just pull it back an inch or so to expose the hole in the metal that leads down to the adjustment gear.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
FresaG37x

Rpm,
Im wondering where can i find the screw to adjust the headlight... I have a 2011 G37 sedan and i cant seem to find the screw... I did find the cream color thing the other guy suggested it was, but i dont know if i should cut it as i dont know if that is what it is...
Thanks in advance,
Alejandro
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Look in post #85. See the 2 rivets. You need to undo that part of the weather stripping. The adjustment screw is roughly below the rivet furthest away from the hood release cable. You'll need a long philips #2 to reach it.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 PM
FresaG37x

I have no idea how more specific you could be about this lol, but i cant seem to locate it... Just to make sure, its a 2011 sedan... Which is the same light setup as the 2012 sedan...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 PM
FresaG37x

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Look in post #85. See the 2 rivets. You need to undo that part of the weather stripping. The adjustment screw is roughly below the rivet furthest away from the hood release cable. You'll need a long philips #2 to reach it.
This is a headlight I found in ebay of a 2010-13 G37 sedan. Can you lay out for me where the screw should be? I have been looking for it and I cant find it. I previously had an altima and it was pretty easy, it was the big green phillips screw lol... Here its like mission impossible.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight and Foglight Adjustment-headlight.jpg   Headlight and Foglight Adjustment-_57.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY: Headlight and Foglight Adjustment