D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

An excellent overview of 6MT driving technique. Courtesy of a G35 Veteran!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:21 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An excellent overview of 6MT driving technique. Courtesy of a G35 Veteran!

Found the below to be VERY helpful. Feedback?

Driving a Manual Transmission , thread @

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169286

On many forums I browse thru, (as im a enthusiast of all types of cars), there is such a misconception on how to drive a MT. All these talks of double-clutching, and how to correctly downshift, and riding the clutch a bit too much on take-off. Although the G's arent the easiest cars to drive in the planet, its not rocket science. We have high-engagement point clutches, but as with anything, you simply adapt to it. If you cant adapt, then you simply dont belong driving an MT.

For first, "double-clutching" is NOT NECESSARY AT ALL. These are synchronized transmissions, and whoever is doing this is honestly wasting their time. Double-clutching, to those who dont know, is the act of using the clutch twice in order to make a gear shift. So lets say your in 2nd gear, wanting to shift into third. You would clutch in, put the shifter in neutral, clutch out, then re-clutch in, and then put it in 3rd, then re-clutch out. This is simply f*cking stupid. Whoever is doing this, is seriously wasting their time because this doesnt "save" your transmission from abuse nor will it make it last longer. This was done on cars WAYYYYY back in the day who did not have synchronized transmissions.

Take a peak at this video...Listen for the downshifts as he comes back to the camera...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N18RmcuyV38

Do you hear his downshifts? You can CLEARLY HEAR, this incorrect downshift, and I addressed it with one of my boys that he is simply downshifting incorrectly. What you hear in this video, is this person simply putting the shifter into a lower gear and letting out the clutch very slowly, allowing the clutch to fry in order to catch up with the drivetrain. Although the slower you let your clutch the more you fry it, you will not feel such a sudden jerk/pull on the car, but it is still very bad for your clutch. Whoever this is, in this video, I feel sorry for your clutch at about 40-60K miles. When you do this, you are simply forcing your clutch and flywheel to match up with the RPM's in the previous gear.

The correct way to downshift, is to rev-match. Lets say youre in 5th gear, at about 3K rpms on the highway, and you need some more passing power. 4th would be nice...so in order to downshift CORRECTLY, the process goes as this...

AND THEN HE GOES ON TO EXPLAIN SOME VALUABLE INFO. DOWNLOAD THE WORD DOC, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A FIRST TIME MANUAL CAR OWNER LIKE ME.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Driving a 6MT.doc (37.0 KB, 1352 views)
The following users liked this post:
Samword (05-28-2015)
Old 12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1.. this should be alot of help. Thanks alot great find. Im looking to get the g37 manual for my first manual car.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:47 PM
go4gr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good document for first time MT drivers. I've recommended it to my wife if she wants to learn. I can't believe I've been driving manual for 7 years now in my 17 year driving career and I love it! I won't ever go back to auto!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:20 PM
GiGGaplease

that really helps for a first time mt driver. hope i do not stall out like crazy whenever i get the car..
Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
vinnys coupe

+1 same here ^^ lol
Old 12-25-2007, 09:12 PM
mellowish

awesome post
Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Youre welcome sirs !
Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
DetroitG37Joe

^^^^Chilibowl you are the man^^^ That right there folks is the 6MT veteran whose wisdom he has graced upon us. Thanks Chilibowl those tips have really helped my shifting a lot..... :-)

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
^^^^Chilibowl you are the man^^^ That right there folks is the 6MT veteran whose wisdom he has graced upon us. Thank Chilibowl those tips have really helped my shifting a lot..... :-)

NP boss
Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
^^^^Chilibowl you are the man^^^ That right there folks is the 6MT veteran whose wisdom he has graced upon us. Thank Chilibowl those tips have really helped my shifting a lot..... :-)
yes, indeed. i thought i was going to stall out a lot of times but only do it on a few occasions. i really think i am killing my clutch tho..i jerk the car a lot when i am getting into gear. learn a lot from your reading chili, thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM
shmad

as ive been driving stick for 8 years now, i can tell u that the way he explains the both double clutching and rev matching downshift is incorrect. double clutching is for DOWNSHIFTING not for upshifting. what the above post is stating that when u down shift--hold the clutch down, rev match while the clutch is held down, then proceed to downshift. when u press down on the clutch, it essentially seperates the engine from the trans so when downshifting in this manner u will only match ur engine speed from lower rpm to higher rpm, completely leaving out transmission speed.
to properly double clutch down shift,
--car is revving at 3k in 4th
--clutch in, remove car from fourth, put into neutral, clutch out
--rev match to speed of lower gear (since clutch is now out, trans and engine are now engaged. trans speed will now match engine speed)
--clutch in and place car into lower gear.
this whole process only takes an extra second to do. this guy explains it and demonstrates very well video of proper double clutching:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88575741675515

this is how u are supposed to double clutch. u dont need this in newer cars b/c syncros line up the gears for u so u dont grind when going into a lower gear. the only time i NEEDED to do this is when driving a neighbors '41 buick.

Last edited by shmad; 02-16-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 AM
shmad

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
yes, indeed. i thought i was going to stall out a lot of times but only do it on a few occasions. i really think i am killing my clutch tho..i jerk the car a lot when i am getting into gear. learn a lot from your reading chili, thanks.
u need to find the engage point on ur clutch so u dont fry it. get on a flat street, put it onto first gear and DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL. instead, slowly let out the clutch to see where it starts to engage. the clutch never engages immediatly on any car. slowly let the clutch up and find that spot. normaly its about an inch or two off the floor. so now when u are normally driving, at this point is where u start to rev the gas on a normal take off. otherwise ur gonna burn ur clutch. for the jerking, it means ur coming off the clutch too quick. keep the revs constant at 1.5k and slowly come off. the next time u go from a stop tr to come off quicker. then again try to do it quicker. there will be a point that its gonna change from a smooth start to a jerky start. u wanna it right around that point so that there is no jerkyness, but u get off quick. hope this helps. find ur sweet spot!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:02 PM
GiGGaplease

it really doesnt matter, if i burn the clutch and have to get a new one, i will. i am still learning on how to drive a manual, i am good at it but still need to get better..
Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
vinnys coupe

how much is a new clutchh??
Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shmad
u need to find the engage point on ur clutch so u dont fry it. get on a flat street, put it onto first gear and DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL. instead, slowly let out the clutch to see where it starts to engage. the clutch never engages immediatly on any car. slowly let the clutch up and find that spot. normaly its about an inch or two off the floor. so now when u are normally driving, at this point is where u start to rev the gas on a normal take off. otherwise ur gonna burn ur clutch. for the jerking, it means ur coming off the clutch too quick. keep the revs constant at 1.5k and slowly come off. the next time u go from a stop tr to come off quicker. then again try to do it quicker. there will be a point that its gonna change from a smooth start to a jerky start. u wanna it right around that point so that there is no jerkyness, but u get off quick. hope this helps. find ur sweet spot!
in my experience with this car, i've come to find 1.1-1.2k rpm to be the nominal range for a normal take-off...

Quick Reply: An excellent overview of 6MT driving technique. Courtesy of a G35 Veteran!