D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Debadging and rebadging......

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Debadging and rebadging......

Ok here is the DYI for how to remove badges from your car and how to install the new ones. Dont worry this wont be nearly as long as my headlight mod as this is much easier. Honestly anyone can do this.

First off lets start off with what you will need.

Dental floss/fishing line
paper towels
rags
adheasive remover
rubbing alcohol
quality wax
badges(if you are adding new ones)

First start off washing your car. If you dont want to wash your full car then at least the rear portion so there is no dirt.

next after washing the car take whatever adheasive remove you bought and take a paper towel. Put the paper towel directly under each letter or badge and pour a little bit of the solvent on the top of the badge. pour it into the crack up top where the badge meets car. this will allow the solvent to pour down the back side and soften the glue. Wipe up any extra with the paper towel and move to the next letter. keep doing this on every part. let the solvent sit for about 5 mins.Make sure the solvent you are using is clear coat safe. Dont want to destroy your paint.

Next comes the part of removing the badge itself. Take your dental floss or fishing line. Fishing line is better as it wont break as easy as the floss but most people have floss in their house. Wrap a small portion of each end of your floss or line around your finger. Slide the floss behind the badge right where you poured the solvent. Then with a slicing motion go back and forth pulling the floss from side to side slicing down the back of the badge. as if you were slicing a piece of cheese with the line. the letters will come off fairly easy. the large infiniti badge is a PITA. peel of each letter and badge as you go.

Now once you are done with this you will have the letters gone but still have some glue patches left. So take your solvent and soak a paper towel and push the paper towel on the glue left on. Hold it there for a bit a min or two. this will help soften the remaining glue. then take your towel and just keep wiping over the glue over and over again. It takes a while but it will slowly peel the pieces off. you can use your nails to scrape the glue off if you want but i choose not too as i dont want to scratch my finish.

Once you get all the extra glue off go ahead and take your clean rags and wax of choice and put a couple coatings on the trunk just to remove anything left behind and help the paint a little. If you are not installing new badges then you are done. enjoy

If you are putting on badges then you move onto the next phase. You need to measure your trunk area from left to right and top to bottom. Find the center from those numbers. Then messure the badge you are looking to install. for example I was installing the 350gt skyline letters. That was all in the center. So i wanted those centered since there would be no infiniti or nissan badge. Once I figured out where the center was i put tape on the end of where the badge should sit. then taped the badge on the car steped back and looked to make sure it looked straight to the eye.

Once i felt it was in the right place i remove just the badge but left the tape on the sides.

Now take the rubbing alcohol and put some on a paper towel. Rub the area between the tape to remove the wax so the badge will adheare with no issues.

Once you have done this go ahead and remove the backing from the badge and replace it back between the tape. DONT PRESS DOWN ON THE BADGE. JUST LIGHTLY PRESS ON THE FIRST "S" AND LAST "E". the reason you do this is so again you can step back and make sure it is where you want it and level. If you feel it is wrong pull off and try again. iIf you feel it is correct then go ahead and start pressing down on each letter firmly. Once you have done this go ahead and pull off the front cover from the badge and you are done with that.

Next is the 370gt badge. You will be doing the same process as above minus the measuring. because there is no exact part where it should go its more on eye and where you feel you are happy with the badge. move the badge around a few times taping it on the car until you feel you are happy with where it is and again put tape on the sides or the badge so you know where to place the badge again when you remove the backing. again take up the badge rub the alcohol on to remove the wax. then go ahead remove the backing and go ahead and place it on. again DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE WHOLE BADGE. SOFTLY PRESS THE "3" AND THE "T". step back and look. if you feel its good press it down.

Now you are done. stand back and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1571.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1572.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1574.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1575.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1576.jpg  

Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
UNV-IT46

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1577.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1578.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1579.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1580.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1581.jpg  

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
UNV-IT46

more
Attached Thumbnails Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1582.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1583.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1585.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1586.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1587.jpg  

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
UNV-IT46

and some more
Attached Thumbnails Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1588.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1589.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1590.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1591.jpg   Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1592.jpg  

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
UNV-IT46

last pic
Attached Thumbnails Debadging and rebadging......-cimg1593.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM
UNV-IT46

By the way i know in the pic of the skyline badge on the car it looks uneven as hell but its not. I shot the pic uneven on accident. Its very straight
Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are the skyline letterings the same place as the infiniti letterings?
if so i would just tape and frame the infiniti letterings, put the skyline letters after i take off the infiniti letters in to the where i taped.
well offcourse in this case i would have the nissan badge on it too.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by gan78mao
are the skyline letterings the same place as the infiniti letterings?
if so i would just tape and frame the infiniti letterings, put the skyline letters after i take off the infiniti letters in to the where i taped.
well offcourse in this case i would have the nissan badge on it too.
I didnt put them in the same place no. The problem with what your talking about is when you are putting solvent on to remove the extra glue its going to destroy the tape and make more of a mess...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job... ive had mine for 3 weeks now and just cant find the time to do it!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
gan78mao

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
I didnt put them in the same place no. The problem with what your talking about is when you are putting solvent on to remove the extra glue its going to destroy the tape and make more of a mess...
even wit painters tape?
coz i didnt have any problem removing with painters tape before.
they worked fine when i was painting my front lip on my 3 series.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by gan78mao
even wit painters tape?
coz i didnt have any problem removing with painters tape before.
they worked fine when i was painting my front lip on my 3 series.
anything with adheasive is not going to hold when you rub the solvent over it. its going to get tacky and nasty
Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

If anyone is interested I got mine from
www.amthotmods.com
The guy that runs this shop is a nice guy... tell him I sent you and he will hook ya up!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
If anyone is interested I got mine from
www.amthotmods.com
The guy that runs this shop is a nice guy... tell him I sent you and he will hook ya up!!
thats where i got my 370gt badge also
Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 AM
g-UN1T37

Thumbs up

Cool Ive been looking for those badges for a while. Thanx.

Wait i dont see the "370GT" emblem?!?

Last edited by g-UN1T37; 02-07-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

The 370GT are in the process of getting some in ...thats what he told me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debadging and rebadging......