Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Coat Question (Pic Attached)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 AM
abomb951

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Coat Question (Pic Attached)

So I have this small peel area happening underneath my tail light now. I recently tried VHT Nite Shades with a clear coat over top, but I did a crappy job blocking off the surrounding areas, and I'm pretty sure the peeling is a result from some clear coat overspray. Maybe not though? My first clue was that when I noticed the peeling right next to the tail light, the area underneath the peel was still clear and shiny, it doesn't look like the paint layer. Problem is, I can't tell where the peel area starts and ends. I started picking it a little with my finger nail, but I don't want to go any further in case I make it worse. What should I do? I've seen videos on how to sand it down and blend it, but I really don't feel like doing that if I don't have to.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Find a good body shop to respray the clear on your bumper cover. you can probably get it done for 300 or less.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollo
Find a good body shop to respray the clear on your bumper cover. you can probably get it done for 300 or less.
If you read the thread its not the bumper cover clear coat that he has a problem with. It's clear coat overspray from attempting to clear his taillights.

It looks like the clear is coming off rather easy. I'd try some clay bar first. It might come right off being it shouldn't be adhered all that good to the bumper.