D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the grubbs? How did you mount the back up camera?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Is the grubbs? How did you mount the back up camera?
No mine is OEM and came with car, perhaps it's the grubbs then that comes with a red bar.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 AM
SteevK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ufo
no paint issues with mine. I got a chance to compare this spoiler side by side with the OEM spoiler - I like this one better. It is more pronounced than the OEM. my opinion only of course. I switched to the spoiler brake light also. I see that there is a rear deck available that doesn't have the brake light, but it is something like $500.
Well, it's a good thing I had the deal I got - I ordered mine with the spoiler, but it came through without. They added the $500 price to the bill and gave me an IOU for the spoiler. (took over 4 months! - and they wouldn't install a Grubbs, instead - I like the red lens, can I just order that part?) BUT, I forced them to replace the rear deck - I was such a pain while waiting those last months, that they were glad to grab a deck out of a factory-spoilered car, for mine, just to shut me up and make me a happy 2nd time buyer again - so this method would have cost me more...
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you didn't have to drill any new holes in the trunk lid for the Grubbs? You only drilled new holes in the spoiler since the trunk holes didn't line up?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
ufo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
So you didn't have to drill any new holes in the trunk lid for the Grubbs? You only drilled new holes in the spoiler since the trunk holes didn't line up?
It doesn't seem like a good idea to drill holes in the car if you can avoid it, so yeah if I remember right, 2 of the holes lined up, but that didn't seem very solid so I drilled 2 pilot holes in the spoiler that line up with the other 2 trunk lid holes. We're talking about fiberglass here, so these two holes are not going to get a huge grab on a screw, but if you don't strip them out then it provides some extra mechanical connection.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ufo
It doesn't seem like a good idea to drill holes in the car if you can avoid it, so yeah if I remember right, 2 of the holes lined up, but that didn't seem very solid so I drilled 2 pilot holes in the spoiler that line up with the other 2 trunk lid holes. We're talking about fiberglass here, so these two holes are not going to get a huge grab on a screw, but if you don't strip them out then it provides some extra mechanical connection.
Thank you and I agree that drilling holes in your car is never a good thing, but the Grubbs is fiberglass? That sucks
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Thank you and I agree that drilling holes in your car is never a good thing, but the Grubbs is fiberglass? That sucks
I think all these spoilers, air dams, ground kits, etc are fiberglass or some similar composite material
Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
LightningG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will do some photo's when i get the v2 version of the Grubbs but I did mount the v1 they sent me to see what it would look like. There were 6 screw holes in all, inner, middle, and outer near the spoiler tips.
1. The two inner screws had holes in the decklid and were accessible from holes in the sheetmetal frame on the underside of the decklid.
2. The two middle screw holes are not in the same location as the stock chrome outers, thus, there are holes in the decklid but they are not accessable from the underside unless you drill out the underside. (NOTE: I think some of the guys here like Shambly opted to not drill the underside of the decklid but instead used the stock outer location and drilled into the spoiler, noting it was not reinforced in that location).
3. There are outer screw holes near the tips. If I like the look of the v2, I believe that requires drilling the decklid surface and underneath, which I plan to do if I like the look. I think screwing the tips down would help give it a tighter appearance than just the tape alone but who knows?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by ufo
With the v2 spoiler, there is no underside on the spoiler to drill into anymore..if there is, you have the v1. Check out my DIY if you want to see the difference:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post2669173
Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Hmmm...is it me or is the spoiler mounted slightly tilted to the left when looking at it from behind? I keep trying to compare what are supposed to be parallel horizontal surfaces and they don't seem fully parallel - such as the top surface of the spoiler and the bottom part of the windshield, or the bottom part of the spoiler and the infiniti letters...hmmm
Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Hmmm...is it me or is the spoiler mounted slightly tilted to the left when looking at it from behind? I keep trying to compare what are supposed to be parallel horizontal surfaces and they don't seem fully parallel - such as the top surface of the spoiler and the bottom part of the windshield, or the bottom part of the spoiler and the infiniti letters...hmmm
everyone who ever posted a pic on this site of their handiwork hates guys like you LOL!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:51 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by ufo
everyone who ever posted a pic on this site of their handiwork hates guys like you LOL!
Why? Because guys like me actually measure, and like things done right?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Why? Because guys like me actually measure, and like things done right?
No dis intended - I'm like you but I could feel the anguish of thinking you have got it right and then proudly posting your pics and somebody pointing that it is crooked, which by the way is not easy to fix.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
notsoricer

i dont get y every1 runs the brake light wire all the way back. yo can just splice it to the little clip outlet in the third pic. imo its alot easier and less wire to run.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is what I did. Easy Peasy

Quick Reply: Spoiler Install